PDA

View Full Version : Hypnobabies - Worth the money?

smcdonald2
05-21-2010, 08:19 AM
I feel like I am totally hogging this forum! But I do have so many questions...At your suggestion (SnuggleBuggles, was that you?), I read "Easy Labor" last night and it was incredible. I feel so much more aware of all my labor options now.

I want to use a combination of natural and medical pain relief. Until I am able to get an epidural, I am interested in laboring in water and/or using self-relaxation/hypnosis techniques, like Hypnobabies.

Do anyone have any experience with this program? It seems to get better online reviews than the original Hypnobirthing program, and I prefer the idea of self-study. I'm willing to spend the $150 on Amazon for the program, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has used this and would be willing to share their experience?

Tanya
05-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I got interested in hynobabies after seeing a Dateline special on tv where these laboring mamas used self-hypnosis and relaxation techniques and I was sooooo amazed by how calm it all was, etc.

So, when I finally got pregnant, I found a hypnobabies class in my area and signed up. I will say that MY hypnobabies class was a combo class. It had the hypnobabies relaxation techniques, but the teacher also went over all natural childbirth stuff and various scenarios and side effects of drugs, and interventions, etc. It was really a good class.
I ended up using the natural childbirth class stuff far more than the relaxation techniques. I'm a logical person with an engineering degree and I had trouble visualizing the hypnosis stuff. It's hard to explain. At one point, dh and I were cracking up trying to imagine my body as a large thermometer with the relaxation moving along with the "mercury". I just pictured me walking around with a giant thermometer sticking out my crotch and my head. Sorry, I just had trouble with it.
However, I went without pain drugs with both of my births. I had back labor with the first and knew what position felt better for me. For my second, my water had broken (same as first), but my labor didn't kick in and after walking, breast stimulation, showering, etc. didn't help, I did get pitocin. But I knew my options from my class and even with pitocin contractions, I was able to breathe properly and relax to a great extent (just not using the hypnobabies tapes, etc.).

From my experience, I'd strongly recommend an actual class. You can still do the hypnobabies program on your own, but I'd highly recommend a natural childbirth class. I still love the idea of hypnobabies, I just found the tapes to not work for *me*. I know many of the couples in my class had great success though. I just found that understanding what my body was doing during labor and how to breathe and use positions, etc. was what worked for me. I really think it has to do with how my mind works...math, science, logic.

SnuggleBuggles
05-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Glad you liked "Easy Labor." I thought it was just a nice look at options.

I didn't do hypnobabies but I had taken prenatal yoga with a pretty unmedicated birth minded instructor. She gave us wonderful advice and during each class we practiced deep breathing and toning (ahhh, ooohhh, ohhh..) and that combination of techniques was fantastic. I spent most of labor just sitting calmly, breathing and/ or toning. I would have gone to prenatal yoga anyway b/c it was nice to chat with other pg moms and get a good stretch going. Learning and practicing those techniques was a bonus.

Just throwing that out as an option or something extra to do.

Beth

o_mom
05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
I did Hypnobirthing with the book from Borders ($30?) and one additional CD I ordered from them ($10?). It worked very well for me. If I were to do it again, I would probably get the Hypnobabies self-study as it has more variety. The other thing I would do would be to practice while sitting or moving around. I tended to practice at night and fall asleep to it, so I tended to do that in labor which wasn't the best positioning.

mama2g03
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I did not do the Hypnobabies but did the original Hypnobirthing class. I took it when pregnant with my DS, so about seven years ago. It absolutely helped me have the natural birth I wanted. I used the visualization techniques for relaxation and I am convinced that's what got me through the surges (contractions). With DS my water broke before I even started contractions and I know they were much more intense than with my labor with DD where my water had not broken completely. I used the opening blossom visualization and it was very effective.
For my second labor with DD I just reread my book and practiced some of the breathing and visualization when I got near the end. Labor and delivery with her was very fast and pretty easy - three hours start to finish and just a few pushes. Now that I am two weeks from my due date with this one I'm going to review my book but feel like I pretty much know what to expect by now.
I think as a pp mentioned it will depend on how well you can use the visualization. I think you have to be pretty open minded about the techniques because if you think it's silly or don't think it's going to work it probably won't. For me I expected it to work because even before I took the class I had been using visualization in sports and pain relief when I was younger. Good luck with whatever you decide! Let me know if you have any other questions.

nupe
05-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I used hypnobabies home study course with second pregnancy. No classes were available for me locally. I LOVED it. Wish I had known about it for my first pregnancy. Totally worth the money.

sunnyside
05-21-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm doing hypnobirthing class in a couple of weeks. HOpefully between that, prenatal yoga, aqua fitness, my doula, and some reading, I'll be equipped for natural birth. But if I need the epidural, I'm getting it.

smcdonald2
05-21-2010, 03:06 PM
I have always planned on an epidural. But I have this fear that I'll be that random person who can't get it, or it doesn't take, for some bizarre reason. And I want to have some coping skills in case that happens!

citymama
05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
I did absolutely no classes but had an unmedicated (and not short!) birth a couple of weeks ago. I had convinced myself I was unprepared because I hadn't done all the classes everyone else had done. (I did have a doula, which heled.) That's not to say don't do hypnobirthing/babies but that you already have tremendous internal resources to help you with your labor and birth! All the best.

smcdonald2
05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I did absolutely no classes but had an unmedicated (and not short!) birth a couple of weeks ago. I had convinced myself I was unprepared because I hadn't done all the classes everyone else had done. (I did have a doula, which heled.) That's not to say don't do hypnobirthing/babies but that you already have tremendous internal resources to help you with your labor and birth! All the best.

That's the most reassuring thing anyone has said to me so far. Thank you!

Katigre
05-21-2010, 08:37 PM
I absolutely recommend Hypnobabies. I used it during DD's birth at home and everyone commented on how relaxed I was the entire time. The contractions were intense - but I was able to relax through each one with a combination of DH and my doula coaching me and listening to the HB tracks. I do think the Hbabies is more comprehensive than Hypnobirthing.

I would look for it used for a bit cheaper.

But even if HB had been completely useless during labor, it would still be worth the money to me. Listening to the tracks every night my last trimester was so relaxing - I felt at peace internally, I slept so well (it would put me to sleep within 15 minutes every night). Even now, over a year later, I still listen to the HB tracks if I'm uncomfortable (I had a terrible headache last month and the only thing that helped was listening to HB b/c it put me right to sleep so I didn't feel the pain :)). I also used it when taking a plane flight because I get pretty bad flight anxiety, but doing the HB exercises and listening to the tracks allowed me to remain calm in spite of turbulence.

swissair81
05-24-2010, 04:09 PM
I have never done classes. I did work as an L & D RN and I got to see up close how the unmedicated ladies managed their labors. My labor before starting that job was medicated. My 2 labors afterward were completely natural. I wanted it badly enough, so I figured it out as I went along.

flamingo
06-03-2010, 05:50 PM
FYI check this out- http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor.com/epidural-side-effects.html You may not want that epidural afterall... I know a lot of ppl love hypnobabies but for my first I'm just going to take a general natural birthing class for my homebirth with a midwife and doula. If you do hypnobabies, let us know how it went! :)

swissair81
06-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I have never done classes. I did work as an L & D RN and I got to see up close how the unmedicated ladies managed their labors. My labor before starting that job was medicated. My 2 labors afterward were completely natural. I wanted it badly enough, so I figured it out as I went along.

That said, i decided to buy the hypnobabies course this time. I love doing the exercises. They make me so relaxed.

smcdonald2
06-03-2010, 08:14 PM

May I ask why you decided to go unmedicated for your third labor? I'm really interested to hear from someone who's done it both ways, especially a nurse.

swissair81
06-06-2010, 02:30 PM
I was unmedicated for both my 2nd & 3rd labors. The pros of the epidural was that I had time to rest & breathe. The cons were that I had a huge episiotomy that still bothers me 7.5 years later, my recovery after the epidural was harder- I wasn't myself for hours, the baby was sleepier, I needed to be catheterized to urinate and also I felt like I failed (I planned to labor naturally the first time & couldn't once they strapped me in bed and wouldn't let me move). I have also personally seen a woman who needed to be intubated after her epidural. It was placed too high & it paralyzed her lungs. She spent the rest of her hospital stay in the ICU.

My 2nd labor, I knew I wanted no epidural, so I hired a doula. She actually didn't end up helping much. My 2nd labor was 3 hours (vs 8 for my first labor) & I made it to the hospital with 20 minutes to spare. I was 7 cm & vomiting when I arrived in the hospital. I was fully dilated a blink of an eye after they checked me & my water broke everywhere. No monitor, no IV, no nothing. The epidural wasn't in the cards even if I had chickened out. The recovery was the fully deciding factor to want to do it again- no cuts, no tears, no stitches & I felt perfect the second the baby was out. So I planned to do it again with my third. I went to the hospital sooner & my dh coached my breathing. I was calm & controlled & felt on top of the world. I picked a Dr who would work with me. I didn't lie down my entire labor. The only thing I would do differently this time, is I am not planning to push lying on my back.