PDA

View Full Version : New favorite salad at our house: Grilled Romaine Hearts!

fauve01
05-18-2010, 11:50 AM
if you haven't tried a head of Grilled Romaine yet, please do. It's the latest discovery at our house -- so so yummy and super easy! DH and I have been having it about every other night for the past month. :)

here's how we do it...

take a romaine heart (I've been using the ones that you get 3 in a bag at TJ). Remove the brown outer leaves. Then slice it in half the long way. Rinse it carefully, leaving the bottom part attached. Dry the leaves with towel/paper towel. Drizzle both sides of the lettuce with olive oil. spread the oil all around all over the leaves. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic on both sides. Put the leafy side down on the grill first, about 2-3 min. then flip to the cut side, 2-3 min. you can play with the timing depending on how hot your grill is and how charred you like it. you just want it slightly grilled, slight grill marks. Remove Romaine from the grill. eat like this or grate fresh parmesean on top. drizzle some balsamic if desired. YUM!

You can google "grilled romaine" and get some ideas.

zoestargrove
05-19-2010, 09:30 AM
WOW! I never in a million years would have thought to grill lettuce, but it sounds so obvious now that it's been suggested. I'll definitely try it this week! thanks

DrSally
05-19-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm going to have to try this. I saw a receipe for grilled radichio once and cut it out, but never did it.

WatchingThemGrow
05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
We grill a lot of pak choy and bok choy types of things from our CSA box, and they ARE delicious. I'll try the romaine soon! Well, when I say grill, I mean on one of these All-Clad grill pans (http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-LTD-Nonstick-Grande-Grille/dp/B00005AL8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1274278640&sr=1-1). We don't have an outdoor grill.

ohiomom1121
05-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Sounds delicious! Thanks for posting. I'll definitely try it next time we grill instead of my usual asparagus.

GrillinFool
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Sounds delicious! Thanks for posting. I'll definitely try it next time we grill instead of my usual asparagus.

Also, if you liked that recipe, try grilled scallions. That's right, those little bundles of green onions that are three for a buck at the grocery store. Excellent grilled. Sounds strange but so does Grilled Lettuce. I tried to put a link to the scallions recipe with the pics like the romaine above but the site won't let me do links.