PDA

View Full Version : Play Kitchen

Swimfreak78
05-24-2010, 10:03 PM
DS just turned two and we are going to get him a play kitchen. I'm thinking that I'm going to try to get one second hand but most of those don't come with the "accessories". Any good suggestions on brand and approximate purchase price? I've looked a bit on CL but the price varies so much!

What are good suggestions for accessories? I don't have a huge budget but I want to get him something he will like. He does seem to enjoy play kitchens at other places we go.

Thanks!

zag95
05-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I'd do a Little Tikes or Step 2 used play kitchen- seems like our craiglist has them for about $50 or less- depending on condition, size, etc.

For accessories- you could hit TRU and see if there is any learning resources play food (or online) and you could order some play food and dishes- you might look on the little tikes and step 2 websites and see if they have anything- as I recall, they had things!

GL!

AlbrightRC
05-25-2010, 11:13 AM
not a play kitchen but our son got a little tikes barbeque grill for easter and absolutly loves it.
http://www.littletikes.com/toys/backyard-barbeque-get-out-grill-bundle.aspx
He actually the grill and playfood but we didn't buy them as a package deal. We got him a melissa and doug wooden pot and frying pan set that came with an oven mit and some wooden spoons and he's got the little tikes chefs hat and apron set..

Wondermom
05-25-2010, 04:20 PM
We just bought the plans to build DS1 this cardboard kitchen:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/33246545/build-a-cardboard-play-kitchen?ref=em

He seems to like playing with the play kitchens when we visit other kids' homes, but not so much that I'd shell out $50 for one. Also, it'd just end up being one more large toy taking up space in our house when he tires of it. I dig the cardboard kitchen idea that we can take apart and put away. This way, I won't feel guilty spending a little money on accessories, like these play pots and pans from Ikea

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00130167

Seitvonzu
05-25-2010, 05:33 PM
wondermom- the coolest thing about those IKEA pots/pans is that you could ACTUALLY COOK IN THEM-- can you believe it? all the ikea "play" dishes/kitchen stuff is kitchen safe if you really want to use them. or your kid does. i love that aspect and we have just about all of it :)

we have a wooden kitchen by elves and angels from www.novanatural.com. i love it. it's in our kitchen and really is "furniture" to me. i just love it :)

Wondermom
05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
LOVE the novanaturals site! Will have to check it out. My problem with toy kitchens is that I have caviar tastes. No plastic kitchens for me, and I can't justify the cost of a nice wood one. Besides, since DS1 is a daycare kid, he gets plenty of play time on the nice big wood play kitchen at school.

Seitvonzu
05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
yeah-- we're home alot (i stay at home, so lucy does) and in our real kitchen alot-- so i really wanted something that i didn't mind looking at constantly. i don't mind the plastic kitchens (i think they are equally fun), but i knew i wouldn't MOVE one if we ever left this house and i wanted something i could imagine my grandkids playing with it. i really love the hearth kitchens by camden rose too (my friend's daughter has one and it is truly beautiful and the fridge is amazing), but they were nearly twice what our set cost (plus my inlaws bought lucy her kitchen... which was extremely generous-- they spend lots on gifts, that wasn't even all she got-- ack! if i had know that , i might have put the camden rose set forward!)

the one thing i do have to say about the wood kitchens (and the enamel pots and wood food etc) is that everything is VERY HEAVY and LOUD. this didn't really occur to me until we had a playdate and my nerves were rattling every time one of the kids shut a door or dropped a pot. the next time we had a playdate i spent lots of time culling items that were "dangerous" in the hands of a group of two year olds-- wood, metal, enamel-- all that heavy food/dishware makes me nervous all of a sudden as my china hutch/glass front cabinet is right by the toy kitchen corner. we have TONS of playfood including "lighter options" ---mama made knit fruits/veggies of all types, some fabric/plastic rose petal cottage sets picked up very cheap, green toys plastic dishes (teaset and cookware/tableware set) and some plastic food from grandma/nana --so kept those things out and put away the heavy wooden eggs, wooden milk bottle, enamel pots, wooden pots/skillets/etc.

while i LOVE all the "real" and "nicer" play dishes/food (we have TONS of wooden food for example and no less than a half dozen tea sets), i have to be honest for a minute. my child has been playing more with her kitchen in the last week since i put out all her plastic stuff. i think this might be novelty, but it might just be easier for her to handle everything. i'm not sure. i plan to rotate in and out and see...but i'm not going to feel bad about the plastic if that's what she loves/plays with!

janine
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
We went with KidKraft. All wood and cute! It comes in red for boys.

http://www.amazon.com/Kidkraft-Retro-Kitchen-Refrigerator-Pink/dp/B001706BRI

PS if you shop around you can find it cheaper...

twodogs
05-27-2010, 01:24 AM
we have the KidKraft too, got it at Costco a few years back. There are lots of good deals online now though. Kids all love it, well made, easy to assemble. LOVE!

citymama
05-27-2010, 03:48 AM
The Educo play kitchen is gender neutral, wooden, really well made and comes with accssories included in the box (pots, pans, spoons, plates, play food, etc). All for $99 shipped! Try oompa.com or maukilo.com

we got Dd this kitchen right around 2, and she loved it - still does 2 yrs later.