PDA

View Full Version : basement carpeting recs

HIU8
05-18-2010, 03:03 PM
We are in the process of doing a Harry and Harriet homeowner buildout of our basement. Right now we are framing it out and finding an electrician to do some outlet and lighting wiring for us. We have paneling picked out and are doing a drop ceiling (we have mice issues and I don't want to be repairing drywall every time the pest company comes out). Anyway, we will need some type of carpet in the basement and on the steps going down into the basement (basement floor and steps are concrete). Any suggestions for innexpensive carpet --this will be the kids playroom along with an uncarpeted storage area.

HIU8
05-19-2010, 09:58 AM
:BUMP:
Anyone?

Kindra178
05-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Because I worry about off gassing from synthetic carpeting, I recommend wool with an upgraded pad for comfort. Home Depot has great prices and will most likely beat your local carpet company. Another concern, however, is the chance of water in your basement. Would you consider tile or travertine marble with area rugs? Much easier to deal with tile when there is water infiltration.

HIU8
05-19-2010, 10:17 AM
We just got the basement re-waterproofed due to a failed system and black mold. We have gone back and forth and have decided our least expensive option is to carpet. Plus the stairs are concrete and carpet is the easiest way to cover them.

WatchingThemGrow
05-19-2010, 10:23 AM
We have FLOR tiles over concrete. Works great for playing on, and pretty easy to clean/replace. Maybe more than you want to spend, but probably worth looking into... *I* would probably put some kind of sticky/gritty colored paint on the concrete steps (for better traction), then use FLOR tiles rather than use carpet b/c it would probably age better than a cheap carpet that would look/smell funky after a while, right?

What's a Harry/Harriet basement?

HIU8
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
We don't plan on being here a ton longer. I want it to look finished to people who come by as potential buyers (we should be selling in 1-2 years).

Harry and Harriet Homeowner--they were a marketing tactic used by a company that was here before Home Depot called Hechingers (they were from VA to PA). It's meant to refer to do it yourself projects.

WatchingThemGrow
05-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok, okay :)
What about a berber that looks updated and isn't too expensive, but soft enough to play on. I guess I'm just a little skeeved out by pile carpeting in basements.

Another idea that my MIL used on her brick floors- carpet cut to the right shape, but bound on the edges with carpet tape. Again, so it can air out. May look weird, though to potential buyers. Maybe someone in real estate can give a recommendation.

HIU8
05-19-2010, 11:09 AM
I would not do pile carpet in the basement either. Sorry, we are at odds at home b/c we need the space for the kids and really have to do it as inexpensively as possible while still looking somewhat decent. As it is my father is framing it out (he has done it before) and we are working together to put a ceiling in ourselves. the only professional we are hiring is an electrician to do some work that we just don't have time to do.

We also considered paining and using area rugs, but we still have a staircase issue (I hate the darn steep concrete steps).

Gena
05-19-2010, 06:50 PM
We have berber carpet in the finished part of our basement, which is a family room/playroom. We're happy with it.

viba424
07-07-2010, 12:07 PM
If anyone sees any deals on interface flor, could you post? They are having a sale and I wanted to see if I could add to the savings.