PDA

View Full Version : What toys are at Grandma's house?

ourbabygirl
05-23-2010, 03:42 PM
My parents went from 1 to 4 grandkids within about 3 months, and this year they'll be going from 4 to 7. All they really have are some small toys that they got when my nephew was born 4 years ago; basically some Megablox, Matchbox cars, and lots of odds-and-ends little things. They do have lots of books and some puzzles, but nothing very big or substantial or (IMO) 'fun' to play with. My mom would eventually like a doll house for the granddaughters to play with, but the girls are still a bit young for that. Other than that, I'm trying to think of what I could get for them.
It would be cool for them to have some sort of sandbox and play set, but I don't know that they'd be willing to 'kiddify' their yard like that.

Any suggestions? What is there to play with at your parents' or IL's house?

Thanks!

zag95
05-23-2010, 07:05 PM
DD is 2.25 yrs and is the first grandchild, this is what they have:

A FP bouncer seat (the rocking one that goes up to 40 lbs)
A exersaucer (found at a gsale for 2.50)- which we have outgrown
A rocking horse (little tikes) that is plastic ( we use it indoors and then a little on the deck)
A bead set from IKEA- where you move the beads along the track- there are like 3 tracks
Lots of books and puzzles
Lots of toys from when I was a child- stacking rings, tupperware shape sorter, popcorn popper, FP doctor kit- etc
A few Little people items (they have the carnival set that they gave DD for x-mas- it lives at GAGAS)
An egg carton for counting macadamia nuts, beans etc
A highchair and booster chair
A jogger/stroller (BJCC) that they found used at a sale- that they use for traveling in the hood on walks
An old plastic Step 2 or Little Tikes wagon that my dad cleaned up- was free from my brother's property that he uncovered when cleaning up the landscaping!
A swimming pool (wading pool) for hot weather!
My old dolls, dollhouse, counting pal, etc.

Easel from a friend

Many of the items were free from others, or garage sale/CL finds. My parents take care of DD 2x per week- so it has been good to have them "stocked" up on gear- DD also has a crib at Gagas house.. which has been helpful, particularly the time when DH and I got food poisoning and were incapacitated to take care of DD (talk about misery!!!)

Hope this is helpful!

vludmilla
05-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Puzzles
Books
Little People
Legos
Tea Set
Blocks
Toy car ride on
Plasma car
art stuff
Play doh
Train stuff
Play food/Play oven
Doll play stuff
Cars and road mat
Doll high chair
I guess it is a lot of stuff!

vonfirmath
05-24-2010, 09:30 AM
depends. How long will kid be at Grandparents? Every week? Makes a lot more sense to have lots of toys there than if it is 1 week a year.

Growing up, we went to the grandparents for one week a year and we took everything with us we played with there. The new backyard, seeing grandparents, etc. was enough to not need a lot of toys at their house.