PDA

View Full Version : "Morning" Sickness

kam
05-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi all.

Any thoughts? I'm 7 weeks along with DC2, and really starting to suffer. I know it's a sign that all is progressing, but for some reason it's really hard to tolerate this time around.

I was really sick with DD1 until about week 14, and then moderately sick until week 20. (Moderately meaning that I stopped vomiting, but still couldn't eat dinner or cook). Then, aside from a few food aversions, I was fine.

I'm really sick now, first thing in the morning, and then from about 4pm on (including waking up at midnight to be sick!!!)

Any thoughts? I've done the usual -- no empty tummy, sticking with bland foods, sipping slowly, nibbling on saltines. Nothing seems to be working.

I'll take any advice! I'm seeing my OB next week, so I'm trying to think this through so I know what questions to ask (as opposed to whining).

fortato
05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Ginger candy! The Ginger People make these "Gin-Gins" candies that were my secret weapon this time around.

My M/S didn't start until week 12 and just went away about a month ago, at 33 weeks. It sucked, but the ginger helped a TON. I also kept the mini saltines in a bag in my nightstand...that would usually get me through until I could have a proper breakfast. Otherwise, I was a mess all day.

Oh, and the vitamin B6/Unisom combo helped a little too.

luckytwenty
05-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I didn't have it very much at all this time (preg #3) but it was a problem with my second pregancy. Sleep helped, but ultimately I ended up getting a prescription for an anti-nausea drug from my OB.

lizzywednesday
05-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Plain seltzer at room temperature. No, don't wait for it to go flat; the bubbles help settle your stomach.

I drank a case a week during my 1st trimester!!!

Also, certain foods made it more likely that I'd puke. Once I figured it out, I cut out all processed foods & anything with HFCS and that helped. Maybe something similar will help you?

HIU8
05-24-2010, 10:28 AM
With DD I had moring sickness literally from about week 6 or 7 until about 10 minutes after giving birth 24 hours a day. It was horrible. The ONLY thing that worked for me was keeping food in my tummy at all times. For me it didn't matter what it was as long as my tummy had something in it. So, I ate myself silly, but it helped me function.

Tanya
05-24-2010, 01:59 PM
I was sick 24 hours a day with my first pregnancy and I felt like I tried everything...ginger, bland foods, eating something before I got out of bed, the motion sickness wristbands, the preggie pops. Nothing made a difference. Staying down on the sofa at least kept me from reaching what I called "puke point".

My 2nd pregnancy, not even one day of sickness. It was just weird.

Now I'm pregnant with twins and I did have mostly morning sickness. I sometimes got sick again in the evenings too. This time around, I tried eating something with protein early. For example, add some peanut butter to the saltines. Just a couple and then I'd go back to sleep for awhile if I could and I'd feel much better later then. I also found that I did have to eat some protein throughout the day to try to control the nausea.
Obviously, it's a different pregnancy and what seemed to help this time may not have helped my first pregnancy at all. Just thought I'd share what seemed to help me.
My morning sickness this pregnancy was not quite as bad as my first either though even though it's twins this time.

The absolute worst times for me while sick was if I had to be somewhere early in the morning. Mornings were rough anyway, but if I couldn't go lie down, it would reach "puke point". I was soooo lucky that I was able to keep up with all my kids' activities this time around. I was terrified I'd be puking in front of other parents. However, the earliest one was 10:30am, so that helped.

Good luck! It really is miserable being like that. I sure don't miss it and am so glad I don't have to suffer the entire pregnancy.

arivecchi
05-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I started taking Zofran the minute I got any MS.

catsnkid
05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I didn't suffer to badly, but drank lots of gingerale and wore seabands.. Though it was a dead giveaway to my coworkers.

ewpmsw
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I had morning sickness much worse the second time around and took Zofran, which can have two common side effects: constipation and sleepiness. (Like you need more of both of those when pg!) I felt it was worth it. If you opt for the Zofran, stock up on prunes or prune juice and take in a lot of fluids.

Citrus-flavored drinks and candies really helped with the nausea. I put lemon juice into water, drank lemon flavored drink mix and real lemonade or limeade. Lemon and citrus flavored herbal tea also helped, but were acidic and gave me heartburn.

Hope that you're feeling better soon and congrats!

tmahanes
05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Zofran worshiper here!!

LMPC
05-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I didn't suffer to badly, but drank lots of gingerale and wore seabands.. Though it was a dead giveaway to my coworkers.

:yeahthat: Except I wore long sleeves so as not to give anythings away :)

swissair81
05-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Gingerale & never stepping foot in the kitchen while anyone else was eating.

PearlsMom
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Funny to see the citrus recommended -- that was one of my worst triggers! Something that a friend told me that I didn't believe until I tried: room temperature Coca-Cola and regular, salted potato chips. I must admit, that was one of the few combos I never puked up! I also figured out that I got kind of motion sick when driving or trying to work out...so yeah, lying down helped a lot!

I also took the Unisom and I don't think it helped at all. Nothing really did, except sleep and time. So sorry you're suffering!

Veronica's Mommy
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Had it bad w/ my first!
Try carb + protein, ie- crackers/toast/apple + cheese/yogurt/PB.

kam
05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all of the thoughts! I've tried a bunch -- the sea bands did nothing. What sometimes helps is carb + fat (buttered pancake, bagel w/ cc) and diet coke. (Weird). Unfortunately, Unisom + B6 didn't help at all (my OB told me that it doesn't often, but that it was safe to try.

So, I suffer. Some days are worse than others. I've lost weight, but I did that with my DD, too, and the OB said he wouldn't worry as long as I stayed hydrated and started gaining again in the 2nd trimester.

Thanks for all the well wishes ... and the reminder that "this too shall pass!"

fortato
05-26-2010, 09:19 AM
I have only gained 3 lbs this pregnancy, I'm sure the morning sickness had a lot to do with it... I'm not worried, because they keep telling me that the baby is measuring big. (I'm 37 weeks) So, don't worry too much about losing weight. Get your calories in however you can. (Frappe's and Milkshakes helped)

I hope it passes for you soon.