PDA

View Full Version : Strapless bra recs while pregnant?

luckytwenty
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I need a D, maybe even a DD if it's going to last me till the end. Any suggestions for brands? Part of the issue is I find underwire less and less comfortable these days. (And why are so many of the cutest maternity dresses made with spaghetti straps or no straps?)

Babymakes3
05-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Everything you just said came out of my mouth while I was pregnant! Only problem is that ds is now 20 months and I still can't stand underwires! I cut them all out of my nice VS bras. I can't find a strapless bra that doesn't drive me nuts so I just layer tanks under everything now, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I am not preggo now but curious to hear others suggestions on this!

lizzywednesday
05-13-2010, 05:22 PM
Ugh, when you're that big (I am, too) it's hard not to recommend a long-line bustier, but that's not gonna fly while preggers!

I've never found a strapless soft-cup/soft band style bra to give enough support ... and the dress should never be the bra!

luckytwenty
05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I am cracking up at the idea of a bustier right now!! That is hilarious!

How tacky would it be to wear a regular bra with clear straps?

lizzywednesday
05-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I am cracking up at the idea of a bustier right now!! That is hilarious!

How tacky would it be to wear a regular bra with clear straps?

You're asking the wrong person about tacky! I think you get a pass if you're preggo, though.

And am I the only person on the planet who finds clear straps crazy uncomfortable?

elizabethkott
05-13-2010, 09:02 PM
This has been driving me NUTS too!!!!!
Have the designers for maternity dresses/summmer tops never been pregnant? It's just NOT an option for these girls to simply "hang out" all summer - the ladies need to be supported, kwim? It's bitterly ironic that Motherhood Maternity seems to be the biggest offender of the wide-set-shirt-strap-that-is-too-thin-to-cover-a-bra-strap issue. A friend who was pg last summer just lent me a bunch of super cute tops... all of which show my dang bra strap!
GRRRRRRR!

PearlsMom
05-14-2010, 09:27 AM
ITA re all these sundresses and maxi dresses with teeny straps or halters or none at all...ugh!

I'm only up to a C, so this might not help, but I've been able to wear my normal VS strapless (I think it's from the Body line) by just taking out the padding in it -- it gives the girls an extra cupsize of room, and I need the band kind of tight to keep it up.

Personally, I would never wear clear bra straps, I think they're unspeakably tacky. I did, however, go to one of those cheapie teen stores (Charlotte Russe, I think) and stock up on very lightweight, swingy jersey "sweaters" with 3/4 length sleeves. I wear them over just about everything, so that I can wear a real bra and not worry about straps showing. Of course, as summer encroaches, this approach isn't going to work all the time...

luckytwenty
05-14-2010, 11:38 AM
ITA re all these sundresses and maxi dresses with teeny straps or halters or none at all...ugh!
I did, however, go to one of those cheapie teen stores (Charlotte Russe, I think) and stock up on very lightweight, swingy jersey "sweaters" with 3/4 length sleeves. I wear them over just about everything, so that I can wear a real bra and not worry about straps showing. Of course, as summer encroaches, this approach isn't going to work all the time...

Sounds super-cute, but I live in South Florida, and it is HOT here even if you're not a human incubator!!

lizzywednesday
05-14-2010, 12:06 PM
This has been driving me NUTS too!!!!!
Have the designers for maternity dresses/summmer tops never been pregnant? It's just NOT an option for these girls to simply "hang out" all summer - the ladies need to be supported, kwim? It's bitterly ironic that Motherhood Maternity seems to be the biggest offender of the wide-set-shirt-strap-that-is-too-thin-to-cover-a-bra-strap issue. A friend who was pg last summer just lent me a bunch of super cute tops... all of which show my dang bra strap!
GRRRRRRR!

I swore by ON because 90% of their stuff was OK to wear w/a regular bra.

IDK if it's the same this summer ...

ilfaith
05-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I had this bra from Target while I was pregnant.

http://www.target.com/Gilligan-O’Malley-Lightly-Padded-Strapless/dp/B002MPJ35O/ref=br_1_1?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&qid=1273866170&searchView=grid5&sr=1-1&node=13768211&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&field_style_name=Strapless%20Bra&searchSize=30&id=Gilligan%20O’Malley%20Lightly%20Padded%20Stra pless&searchBinNameList=purchasing_channel%2Cstyle_name% 2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin

I wore a 34D (not pg or nursing, I'm a 32C). I've never found a truly comfortable strapless bra, but this one wasn't terrible, and it was inexpensive enough.

Recently I've had a really tough time finding a strapless bra in a 32DD (still nursing). The one nearby department store that had anything close to my size had a few 32Ds that were a bit too small (my cup runneth over) but the only 32DD had cups that I swear came up to my chin. A 34D had perfectly sized cups, but the band was way too large and the bra kept sliding down.

lizzywednesday
05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
I had this bra from Target while I was pregnant.

http://www.target.com/Gilligan-O’Malley-Lightly-Padded-Strapless/dp/B002MPJ35O/ref=br_1_1?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&qid=1273866170&searchView=grid5&sr=1-1&node=13768211&searchRank=pmrank&searchPage=1&field_style_name=Strapless%20Bra&searchSize=30&id=Gilligan%20O’Malley%20Lightly%20Padded%20Stra pless&searchBinNameList=purchasing_channel%2Cstyle_name% 2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin

I wore a 34D (not pg or nursing, I'm a 32C). I've never found a truly comfortable strapless bra, but this one wasn't terrible, and it was inexpensive enough.

Recently I've had a really tough time finding a strapless bra in a 32DD (still nursing). The one nearby department store that had anything close to my size had a few 32Ds that were a bit too small (my cup runneth over) but the only 32DD had cups that I swear came up to my chin. A 34D had perfectly sized cups, but the band was way too large and the bra kept sliding down.

Again, once you're over a "D" cup, go with the long-line bustier if you're not pregnant.

It's seriously the only way to get reasonable support IME ... not pregnant or nursing I am in the C to DD range and this was my best option for quite some time!!!

sunnyside
05-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm 38D and 34 weeks pregnant (approx). I have a bra from motherhood that has clear or regular straps that you can remove and the straps bugged me so much I just took them off. It's really really comfy and was about $20. I'm pretty happy not to have to worry about straps and I've never in my life felt so comfortable in a strapless bra.