PDA

View Full Version : Downtime? What downtime?

twowhat?
05-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Twins started daycare a couple weeks ago. Previously they'd sleep 10-10.5 hours at night and take a 1-1.5 hour nap. No problems. Now they nap 2 hours at daycare (because that's when they are all pressured to sleep). So now they only sleep 9-9.5 hours at night. Which means:

Put them to bed at 8:30pm

Scream for 30 minutes (they used to play until they fell asleep)

1:00am - one wakes and cries for Mommy. This escalates to screaming if ignored. Mommy or Daddy goes in to quiet her before she wakes her sister. We need a bigger house so they can each have their own soundproofed rooms.

Wake between 6 and 6:30am (usually one wakes at 6, the other wakes closer to 6:30).

So, after 9pm: I catch up on emails.
9:20: I make my dinner
9:30: sit down to dinner/Facebook/BBB
10:00: shower
10:20: brush teeth, throw dishes in dishwasher, take dogs out for last pee
10:45: lie in bed hoping to read a few pages of a book
11:00: cannot keep eyes open any longer
6:00am: drag self out of bed, having not even gotten my required 8 hours.

This sucks.

twowhat?
05-13-2010, 10:04 PM
So, after 9pm: I catch up on emails.
9:20: I make my dinner
9:30: sit down to dinner/Facebook/BBB
10:00: shower
10:20: brush teeth, throw dishes in dishwasher, take dogs out for last pee
10:45: lie in bed hoping to read a few pages of a book
11:00: cannot keep eyes open any longer
6:00am: drag self out of bed, having not even gotten my required 8 hours.

This sucks.

Wow, apparently I've just typed in shorthand for a bunch of funny smilies!! Well, that pretty much sums up how I feel.

mousemom
05-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Sorry you're not getting any downtime. I know how it feels to be constantly on the go right till bedtime.

But I love the smilies! I've never seen that Darth Vader one before! I was trying to figure out what they all meant as I was reading your post and now I'm tearing up from laughing so hard!

ewpmsw
05-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Sorry that you're not getting the downtime you need and am sending good thoughts your way for more rest very soon. I did enjoy the accidental smilies quite a bit, esp. the Facebook one.

blisstwins
05-14-2010, 02:17 AM
I have twins too. All I can say is that I promise it gets better. I remember the first few years as a blur. Seriously, the most vivid memories are of my bones hurting from exhaustion.

HIU8
05-14-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm going through something similar with DD. When she naps at school (she is only there for extended care 2x/week) she doesn't go to bed until really late (I'm talking 10 or 11). Whe she doesn't nap she has a bath at 8, bed at 8:30, wakes up once in the middle of the night and then is up for the day between 6:30 and 7. When she naps, it's put in bed at 8:30 (she gets out of bed and gets us or screams until about 10 or 11) she still wakes up once in the middle of the night and then is up for the day between 6 and 6:30. It sucks and I'm hopeful she will outgrow this--DS did finally.

twowhat?
05-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I have twins too. All I can say is that I promise it gets better. I remember the first few years as a blur. Seriously, the most vivid memories are of my bones hurting from exhaustion.

Years??? We're only at 20 months here. I'm not sure I can last that long:)

deborah_r
05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, I don't have twins, but 8 hours of sleep happens very, very rarely for me too. My "downtime" seems to be doing dishes, scooping the catbox, walking the dog, folding laundry. I totally wish I could just work 3 days a week. All that to say, I hear ya, and I sympathize!

KrisM
05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
My downtime is taking DS1 to soccer games and practice. It took until age 6 to get there, but I'm liking it!

Maybe try putting them to bed earlier and see if they'll sleep better. Soemtimes earlier works.

I hope you find some downtime.

Loved the smiles!