PDA

View Full Version : First Trike

teedeedee
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
DD is turning 2 soon and my dad wants to get her a tricycle for her birthday. I'm looking for a recommendation. She doesn't have a single ride on toy or trike type thing (just the radio flyer that she loves to be pulled in). So any trike or ride on type suggestion for a 2 year old would be appreciated. Oh and she's pretty tall- was almost 35 inches at her 18 mo checkup and she's likely grown a bit since.

TIA!

edurnemk
05-13-2010, 09:45 PM
We got a Kettler for DS, since it's more stable than the Radio Flyer. There's lots of models, though, I originally wanted one with all the bells and whistles, but after reading some reviews decided to get the simpler, lighter model so he could actually pedal it (the happy and other fancy models are very heavy). We got the Kettler go green, you can get it at target for like $50, other places as much as $80. We got the push bar and the seat belt, it's great for when they can't pedal on their own or you want to steer them in a certain direction. There's also a pink version of this trike.

WatchingThemGrow
05-13-2010, 09:47 PM
someone said that version is on sale (or rang up on sale for $29) at Target yesterday. YMMV.

neeleymartin
05-13-2010, 09:48 PM
i would NOT go with the kettler go green trike. we had it for our ds. he is very tall as well and seemed to be way too big for it. i can't really recommend one b/c i haven't found one that i like.

we have been eyeballing the schwinn roadster, as it seemed to fit ds better. but no parent handle for your little one. i will be keeping a close eye on your post for recs. sorry i can't be a better help.

pinkmomagain
05-13-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Roadster-12-Inch-Trike-Red/dp/B000FH2Y9S

We got dd3 the red schwinn roadster (actually grandma and papa did) for 2nd birthday. Besides being just classic and gorgeous, it is very, very stable. Even though she has outgrown it, we are keeping it as an heirloom.

DD2 had a Kettler and we despised it.

edurnemk
05-13-2010, 09:58 PM
i would NOT go with the kettler go green trike. we had it for our ds. he is very tall as well and seemed to be way too big for it.

I know there's other Kettler models that have an adjustable frame and seat so it will grow with your child. I just can't remember which model it is, maybe the oceana or the junior... I need to find the webpage with the model comparison and I'll post it here.

jenstring95
05-13-2010, 09:59 PM
We love the Schwinn too! There have been times, however, when I wished it had a parent handle.

edurnemk
05-13-2010, 10:00 PM
This isn't the one I had in mind, but it has all the info, for all models except the Go Green.

http://www.blueberryforest.com/kettler/kettler-tricycle-comparison-chart-technical-data.htm

I'd recommend sticking to the ones that weigh 12-14 lbs, the rest are too heavy for younger kid to pedal.

neeleymartin
05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I know there's other Kettler models that have an adjustable frame and seat so it will grow with your child. I just can't remember which model it is, maybe the oceana or the junior... I need to find the webpage with the model comparison and I'll post it here.

the go green is an adjustable. it starts out petite and turns into a super small, lol. not very adjustable if you ask me. the seat has three positions, i believe. we sold ours, or i would check it for you.

edurnemk
05-13-2010, 10:11 PM
the go green is an adjustable. it starts out petite and turns into a super small, lol. not very adjustable if you ask me. the seat has three positions, i believe. we sold ours, or i would check it for you.

Oh, I was referring to the other models which have 4 or 5 seat positions, so I think they might last longer. Our Go green is packed and in a moving van, so I can't check it now ;).

Tondi G
05-13-2010, 11:36 PM
we were quite happy with our Kettler Jumbo color!

Veronica's Mommy
05-14-2010, 12:28 AM
When DD was 2.5, she got the Kettler Euro trike, I think it's called. Classic red style, ordered from amazon. It has 3 adjustments, but PP is right, there isn't a big difference. She didn't use it much this winter and when we took it back out this spring, we had to go from smallest to largest but it still seems too small. She's had it less than 1.5 yrs. At 35"+ I don't think your DS would get the full advantage of an adjustable.
Big Wheels are fun, maybe he would like one of those?

MommyAllison
05-15-2010, 01:16 PM
The Schwinn Roadster is really cute, but both of my kids have had a hard time reaching the pedals at "trike age". DD can ride the Roadster now, but she also has a bike which she really prefers. DS is tall (90% for height) and still can't quite reach the pedals for a full revolution. You said your DD is tall, so it might be fine, but if you can have her try it first, I'd suggest it. HTH

zag95
05-15-2010, 08:04 PM
schwinn roadster! Love it- dd is about 36 inches + and 2.25 yrs.... got it for her 2 birthday.....