PDA

View Full Version : Where did you order birth ball from?

LD92599
05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
And should i get one that's more of an exercise ball (ie: in Target, except i've already had 2 or 3 of them and they just don't last) or get one that's marketed as a birth ball?

I intend on using it for sitting, etc before hand and then w/ the baby afterwards plus exercise.

brgnmom
05-20-2010, 08:44 PM
And should i get one that's more of an exercise ball (ie: in Target, except i've already had 2 or 3 of them and they just don't last) or get one that's marketed as a birth ball?

I intend on using it for sitting, etc before hand and then w/ the baby afterwards plus exercise.

I purchased my balance ball that I've also used for birthing from the Dick's sporting goods store. I think it's the gaiam brand (? not completely sure -- we've stored it away already since we're moving soon), and it has actually held up very well over the past four years or so.

Raidra
05-20-2010, 08:45 PM
I just got ours from Target. I've bought three so far.. one for Fiona's birth that's now in the attic somewhere, and I got two for Niall's birth, one small and one medium (the medium was more for my husband to use for exercise). They all stayed in fine shape.

JTsMom
05-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Amazon. I don't think there's anything different with a "birth ball" vs. an "exercise ball".

swissair81
05-24-2010, 03:46 PM
There isn't a difference at all. I went to most of the doula shops to see what they recommend. Physical Therapists were recommending the same brand. I found the most recommendations for the FitBall. I bought it on ebay for significantly less than I would have paid at a fitness store.

nupe
05-24-2010, 06:17 PM
I already had an exercise ball from Gaiam.com. So I took that to the hospital. Didn't use it though. My hospital room must not have been very clean because that ball was a magnet for dust/hair etc, and it was gross and covered with this stuff. I wouldn't want to use it that way!

swissair81
05-24-2010, 08:11 PM
I've heard on some of the doula sites that they bought plastic covers for their birth balls & then put chux on top of that. The chux should be clean at least. (Not to mention that if my room was that dirty, they would either be cleaning it for me or getting me a different room. There is no excuse to put anyone in a dirty room. Housekeeping should be cleaning them as soon as the last person is discharged.)

flamingo
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I just have my $10 Walmart exercise ball. My midwife said it should be fine and I've had it for over a year now.

flamingo
06-03-2010, 05:43 PM
BTW was at Walmart last night and actually their Gold's Gym exercise ball was only $9! While it needs to be decent, I wouldn't spend too much on it. Any exercise/birth ball can pop if punctured, they're bulky (unless you constantly deflate/inflate it for use) and if it gets gunky, it's less money you're out if you throw it away.

swissair81
06-08-2010, 10:22 AM
They pop? I thought they were indestructible. My mom still has the exercise ball she bought for me (I have scoliosis) in 7th grade. Alas, she uses it & I had to get another one. It's 16 years old. I think she's definitely gotten her money's worth.