PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy LONG tops?

twowhat?
05-14-2010, 02:18 PM
I just filled up a laundry basket of my clothes that don't work for me anymore because they don't cover my tummy bulge. I'm realizing in a panic that I don't have a whole lot of clothes and need to get more for work!

I need LONG tops. My workplace is casual and I can wear tees so something similar to the Lands' End fit 1 layering tee would work (I have this one and like it, need to get them in more colors, though it'd be nice to have some cute patterns as well instead of just solid colors.

Where else can I get long tops or tunics? Even some of my button-down shirts are too short! Yikes! How did I ever wear these before? I'm pretty small (size 2) but slightly above-average height so petite clothing will NOT work for me. I've actually had to buy things in tall sizes before because they work better.

becca_g
05-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I have this same issue ... partly because I'm not in as good of shape as I was pre-pregnancy (although I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight) but mainly because styles have changed over the last 5-10 years so that shirts are longer and pants ride lower.

Now most of my old shirts seem way too short. I hate to get rid of so many shirts that are otherwise in great condition, but they just don't look right anymore.

The problem with a lot of the longer shirts these days, though, is that they're made of extremely thin fabric that shows every bulge.

I'll be following this post to see what great suggestions everyone has.

crl
05-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Try Eddie Bauer. I recently bought their ruffled henley in the touquise color and love it so much I got in the brown too. I also bought a sleeveless t from them. What I like is that they are long enough and neither shapeless nor too snug over my tummy/hips. They have also held up better than my recent llb and le t-shirts

Catherine

viba424
05-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I could never find tops long enough and realized I should be shopping for "tunics" to get the length I wanted. I like Boden tunics. Havent really found others I like as much as those just yet. At least online shopping it helps to search by that....sorry if thats not much help.

SammyeGail
05-14-2010, 05:16 PM
I also like the 2 Boden tunics I have gotten. Or other shirts that say they fall to mid-hip. I am 5'6 and decided to buy tall in Lands end tees once, I loved the length. They were long sleeved, I just rolled the cuffs up twice and it looked ok to me. It looked like cuffs had that look, it was well worth the extra length in the tee!

jvs195
05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I like the shadeclothing tops because they are longer. The layering tees are snug, but not really thin so they kind of hold it in and cover. You can size up if you don't want them snug. I wear them under jackets and cardigans for work.

I also have luck with some Eddie bauer and Gap tall items.

Andi98989
05-14-2010, 06:24 PM
I got a lot of longer shirts at Target last summer - between sizing up and the longer length, I was able to wear some XL Merona ones when I was 8 months pregnant! My other longer tops are from H&M. I've got a lot of long sleeve t's from Kohls that I got before I went back to work and they seem pretty long to me.

Snow mom
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I just got a bunch of cotton tops at Talbots. They are cut fairly similar to the LE fit 1, plenty long and not too baggy. The cotton is so amazingly nice (I think it's Pima cotton?) They were on sale at my Talbots. I got 8 short sleeve shirts and 2 3/4 sleeve shirts for under $100.

nupe
05-20-2010, 08:34 AM
I've been pleased with my recent Talbots tops too!

lowrioh
05-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Old navy actually started carrying tall shirts last year and they are nice and long. I'm 5'11" and their polo shirt hits me at crotch level. I think that Gap and Bannana Republic also have shirts in tall.

TwinFoxes
05-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I could never find tops long enough and realized I should be shopping for "tunics" to get the length I wanted.

:yeahthat: I think if you search under tunics you'll be more successful. (Although you will run across the occasional Mumu!) Nordstrom has a good selection (I swear, I am NOT on their payroll!) One good thing about the Nordstrom site, is it gives you the length of tops, so if you have a top you like, you can measure it and try to find a top that is the same length. Nordstrom's tops tend not to be as skimpy as other places, unless you're shopping in juniors (Brass Plum).

maylips
05-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Someone posted a link to these tops on a thread about non-shear white shirts:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3067224?...=searchresults

I searched and the scoop neck is 27" long - which is as long as the Gap tall shirts I have and many more color choices. I don't love my Gap tall t-shirts - some of the exact same shirts but in different colors fit completely different from one another.

I ordered some of the scoop neck and one v-neck (which is 26 1/2" long - not sure why the difference. The crew neck, which is my preference, is only 26" long, so I didn't even try them). I'll let you know how they are, as I also have a REALLY long torso and have a terrible time finding shirts that fit well on me.