PDA

View Full Version : I'm not in love with my Quest

Jelly Bean
05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Sigh.

I love my Vista but it's not great for indoors. Hard to get around clothing racks ("oh well, guess I'm not going to look at that dress because I can't get through there") and have to leave it in the front of the restaurant because forget about maneuvering it through chairs and people in a tightly packed restaurant.

I love so much about the Quest. It's so easy to throw in the car and go! Perfect for the situations I describe above, right??

Yet I brought it out this weekend...walked from the car through the parking lot to eat lunch with hubby then walked to BBB. Sun is in DD's eyes, basket is so small and my hands are vibrating from pushing it on asphalt. Inside BBB it's wonderful.... But I have to put my diaper bag on the floor a couple times when I take DD out so the stroller doesn't tip. At one point I pick up DD, with the diaper bag on the stroller but pushed up against the wall. Stroller basically pushes away from the wall from the weight of the diaper bag and goes crashing to the floor. DD is startled and starts to cry.

I'm sad.

So many people have it and love it. Is it just a hard transition to go from my Maclaren Easy Traveler (huge basket, canopy on the carseat to block the sun, DD facing me) and then the Vista? Will I learn to love it as DD gets older? Forget about the fact that I can't look at her...I think I'll get over that part if it wasn't for all the other issues.

I checked out the Si at BBB. I like so much about it and it rode great when I tested it outside, but honestly for $250 can they do better than plastic handles and a flimsy bumper bar? And I'm scared because the reviews are SO mixed.

Of course I also tried out the Bee+ again and I love it. And it's reversible! But $650 for my "second stroller" is like a Stroller %@^&% You! :32:

What to do?

arivecchi
05-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Well, an umbrella stroller will obviously not ride like a Vista or AT stroller. You could sell the Quest and try out the First Years Indigo. It is parent-facing or front-facing (which helps with the sun issue), light and steers great. Not as great for the car as a Mac but might be more comfy for your DD and you get to see her again. It has a huge basket and costs $124. It is also an indoor stroller and rides bumpy in uneven terrain, but that will be the case with most light strollers. You already have a Vista so your other stroller should be a light non-AT one IMHO. I think a Bee would be overkill unless you find a really cheap one!

ourbabygirl
05-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I have a Quest and a BOB Revolution, so while there's no comparison, I understand what you're saying. The sunshade issue on the Quest is a pain, but I got one of those Kiddopotomus (sp?) shades from BRU and it does help (it looks kind of ridiculous, but oh well!). The thing that bothers me about my Quest is the straps; they're really loose going up and down, but the part that goes across their legs and clicks into the buckle is *really* tight. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with the straps; maybe I should take it in to BRU and see if they can help.
I've just learned to deal with the small basket & top-heavy tipping issues; I do like how small and narrow the Quest is and how well it fits in everywhere (the mall, back of my car, etc.).

Good luck; I hope it grows on you! :)

Minnifer
05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
I have a Vista and had a Quest (now at grandma's house) - also hated the Quest but I think it's hard to compare any umbrella type stroller to something like the Vista. I particularly hated the Quest b/c the handles were a bit too low and I kicked the back, so got a Fizz instead and am much happier with that - no kicking, better height, nice easy push, but it does still have some of the other issues you identified (bumpy on the streets, teeny basket, tippy w/a bag on the back). I need it for its small size and ability to take on public transportation, though, so I just deal w/it. I thought about the Peg Perego Vela as a compromise between the two types but I don't think it's getting great reviews.

LoveBeingMrs
05-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm in the same situation as you. Love my Vista, but it doesn't work well in stores and restaurants. Bee+ seems like it would be great (7 inches narrower, and 7 pounds lighter), but it costs about the same as the Vista! If you do get a Bee, would you also use it for traveling?

Btw, I also have the Mac Easy Traveller... which I'm trying to sell on Craigslist. No buyers, yet! =(

Jelly Bean
05-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm in the same situation as you. Love my Vista, but it doesn't work well in stores and restaurants. Bee+ seems like it would be great (7 inches narrower, and 7 pounds lighter), but it costs about the same as the Vista! If you do get a Bee, would you also use it for traveling?

Btw, I also have the Mac Easy Traveller... which I'm trying to sell on Craigslist. No buyers, yet! =(

Yes I would, although my mom has a BJCM I could always borrow for travel. We already have a travel bag for it.

arivecchi
05-24-2010, 09:32 PM
It seems that a lot of people nowadays expect a full featured large stroller and a full featured lightweight one as well. It does not make sense to do that $$$wise. If you are going to get such a pricey lightweight option, I would just get a Micralite Toro or similar and call it a day! :) So you could sell the Vista and just have the Bee. :tongue5:

Jelly Bean
05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
It seems that a lot of people nowadays expect a full featured large stroller and a full featured lightweight one as well. It does not make sense to do that $$$wise. If you are going to get such a pricey lightweight option, I would just get a Micralite Toro or similar and call it a day! :) So you could sell the Vista and just have the Bee. :tongue5:

And why can't I have it all?! :jammin:

arivecchi
05-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey, if you have the dough, go for it! :bowdown:

WatchingThemGrow
05-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Whenever I use my Mac (Triumph) I push the seat fwd before putting the baby in, and put stuff in the basket. I also use the Universal Organizer so we don't take a big ol bag of stuff- more like just the essentials. Could you reorganize to make the bag issue less of an issue? We use a Skip Hop pronto in the bottom, plus bottles/snack in the organizer.

LoveBeingMrs
05-25-2010, 08:04 AM
And why can't I have it all?! :jammin:

lol.. my sentiments exactly! I'm just afraid that I'll get the Bee+, and then want another (lighter) stroller for traveling and running quick errands. :tongue5: Did you gate check your Bee with the travel bag?

ehf
05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
I got the Bee, but it's my one-and-only--I would love to also have an AT stroller, but I'm having the same cost concerns and just went the opposite way!

I flew to VA from Boston last weekend and had my mom meet us with the Graco stroller from her house. I was worried about traveling with the Bee. I didn't want to pay even $80 for the travel bag (available on CL), I was worried about the airline losing or mishandling it, and we also had to take the car seat.

We'll have to resolve my fears since we'll eventually travel somewhere other than to my mother's house.

Comes down to cost. Either learn to manage the car stroller or spend the money. It'll be interesting to see what happens with resale for the Bee+. If you have a small DC and you plan to leave the seat facing one direction, used Bees can be a good deal. Might be an option instead of shelling out for the Bee +.

I'll also be interested to see if Bugaboo drops the price in a year. I think they'd sell a lot more with a more reasonable price point.

Lila
05-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Wow Micralite Toro seems to solve the issue I had with the Cam (the two-part fold). I wonder if the seat is a bit steeper. That seems like a good lightweight option?

Sorry to thread hijack...

sariana
05-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Well, we didn't get our Quest until DD was over a year, but I say forget the diaper bag. Throw a couple of diapers, a pack of wipes, and a light blanket into the basket. You can access it from the side if the seat back is reclined.

For the sun, have you tried tipping the sunshade forward? I saw a post on here that made me realize I could pull the whole mechanism up a bit and then tip it forward to provide more shade. I can't do that anymore b/c DD will just push it back, but I did it sometimes when she was younger.

I never have thought the Quest was particularly rough on asphalt. I wonder what that's about.

Jelly Bean
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Well...update here...I've decided to keep my Quest. It's been growing on me the past couple weeks. There is so much about it that is just so darn EASY!

I took it to the mall, whizzed around inside Crate and Barrel and DD was happy as a clam. I would never have taken my Vista into C&B!!

arivecchi
05-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Well...update here...I've decided to keep my Quest. It's been growing on me the past couple weeks. There is so much about it that is just so darn EASY!

I took it to the mall, whizzed around inside Crate and Barrel and DD was happy as a clam. I would never have taken my Vista into C&B!! :cheerleader1: Enjoy! Yeah, Macs fit everywhere!

babychi
05-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Yay for keeping the Mac! I think the Quest & Vista combo is perfect...we just became a Triumph & Vista family and love the two together so far! :)