PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Kids Magazine Subscription

Sweetpea972
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm looking for some ideas for my 3 year old DS and 5.5 year old DD. They could be separate magazines. What are your kids favorite?
Thanks!!

happy2bamom
05-14-2010, 01:15 PM
DS started getting Puzzle Buzz when he was 5 and he still loves it. He also gets Highlights, but he isn't very interested in that magazine.

KHF
05-14-2010, 02:07 PM
When she was 2-3, DD loved Wild Animal Baby...we kept all of them and DS likes to look at them now (17 months). Now she's moved up to Your Big Backyard. She *always* looks forward to getting her magazine in the mail.

Minnifer
05-14-2010, 02:20 PM
When I was a kid I *adored* Cricket - they have a bunch of different magazines for different age groups and subjects.

http://www.cricketmag.com//ProductList.aspx?type=M

alirebco
05-14-2010, 02:24 PM
National Geographic Kids

hellokitty
05-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Highlights, "High Five" for preschoolers. Amazingly, the Thomas and Friends magazine is not too bad, but it will feed the Thomas monster if your child is obsessed.

Naranjadia
05-16-2010, 01:14 AM
We have Ladybug for our 3 yo twins - it's a Cricket magazine and they really enjoy it. Now they're starting to enjoy Highlights - but I didn't renew it, so they're reading old issues. :p

MommyAllison
05-16-2010, 02:44 AM
DD loves Highlights High Five.

mommytoC
05-16-2010, 09:09 AM
When she was 2-3, DD loved Wild Animal Baby...we kept all of them and DS likes to look at them now (17 months). Now she's moved up to Your Big Backyard. She *always* looks forward to getting her magazine in the mail.

A second for "Your Big Backyard"...DD loves it! (We started getting it when she turned 3.)

zag95
05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
DD is 2.25- My mom (Dgma!) got her Highlights- High Five- for her birthday.... she loves it! It comes eacy month- and it's fun to read- she'll sit and flip the pages.....
The ladybug one someone mentioned sounds interesting- I'll have to check it out!

jerigirl
05-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Highlights, "High Five" for preschoolers. Amazingly, the Thomas and Friends magazine is not too bad, but it will feed the Thomas monster if your child is obsessed.

DS gets Thomas and Friends. He LOVES it. He also gets Highlights "High Five" and Wild Animal Babies. He likes those but not as much as Thomas! I am debating moving up to the next magazine after Wild Animal Babies.

ett
05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Click is a great science magazine from the same publisher as Babybug and Ladybug. It is geared for ages 3 to 6 so it would be age appropriate for both of your kids. Your 5.5 yo may enjoy it more than your 3 yo though. I subscribed to it when DS1 was a little over 3 and he wasn't that into it, but now that he's almost 7, he loves to flip through his old copies because he can read them himself.

Highlights High Five is a great magazine too and would be better for your 3 yo. DS1 was pretty much outgrowing it by the time he was 5.

Zootles and Zoobooks are great if your kids are interested in animals. Each issue focusses on one animal (or type of animal).
www.zoobooks.com (http://www.zoobooks.com)

KrisM
05-16-2010, 11:21 PM
DS started getting Puzzle Buzz when he was 5 and he still loves it. He also gets Highlights, but he isn't very interested in that magazine.

DS got this for a while and loved it. It was a gift from MIL - she asked me which Highlights he'd like. What I didn't realize is that it's a book club and not a magazine and she was paying around $60/year for this!

I'd love to get it for him again. Do you know if there is a much cheaper way to do it? He likes them, but not enough for $60/year :).

ett
05-17-2010, 01:21 AM
DS got this for a while and loved it. It was a gift from MIL - she asked me which Highlights he'd like. What I didn't realize is that it's a book club and not a magazine and she was paying around $60/year for this!

I'd love to get it for him again. Do you know if there is a much cheaper way to do it? He likes them, but not enough for $60/year :).

DS's liked the samples we got in the mail, but I don't like signing up for those book club type deals either. Amazon carries a couple of them and Highlights.com carries the same ones as a set of 4 for slightly cheaper.

94bruin
05-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Check your local library. Our library carries a lot of children's magazines. Way better than paying for a subscription.

vonfirmath
05-21-2010, 11:17 AM

There's a magazine of puzzles? Cool!

fivi2
05-21-2010, 12:13 PM
We liked Highlights High Five and Your Big Backyard. We did not enjoy Ladybug or Click (we switched to Click midway through since Ladybug was not good for us. Click was better, but still not great.) I don't know why, since everyone else loves those, but my girls were not interested at all. I agree with the rec to try sample copies or check the library - they can be expensive!

maydaymommy
05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Zootles and Zoobooks are great if your kids are interested in animals. Each issue focusses on one animal (or type of animal).
www.zoobooks.com (http://www.zoobooks.com)

That looks great for us!

We get BabyBug & Animal Babies. We could probably move up to the next level for ds1 who just turned 3. I'm pleased with them both. Good quality.

We also get High 5, and like that, too - especially the hidden pictures!

ett
05-21-2010, 02:16 PM
There's a magazine of puzzles? Cool!

It's not a magazine subscription though. It's like a book club where they send you a magazine every couple of weeks and if you want it you keep it and pay for it, if not you send it back. So it get's pretty pricy like KrisM mentioned in an earlier thread.