PDA

View Full Version : bord 19 month old:(

soontobe
05-23-2010, 09:48 AM
okay I think I need to get some new/older toys for ds. He is almost 19 months and we have really awesome toys for him up until a few weeks ago. now he seems pretty bord and is jumping off the walls because of it!

I do have the color wonder for him which he loves. tons of books, stacking cups, a bead maze, a riding toy, and 2 push toys which he loves. all the other stuff (including little people!) really doesn't interest him.

please help!!!! he seems to need a challange to keep him busy:)

thanks!!!!

p.s-if you know of any good prices BM stores in NYC that would be helpful too

SnuggleBuggles
05-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Honestly, the real world is just so interesting at that age that it really doesn't matter if you own an entire preschool's worth of toys! Things like climbing the furniture and getting into real stuff can be really hard to resist at this age. You can buy new things but don't despair if they aren't played with non-stop and he'd prefer to dig in the cabinets or take books off the bookshelf.

Remo drum, remote controlled car, Little People toy (like house, pirate ship...these might be something he grows into playing with "right"/ traditionally but still fun), bead maze- those are some ideas.

eta- childproofing as best you can and just letting him explore would be the best toy at this age. :)

Beth

wellyes
05-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes, that's a transition age. Time for pretend play. I have a girl so my examples more "girl" than "boy" but truly at that age doesn't matter. These are all toys I plan use for a toddler boy too:

- doll with toy stroller
- tool kit like this
(http://www.amazon.com/iPlay-Cool-Tools-Activity-Set/dp/B00009KWSR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1274622915&sr=1-1)- play kitchen
- tea set
- cars and race track or one of those carpets with "roads" on it (for that age, clunky plastic cars - not matchbox)
- Toy food with velcro kind that they "cut" or the kind they stack like this (http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Wooden-Sandwich-Making-Set/dp/B00006JZCS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1274622818&sr=8-10)

And of course lots of playing with mom & dad. ITA with the PP, it's really all about exploration and interaction at that age, truly no need to spend a fortune on toys.

Momof3Labs
05-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Puzzles. We started with floor puzzles and basic peg puzzles at this age, and both boys (but especially DS1) loved them.

happymom
05-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Megablox!! DD can sit and play with those for a looong time.

elephantmeg
05-23-2010, 01:56 PM
small slide, toy cars/tractors, climbing things. DS loved to climb step ladders at that age. This was also the age he started doing well on park playsets. We didn't build ours until he was 2 but the summer before he would tear up the ones at campgrounds and parks

zag95
05-23-2010, 07:10 PM
As many PP have posted:

Puzzles
Art work- drawing- using sidewalk chalk outside, etc
train sets? (Ikea has a cute one that isn't quite so big)
Doctor's kit?

DD is more into creative play- kitchen, tools, etc...... we are seeing that expand daily!

TwinFoxes
05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
I second the play kitchen. He probably won't even pretend that he's cooking. But opening and closing drawers and cabinets is super fun at that age. Putting lids on, taking them off, it's entertaining for long stretches of time.

My girls also really like trains. This one saved me during this year's blizzards.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Fold-Up-Train/dp/B001GQ1DMQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1274662540&sr=1-3

They are also fans of hand puppets, but you have to be into making up characters and stuff, which isn't everyone's thing. Oh, musical instruments are big too, everything from spoons on pots to their xylophone, maracas, and tambourine.

They also like their outside climbing toy, and sand table.

Momof3Labs
05-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Oh, yes, DS1 loved Thomas trains at that age. He would build super-long trains and take them around the track on his train table.

mousemom
05-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Second many of the items already mentioned - megablocks, puzzles, shape sorters, tea set, etc. Some of the ones that keep DS engaged the longest, though, are home-made toys. He has a set of construction paper shapes in many different colors, laminated with contact paper, that he loves to sort through. We've also put the contact paper up on the wall, sticky side out, and attached pictures cut out of magazines to make a collage. Yesterday I gave him a bin of dried macaroni and he spent a good 45 minutes to an hour just transferring handfuls to a smaller bucket (it was slow going b/c he'd drop some and then have to go pick up each piece individually before he continued). Dropping clothespins into an empty milk jug was fun too, although a little hard to get them back out again.

MommyAllison
05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
DS is 24 months, and has been really into cars/trucks for a few months, but being outside is his very favorite thing. On days we don't go outside, he is climbing the walls!

Bella's Mommy
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
We have two boys who absolutely flipped out for Thomas the Tank Engine at that age. I would recommend a couple wooden trains (Thomas of course, and another main character, maybe James or Percy and Annie & Clarabel), and a simple wood track comfigured in a small circle. It has been a few years since we bought the starter set, but you should be able to find a basic starter set at any toy store and even Michaels. If you aren't opposed to DVDs, you can get a Thomas DVD as well. It will set the stage (so to speak) of who the characters are and what they do and where they "live." I second the Melissa & Doug wooden food sets with velcro -birthday cake, pizza and fruits & veggies-they come with little "knives" or "servers" and kids that age love them. I have one additional toy to add to my "top toy" list - a smallish rubber playground ball (they are $1.99 at Toys R Us and our supermarket) and both ds and dd loved balls at that age.:)

cath_b
05-29-2010, 03:32 AM
My son is now 2 years and 8 months and STILL absolutely loves his trains. He could be entertained in the sunroom for hours if we'd let him. You can buy the cheaper imaginarium train starter set (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299783) it comes with a figure 8 track and 4 trains, trees, buildings and a bridge. What's great about this is its compatibility with Thomas wooden trains and accessories.

Another thing he loves and keeps him entertained is playdoh with all the different molds and accessories. It also calms him down A LOT. By the time he realizes it, it's naptime.

The most inexpensive one yet is letting him use one of your bottom cabinets fill it with plastic containers with lids of different size and shapes.

Now that the weather is getting nicer (at least here in Northern California), nothing beats the outdoors. I sometimes take my DS for a walk with a small plastic bucket and go on a "nature walk". We try to find to find different things outside leaves, twigs, flowers, and of course bugs. He got a kick out of the Armadillidium or better known us the roly poly or pill bug. I had an awesome time showing him that it could turn into a ball. Just DON'T FORGET YOUR SUNSCREEN.

MamaKath
05-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Some things he is probably just about ready for would be cars, trains, kitchen playset, blocks, and megabloks. Do you have a yard? Maybe some new outside play things like a sand and water table (even if you only have a patio or terrace) or a swing would be fun. Also a ride on toy. Maybe even a stuffed toy or doll and a stroller or wagon for it would give some play to build upon.

MamaKath
05-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Oh forgot one of my kids favorites at this point was water play- they LOVED to put some warm water in a container on the porch with liquid soap and an egg beater. We'd put in boats, cups, balls, bottles and lids. Then we'd let the kids climb in it! That was their favorite!!!!

janine
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
My DD is 20 mo's and also got bored with her room full of toys recently. Mega blocks don't get alot of attention unfortunately.

What has inspired her has been crayons and pieces of paper (erasable is a good preacautionary move--and wide ones for this age group). Easel along with those is a nice perk but not necessary. I picked up the Cozy Coupe, but hasn't arrived yet so can't vouch for it. And also the Play Kitchen!

Basically toys that require more interaction and new skills. I'm also about to buy magnetic alphabet as my DD loves the alphabet!

Let us know what you decide!

swrc00
06-05-2010, 08:36 PM
My DS is also 19 months. These are his favorite toys right now:

Little Tikes workbench
http://www.littletikes.com/toys/toys-detail.aspx?Product_ID=8350
We have an older version of this one.

Tonka Wheelpals Triple Track Tower.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/189-6186133-5051902?asin=B000BCEJ9A&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B000BCEJ9A&CPNG=baby&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

FP Little People Farm

Playskool Busy Gears.
http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=18813&site=CI&cm_mmc=cse-_-googlebase-_-toys_books-_-HS-036&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=HS-036