PDA

View Full Version : bike for my sons 4th birthday

Christeen_Trevor
05-18-2010, 11:40 AM
My son wants a bike for his 4th birthday in June.
He has been riding a Kettler trike for a couple of years and wants to move up to a bike.
Any suggestions on what kind we should get him -- one with pedals and training wheels, one with no pedals? what size bike
He is 42 inches and 38 lbs

smiles33
05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
DD1 also was on a Kettler Happy Navigator and was happily riding it still. However, I wanted to get her on a "real bike" so I just did all the research and bought her a Trek Mystic 16" bike with training wheels for her 4th birthday. The Mystic is pink or purple with flowers, so you could look into a Trek Jet (the boys' model). I also looked into the Specialized Hotrock bikes but my Craigslist had a nearly new Trek Mystic for $75 (they retail about $199).

I didn't bother getting a balance bike at this age, since she's tall enough to ride a 16" bike. I see lots of posts on here about balance bikes, as well as a couple posts about the Trek Float (starts off as a balance bike but you can add pedals to it later).

Do a search for Trek or Hotrock on the boards and you'll see other posters rave about them. Better quality than a Walmart/Target/TRU bike and if you buy used, comparably priced.

HIU8
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
We looked at a ton of bikes for DS. He is 5 1/2 and 44 inches. We didn't want to spend a lot on a first bike. However, we soon found that most of the bikes really are crap. We ended up getting a new Trek Jet (could have gotten one used but would still need training wheels). We are more than happy with our purchase. DS is overjoyed and riding daily. If you go for a new Trek, check with the store. Ours offered a deal where you bring in the outgrown bike within 3 yrs of purchase and get 50% off another bike at the store. DS will probably only fit this bike for 2 yrs. We plan to bring it back and get a 20 inch when he is ready.

WatchingThemGrow
05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
We have a 4yo (well, as of TODAY we do!) and a stable full of little bikes. We have been doing the balance bike thing, so she's really confident on them. We got a Trek Jet 16" on CL for $7 just because I couldn't pass it up. It's a touch big, and it's substantially heavier than the Hotwalk balance bike we have. After dinner, we're going out to the bike shop to pick up this "lello" Specialized Hotrock (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=47707&eid=4360&menuItemId=9270). It is a lot lighter than our Trek of the same size. I think the trade in programs are great, as are the CL deals. We just decided that since our friends would give us a discount at their shop and since three DC will ride it over the next few years, that we'd be fine to get one new bike in each size.

There are lots of links on the web that show you how to remove the pedals and do the balance bike thing if you want to go that route. From what I read, if you do training wheels, it takes a lot longer to learn to ride without them.

DrSally
05-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Check out a Trek Jet on CL. Excellent, solid bike and sturdy training wheels.

MommyofAmaya
05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
We have a 4yo (well, as of TODAY we do!) and a stable full of little bikes. We have been doing the balance bike thing, so she's really confident on them. We got a Trek Jet 16" on CL for $7 just because I couldn't pass it up. It's a touch big, and it's substantially heavier than the Hotwalk balance bike we have. After dinner, we're going out to the bike shop to pick up this "lello" Specialized Hotrock (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=47707&eid=4360&menuItemId=9270). It is a lot lighter than our Trek of the same size. I think the trade in programs are great, as are the CL deals. We just decided that since our friends would give us a discount at their shop and since three DC will ride it over the next few years, that we'd be fine to get one new bike in each size.

There are lots of links on the web that show you how to remove the pedals and do the balance bike thing if you want to go that route. From what I read, if you do training wheels, it takes a lot longer to learn to ride without them.

May I ask how the Hotrock is working for your DD? How tall is she? There is one on our CL (still pricey at $100) that I'm considering getting for Amaya (4 last week).

WatchingThemGrow
05-19-2010, 10:30 PM
May I ask how the Hotrock is working for your DD? How tall is she? There is one on our CL (still pricey at $100) that I'm considering getting for Amaya (4 last week).
The Hotrock just came home with us last night, so no news yet! They cut the seat post down an inch or so (It has an extra amount that is not needed.) Now her feet touch the ground flat, which should give her more confidence if we take the pedals off or let her ride it. We don't have the training wheels on it.

KrisM
05-19-2010, 11:36 PM
I'd skip training wheels. Really. DS1 had them at age 3 and was off them at age 4 (3 days after his birthday). DD won't be 4 for a couple weeks and has been no training wheels for 7 months now. We do have a balance bike and that gets some credit for no training wheels on the early side. But, my neighbors don't have balance bikes and the kids moved on motivation alone to get on 2-wheels this year. They are 4 and under and had been riding trikes or training wheels before. It took some work, but within a couple days of starting all the kids on the street are on 2-wheels now and 3 are not yet 4 yo.

That all said, we have Trek Jet bikes in 12 and 16 inch. We got the 16 inch when DS1 was 4.

WatchingThemGrow
06-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Ok, forgot to update this one...FABULOUSLY!!! She went out a couple days after the birthday, and just needed some help with the starting push. She's totally got that down now, as well as braking. She can start on her own, FLY down the street, stop on a dime. All the neighbors have mentioned hearing her happily shrieking as she rides around the block. I'm concerned that we'll need to get DS1 a 12" bike now as he seems ready also. Oh, she's 40.5" and they cut the seatpost down an inch so her feet could be flat on the ground.

carolinamama
06-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Ok, forgot to update this one...FABULOUSLY!!! She went out a couple days after the birthday, and just needed some help with the starting push. She's totally got that down now, as well as braking. She can start on her own, FLY down the street, stop on a dime. All the neighbors have mentioned hearing her happily shrieking as she rides around the block. I'm concerned that we'll need to get DS1 a 12" bike now as he seems ready also. Oh, she's 40.5" and they cut the seatpost down an inch so her feet could be flat on the ground.

Did the bike shop cut the seat down? DS1 has been riding his 16" Hotrock since Christmas but he is small and can't touch the ground with both feet, let alone flat. He has figured out how to jump on and start but stopping involves jumping off to the side and the bike goes down. If we could get another inch or so lower, it would be great. Otherwise this bike is fabulous.

WatchingThemGrow
06-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Did the bike shop cut the seat down? DS1 has been riding his 16" Hotrock since Christmas but he is small and can't touch the ground with both feet, let alone flat. He has figured out how to jump on and start but stopping involves jumping off to the side and the bike goes down. If we could get another inch or so lower, it would be great. Otherwise this bike is fabulous.
YES! They did it, said they do it often. Very helpful!! Go get it done. Not sure your location, but the shop that did it for me is part of a local "chain." It was $10 maybe.

carolinamama
06-16-2010, 04:25 PM
YES! They did it, said they do it often. Very helpful!! Go get it done. Not sure your location, but the shop that did it for me is part of a local "chain." It was $10 maybe.

I know it's 3 days later, but I just wanted to say thank you. I think I will call them tomorrow and see if I can take it in. We got the bike at Bicycle Chain.

DrSally
06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
We've had several balance bikes, and just got DS a Trek Jet off of CL. They have several sized to choose from. They're around $80 on CL.

WatchingThemGrow
06-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I know it's 3 days later, but I just wanted to say thank you. I think I will call them tomorrow and see if I can take it in. We got the bike at Bicycle Chain.
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1: Tell them to call the Carrboro shop if they don't normally do it and need to know more. Actually, the Raleigh store suggested it first, so they probably do know the routine. I'm not positive on the price...since we had 3DC in there at bedtime, lol.