PDA

View Full Version : Chicco Liteway vs. Maclaren Triumph

theriviera
05-23-2010, 11:07 PM
i'm in the market for an umbrella stroller for travel and to keep in the car. i went to bru today and tested the maclaren triumph and the chicco liteway. the chicco seemed really nice and it's only $115 on diapers.com (with 10% cashback on bing.com). does anyone have this stroller? thoughts?

the maclaren is 149 on diapers.com. alternatively i could get the 2008 quest for $159.

i have spent hours reading these boards and i'm going crazy!

arivecchi
05-24-2010, 11:11 AM
I have not tried the Chicco but I so love the Triumph. Read the reviews on Strollerland @ lunch.com. Rave reviews! IMHO, the Triumph is THE perfect travel stroller. :thumbsup:

lareigna
05-24-2010, 11:31 AM
I love the Liteway. It honestly has more features than the Triumph like an adjustable footrest and the basket transforms into a back pack, the recline is done with a lever not a strap (don't remember how the Triumph reclines) and lies almost flat, good for naps on the go. That and the wheels are single in the front, which I prefer. And the price. I find the Liteway more comparable with the Quest than with the Triumph. There was also a coupon that BRU had for $10 off of every $50 for strollers and carseats.

But, it's heavier than the Triumph and doesn't have a carry strap, just a handle, unlike the Triumph.

satchnbucky
05-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Triumph. The extra you pay now, you'll more than get back in resale later.

purpelina
05-24-2010, 12:01 PM
saw liteway at bru as well, and liked it. Handles well, has many useful features. My only concern - how sturdy it is. I know triumph can get a lot of abuse, but this one seems to start breaking down after a year or less. There are reviews on amazon.

bw52
05-24-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm actually having the exact same dilemma right now after going to BRU. This is what I'm debating between:

Chicco:
LOVE the almost full recline--we're going to be using our travel stroller at disney and this could be nice to have (and I might even be able to change LO diapers while she's in the stroller)! This is a def plus for me, as I hate using public changing tables.

Easier to recline (for me) than a Mac

It seems sturdier (and less tipsy), although I've read reviews of Macs and they seem to stand the test of time well

Love the fold. MUCH easier and faster for me to do with flip flops on (I had to practice while w/ the Mac with my flipflops).

Oh, and I can actaully get to the basket!

Mac Triumph:

Like the colors a lot better

LOVE that it's more lightweight

Pretty sure it would last a long time.

Maybe that doesn't help you much, but those are the main diff for me. I actually love the Chicco more except for the color and wish it were lighter. And if I was sure it would last while, than that would even be more convincing! But I'm still deciding. Actually I think I'm trying to talk myself into the Triumph! IDK. Decisions, decisions. Sorry to prob be no help!

theriviera
05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Maybe that doesn't help you much, but those are the main diff for me. I actually love the Chicco more except for the color and wish it were lighter. And if I was sure it would last while, than that would even be more convincing! But I'm still deciding. Actually I think I'm trying to talk myself into the Triumph! IDK. Decisions, decisions. Sorry to prob be no help!

i feel the same way as you! my main concern is that it lasts a long time. for that reason i'm now looking at the quest but it's a lot more.

what about the inglesina trip? have you seen that in person?

lareigna
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm actually having the exact same dilemma right now after going to BRU. This is what I'm debating between:

Chicco:
LOVE the almost full recline--we're going to be using our travel stroller at disney and this could be nice to have (and I might even be able to change LO diapers while she's in the stroller)! This is a def plus for me, as I hate using public changing tables.

Easier to recline (for me) than a Mac

It seems sturdier (and less tipsy), although I've read reviews of Macs and they seem to stand the test of time well

Love the fold. MUCH easier and faster for me to do with flip flops on (I had to practice while w/ the Mac with my flipflops).

Oh, and I can actaully get to the basket!

Mac Triumph:

Like the colors a lot better

LOVE that it's more lightweight

Pretty sure it would last a long time.

Have you seen the new colors for 2010? They four new one: Orion (all black), Romantic ( black and grey), Starlet (red and pink), and Surf (blue and yellow iirc?)
Love the Liteway, but good thing about the Mac is the lifetime warranty, though. Hard decision! In the end the Liteway won over for me because of the price, I got it at BRU with a 20% coupon among other things and the extra weight didn't bother me too much. Loved the larger wheels too.

Just to throw this in there, have you thought about the Si?

I'm so not helping, sorry!

bw52
05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
I haven't seen the Trip, but it's 20 lbs (that's what it says online), so that's too heavy for my lightweight stroller.

Jelly Bean
05-24-2010, 01:51 PM
I haven't seen the Trip, but it's 20 lbs (that's what it says online), so that's too heavy for my lightweight stroller.

I think they must mean the Zippy. The Trip is pretty light - I want to say it was like the Quest and Liteway when I looked at all of them IRL.

bw52
05-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Have you seen the new colors for 2010? They four new one: Orion (all black), Romantic ( black and grey), Starlet (red and pink), and Surf (blue and yellow iirc?)
Love the Liteway, but good thing about the Mac is the lifetime warranty, though. Hard decision! In the end the Liteway won over for me because of the price, I got it at BRU with a 20% coupon among other things and the extra weight didn't bother me too much. Loved the larger wheels too.

Just to throw this in there, have you thought about the Si?

I'm so not helping, sorry!

I saw all the color options and really didn't like them. Liked the Starlet the best--that's the one I played with, but I would really just prefer all red. I guess I don't like the 2 toned thing. Actually I'm considering Fuego if I got the Chicco, but haven't seen it IRL. I'm wondering if the red is orangish red (which I would hate) or red like on the Starlet. Anyone seen one IRL and know?

Has the Chicco held up well? How long have you had it? And have you travelled on a plane with it yet? I'm really leaning towards this one, but don't want it broken before we even get to disney!

bw52
05-24-2010, 02:24 PM
I think they must mean the Zippy. The Trip is pretty light - I want to say it was like the Quest and Liteway when I looked at all of them IRL.

Oh. I guess I was looking at the shipping weight! Oops!

I considered the Trip, but haven't been able to see it IRL and it looks like it's too expensive. I was trying to stay under $100 and have slowly inched my way to $130 for a Triumph, but can't pay close to $200.

In case this stroller "walked off" at disney, I can't afford to be out that much. Or well, I would prob just not be able to be able to replace it and have to deal with no lightweight stroller or a long while.

AnnieW625
05-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Seriously love my Triumph. It was DD1's main stroller until really now (she just turned 4, we have a newborn, and got a Bob). It's perfect for everyday use and great for the trunk. DD wasn't a big stroller sleeper before a year so we never felt like we needed more than the 1 position recline and she never missed the footrest. We have used the stroller a number of times in the airport, on mass transit trains in LA, and Boston and have never once had a problem with it. It's also great for theme parks; we use it at Disney each time we go. It made me a Maclaren lover from the first time I used it.

liamsmom
05-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Actually I'm considering Fuego if I got the Chicco, but haven't seen it IRL. I'm wondering if the red is orangish red (which I would hate) or red like on the Starlet. Anyone seen one IRL and know?

I've seen the Fuego IRL, and it's aptly named. Definitely an orangey red. Not bright orange, but not a true red either. It's very, very bright. I've never seen the Starlet, so I can't really compare the two.

I have the Liteway in Topazio and I've been really happy with it. I wish I could tell you about abuse and durability, but I've had it less than a year and it's most often used indoors. You can certainly hang a diaper bag off the back and it won't tip over, even if it's unoccupied.

LoveBeingMrs
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Seriously love my Triumph. It was DD1's main stroller until really now (she just turned 4, we have a newborn, and got a Bob). It's perfect for everyday use and great for the trunk. DD wasn't a big stroller sleeper before a year so we never felt like we needed more than the 1 position recline and she never missed the footrest. We have used the stroller a number of times in the airport, on mass transit trains in LA, and Boston and have never once had a problem with it. It's also great for theme parks; we use it at Disney each time we go. It made me a Maclaren lover from the first time I used it.

Quick question for AnnieW-

After having both the Triumph and the XLR, which do you like more? I have the 2010 Vista, and I'm looking for a lightweight stroller. I was debating between the XLR or Bee+, but some people mentioned the Triumph/Quest. Which would you recommend? TIA!

poohbear
05-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Oh. I guess I was looking at the shipping weight! Oops!

I considered the Trip, but haven't been able to see it IRL and it looks like it's too expensive. I was trying to stay under $100 and have slowly inched my way to $130 for a Triumph, but can't pay close to $200.

In case this stroller "walked off" at disney, I can't afford to be out that much. Or well, I would prob just not be able to be able to replace it and have to deal with no lightweight stroller or a long while.

Do you live anywhere near a buy buy baby? They carry all those strollers in store (the trip/swift, triumph, and liteway). I believe you can often find a swift (basically falls between a triumph and a quest) for less than $100 on Amazon (and you can have diapers.com pricematch and get 10% back from bing :)

theriviera
05-24-2010, 07:24 PM
i wish this decision wasn't so hard! i have spent hours on this and yet i'm no closer to making a decision.

we don't have a BBB near me and there aren't any stores that have all of these strollers. maybe i'm wrong though - is there anywhere in la with all of these strollers?

poohbear
05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't know about stores in LA - you can go to each manufacturer's website and look for B&M stores that sell the strollers near you. Or you could always order your top ones from diapers.com and return whatever you don't want- free shipping both ways - gotta love diapers.com!!!

theriviera
05-24-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't know about stores in LA - you can go to each manufacturer's website and look for B&M stores that sell the strollers near you. Or you could always order your top ones from diapers.com and return whatever you don't want- free shipping both ways - gotta love diapers.com!!!

seriously - that is awesome! i may do that.

poohbear
05-25-2010, 10:32 AM
seriously - that is awesome! i may do that.

Just make sure that if you do that, you DO NOT take the strollers outside. Diapers.com requires that items be returned in new condition, which means you need to pack them back up in the box unused and taped up nice and pretty. (in the house is fine - think of it like shoes - can wear 'em around the house to see if they're comfortable, but once they step outside, you can't return 'em). They'll email you a label to print and you can schedule a pickup or drop it off. Easy peasy! Love love love diapers.com
And if it's your first order, you can use MAY15 for 15% off. Even if not, use bing for 10% back!

bw52
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Do you live anywhere near a buy buy baby? They carry all those strollers in store (the trip/swift, triumph, and liteway). I believe you can often find a swift (basically falls between a triumph and a quest) for less than $100 on Amazon (and you can have diapers.com pricematch and get 10% back from bing :)

Less than $100, really? That could really be an option, then. I'll have to check it out IRL, though. We're going to be going to another store soon on a road trip and hopefully they have a good selection there.

theriviera
05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
My DH vetoed the idea of buying the strollers from diapers.com and then returning the one we don't want (because he is the one that will end up taking care of it).

To makemyself more crzy, i keep thinking about the BJCM - mainly for the sunshade. is that crazy? this will be the stroller we keep in the car and use for plane travel. we travel by plane about 4 times a year.

arivecchi
05-25-2010, 01:28 PM
My DH vetoed the idea of buying the strollers from diapers.com and then returning the one we don't want (because he is the one that will end up taking care of it). Does he know that you just have to tape it up and slap the label on. Diapers.com can arrange a pick-up at your house. ;)

Jelly Bean
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
My DH vetoed the idea of buying the strollers from diapers.com and then returning the one we don't want (because he is the one that will end up taking care of it).

To makemyself more crzy, i keep thinking about the BJCM - mainly for the sunshade. is that crazy? this will be the stroller we keep in the car and use for plane travel. we travel by plane about 4 times a year.

One of the great things about diapers.com is that you can just call them and they'll send a UPS guy out to your house to pick up the stroller. Soooo convenient!

On the BJCM - I bought one for my mom who watches DD full time as her one-and-only. I've borrowed it a few times for travel and it's the best thing ever! The sunshade is awesome. Even though my Quest is light and teeny, we walk even more when we're on vacation and I don't feel like it would be "enough" stroller for my needs (see other thread).

As much as I dream about a reversible Bugaboo Bee +, I would be nervous about flying with it for fear of damage. Not that I don't worry about the BJCM getting damaged, because I do, but not as much stress as I would about my Vista or another expensive stroller.

theriviera
05-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I decided on the BJCM. I went to the store yesterday and tried both. I was leaning toward the BJCM but I wanted a second opinion so I went to a second store near DH's work and he met me there. Yes, the BJCM is bigger but the fold is so much easier! I will be traveling alone with DD this summer so I practiced folding up the stroller while holding on to DD. The BJCM was easier for me. Plus, I love that canopy!

lorinick
05-28-2010, 02:59 PM
I decided on the BJCM. I went to the store yesterday and tried both. I was leaning toward the BJCM but I wanted a second opinion so I went to a second store near DH's work and he met me there. Yes, the BJCM is bigger but the fold is so much easier! I will be traveling alone with DD this summer so I practiced folding up the stroller while holding on to DD. The BJCM was easier for me. Plus, I love that canopy!

You will love the stroller. I traded the Mac Quest for the Mini and have missed my Mac even once. There are so many great things about the mini. Love it!

satchnbucky
05-28-2010, 09:12 PM

I just wrote about this in another thread, but I have a triumph and a BJCM, and while I love both, I think I love my BJCM just a little more. :)
The canopy, the fold, the recline... I think you'll be happy with your purchase :)