PDA

View Full Version : BJ City Mini as Travel stroller?

purpelina
05-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Love the easy of steering, folding, flat recline, big canopy and overall.
Concerns: a tad wide - will it be easy at the airport? Does it fit through that xray thing?
Want to use it during travel in Europe. We'll do some walking, but not that much with kids.

I always loved Macs for traveling, and recommended them to anyone who'd listen :) But last time I took a Mac, esp. to eastern Europe, it wasn't as handy. Streets are in bad condition = hard to push macs, plus it rains now and then, and one handed pushing over broken sidewalks is even worse. Don't want to bring a tank of an AT stroller, as it will either confine me to one spot (NO PT with AT!) or won't get used.

Ideas ladies?
Anything else I can consider?

DD is rather small for her age, 25%, so I'm not worrying about her outgrowing the stroller quickly.
If we ever have another child - that won't happen till 3 or 4 years pass, if at all, and by that time I will want entirely different heard of strollers... :love-retry:

Jelly Bean
05-13-2010, 09:34 PM
I know Florida is not Eastern Europe :hysterical: but the ladies here convinced me to bring my BJCM to Florida a couple months ago and it was perfect! I will travel with it from now on. We got a BJ travel bag as well.

It fit through the xray machine, no problem, and the fast fold came in handy so many times. We did a ton of walking over different terrains our trip and DD napped in it no problem. She has never napped in her Quest.

swissair81
05-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I brought my Quest to Switzerland. It was perfectly fine until someone ran their car over it.

purpelina
05-13-2010, 10:33 PM
which color should i get? I like red, but the beige / stone one looks cool, too. I'm afraid it'll get dirty quickly though...
But wont the red one clash with my daughter's pink outfits?..
She doesn't have too many pink clothes, but some...

I'm not a fan of black strollers, but they look kinda cool, too...
Nah, I'm so indesisive:wink2:

♥ms.pacman♥
05-13-2010, 10:39 PM
i have the red/grey BJCM. i just took it on a plane to CA last week. was great. i'm glad i brought it instead of the snapngo, as we did go for a lot of walks since the weather was so nice there. i agree it would have been nice to have an AT stroller but no way am i lugging one on a plane!!

i love the red color. i didn't want stone because of the dirtiness factor. never even thot about it clashing without DS's outfits or mine..honestly that never even entered my mind.

the only thing would be that i highly recommend getting the travel bag to carry BJCM thru security etc. it has separate padded compartments for all the wheels. since u can take the wheels off it's more compact and it passes thru the xray scanner more easily. on the way there we simply put the stroller in the travel bag on the conveyer belt and it was fine. then when we passed thru securty and DH assembled it so we could use it to carry DS around until it was time to gatecheck it. but on the way back home we didn't (since at SFO we could use the stroller up until security, we just collapsed it and tried to put it thru the xray scanner). this was bad cuz the stroller got stuck and it got really dirty from all the stuff in the xray scanner (lots of black marks from the oils). was able to get it out with Shout spray, but was a pain. next time definitely will always use have it in the travel bag with wheels off when going thru security.

purpelina
05-13-2010, 10:48 PM
why was it stuck in the x-ray? Is there a way to put it w/o the bag in there, and it'll go through?

We'll be switching planes, and have to go through security couple of times, with 2 kids and all the stuff we most likely won't put it in the bag, at least not when we have connection flights. When we arrive at destination, it might be a good idea though. Thanks for your input,!:waving4:

♥ms.pacman♥
05-14-2010, 12:06 AM
i have on idea why it was stuck. i went through first and i had DS in a carrier so i couldn't really see what was going on. even if it didnt' get stuck in the xray machine, it did get dirty from the inside of the x-ray machine (got a lot of black marks). i know because i had my inflatable nursing pillow in there (forgot to deflate it first) and it ended up with black marks on it as well. the inside of xray machines are REALLY dirty, which is why they have all those grey bins to put everything in. of course though, a stroller is not going to fit into those.

anyway, since it got stuck they decided to manually scan it (did those swabbing things)..i guess you could always request that to begin with so you don't have to deal with trying to put it in the xray and it getting stuck. however, that would might take as long as just putting it in the travel bag (which wasn't too bad IMO, just pop off the wheels, fold it up and put everything in). the other good use for the bag is for gate checking. made me more confident that the stroller wasn't going to get ruined (torn, etc)

Jelly Bean
05-14-2010, 09:08 AM
We used ours to push DD up to security and put it on the conveyor belt without the travel bag and it went through just fine. You never know! I wouldn't want to have to put it on the xray machine inside the bag because it would be a pain to do that while everyone is standing there waiting, and then you wouldn't want to take it out and use it on the other side of security. I like the idea of asking them to manually swab it if you're worried about it getting dirty. Mine is black so maybe I just didn't notice :thumbsup:

Eris1995
05-14-2010, 09:18 PM
We flew to FL with our city mini. It fit through the x-ray machine. We just used a black garbage bag instead of purchasing a stroller bag.