PDA

View Full Version : Dear SIL

sidmand
05-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I like you. Really I do. But do you not remember at all what it's like to have little kids? Yours are only 7 and 10...but no, we can't just meet up with you at the aquarium at 1:30 or whenever you eventually get here. We've been up since 7:30 and got here when the Children's Museum opened because we're going to have to head back for naptime.

And even though you did tell us not to hold up our plans for the rest of the day in case you decide to stay in Boston we kind of need to know if our nieces are sleeping over by themselves tonight. It really can't be a "gametime" decision!

I don't get it. SIL runs a daycare during the week. She told DH that she's so structured all week she likes to play it by ear on the weekends which is all well and good if no one else is affected!

alexsmommy
05-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Ha. Yeah, my SIL has the same amnesia. Now that her's are 9 and 12, she's completely forgotten that vacations in un-babyproofed environments are no fun for those of us with kids who still need babyproofing. Or cruises with babies still in diapers and too young to go to the childcare room are not ideal for the parents of these kiddos. Or that yes, if you don't get to the beach until 11:30 then your kids will only see my kids for 1/2 hour because they've been up since 6am and we hit the beach at 9am and no, we can't just "hang out for a while" because dinner won't be until 6pm and if I'm going to expect my kids to function in a restraunt from 6-8:30 pm, they at least need to get an on schedule nap.
Sigh.

JustMe
05-16-2010, 12:33 AM
That would drive me crazy. I have known people like that and just don't understand why some otherwise really great people seem to think its okay to decide to make very last minute changes to plans that effect others without having a good reason.

ha98ed14
05-16-2010, 01:26 AM
...she likes to play it by ear on the weekends which is all well and good if no one else is affected!

MY SIL woes are on record in many posts in this forum, but I just wanted to say, you are SO not alone. Mine thinks the world revolves around her and her kids. She thinks nothing of cancelling plans that were made around her schedule just cuz... So feel justified and I drink a toast to you. "WE'r RIGHT!!!"