PDA

View Full Version : How does your OB determine the position of your baby?

moonsky
05-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I am 32 wks. My OB would like to do the pelvic exam to check whether the baby's head is down at 35 wks visit. As last visit, I told him that I didn't want any pelvic exam till the labor. So, he then gave me an option of the sonogram. Honestly, I don't really like to do the sonogram either and only have them done only they are truly medical nessary. Any other options available?

LMPC
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
OB did a pelvic (at my request) to determine position at 38 weeks. I knew she was breech (her head was wedged underneath my ribs!). Two days later they did a sonogram to measure movement and her size, which obviously also showed that she was breech! She was a total monkey even in the womb :)

MoJo
05-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Both the OB and the midwife have been able to tell through pressing on my belly what position baby is in. The midwife had it so exactly that it literally took her one second to find the heartbeat this time.

wellyes
05-21-2010, 04:12 PM
My midwife and OB both do it just by pressing on my belly. My midwife also says she can give an estimate of weight that way. She was on the money with DD.

pb&j
05-21-2010, 04:26 PM
My OB just pressed on my belly. He's got a sixth sense! Other docs in the practice would have to search all around for the heartbeat, but he'd just plop the doppler down, and there it was, first try, every time.

Toward the end of pregnancy, I could tell which way the baby was facing - once you figure out which lump feels like a head, and which feels like a bottom, and which pointy parts are elbows vs knees, it's pretty unmistakable. I think spinningbabies.com has some tips for figuring out how the baby is positioned.

SnuggleBuggles
05-21-2010, 04:28 PM
They just palpated (felt around) on my belly. Your Dr. sounds like they really like technology and "doing stuff." At 32w that just really isn't necessary.

Beth

o_mom
05-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Mine always just felt my baby (Leopold's Maneuvers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold's_maneuvers)) and then could find the HB in about 2 seconds. I think she did a quick pelvic when she did the GBS test at 35 or 36 weeks since I was already undressed. I had the option of and internal at each visit from 37-38 wks on.

SnuggleBuggles
05-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Btw, I did my own GBS swab so never got undressed at any but my 1st appointment until I asked to have my membranes swept at 41+ weeks. It was interesting and I really liked it (not the swab :) just that I got to be in charge of things).

Beth