PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else have seasonal allergies?

brgnmom
05-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi pregnant mamas/mamas-to-be,

I'm curious whether anyone else is experiencing seasonal allergies and whether you are taking anything to help during the pregnancy. I usually take claritin, when I'm not pregnant, but have been reluctant to do that since it's a class b medication. My eyes have been itching non-stop and I'm looking for some solutions. Visine eye-drops help somewhat but the itchiness always returns.
Thank you in advance.

lorinick
05-25-2010, 07:58 AM
I used Tylenol Sinus while pregnant. And I'm not a fan of Vasine, but really love Bausch & Lomb Opcon-A. It's an eye allergy relief drop. It work great. I don't know the class of Tylenol Sinus. But without it I would wind up very sick.

catsnkid
05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I took Claritan throughout my pregnancy with the OB's okay.

GonnaBeNana
05-25-2010, 11:36 AM
My daughter has terrible seasonal allergies and asthma as well. She takes Zyrtec and her OB said it was fine; as was her albuterol inhaler if needed.

Beth

elizabethkott
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
My OB gave me the all-clear for Zyrtec. I've been on it daily for weeks now. Grrrrrrr pollen!

Andi98989
05-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Zyrtec - every.single.day.

firemama
05-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I used to have seasonal allergies my whole life. Around 5 years ago I went for accupuncture and got rid of them completely. I went to a chiropractor who is also a certified accunpuncturist and she used NAET (Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique). http://www.naet.com/ It is seriously a miracle and I haven't had ANY symptoms since! There are doctors all over the U.S. who are trained in this allergy elimination technique so maybe there is one by you. I know you couldn't do this until after you have your baby, but it might be something to look into. (They also treat newborns up to any age. On infants and children they use accupressure, unless the kid is ok with needles).

My sister also has allergies and is too lazy/procrastinates/too busy with life (too long of a story) to get the treatment. But she uses the Neti pot to flush her sinuses. Or you could try a saline nasal spray. It's just saline water - so it's safe for when you are pregnant.

Good luck! I know what you're going through - it sucks! I can't imagine having allergies and being pregnant! Hang in there.

BeccaB.
05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Another fan of tylenol sinus. As an alternative I have taken Sudafed and Tylenol. That also works well.

brgnmom
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Thank you so much everyone!! Glad to hear that there are options that I can turn to. I'm going to bring this up with my OB when I see her in early June. I thought I was in the clear until very recently -- my eyes look like I've cried because they are irritated from all the pollen around now.

fumofu
05-25-2010, 11:58 PM
My allergies haven't been too bad, but when I asked about my options (just in case...) my OB gave me to OK on claritin/loratadine.

LarsMal
05-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Another Claritin user here. I have to take antihistamines year round so I took a (generic) claritin every morning and 1/2 a singulair every night while pregnant with my third.
Posted via Mobile Device

smcdonald2
05-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Same here. Itchy watery eyes, unable to drive sometimes because I was so blinded. My OB said Claritin, Zyrtec and Benadryl were all fine. I take Claritin because it works the best for me.

swissair81
06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Just so you know, there are very few Class A drugs in existence. The reason being that they don't want to do so much testing on pregnant women. Most of the medications they say are okay are Class B.

That said, I don't take anything for my allergies because nothing works anymore. My allergies are officially resistant to any medications.

alwayzrunning
06-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I have severe seasonal allergies, but have an amazing allergist that has helped me considerably throughout my pregnancy. My routine is as follows:

1.) Do not leave open any doors or windows in your home.
2.) Do a sinus rinse (Neil Meds) in the morning and at the end of your day. This rinses the pollen out of your nasal canula, thus reducing your allergy symptoms. I use Rhinocort spray (prescription) after the sinus rinse.
3.) Take a shower to rinse all of the pollen off of your body/hair when you're home for the night.
4.) Zyrtec 10mg every night.
5.) Since you can not use eye drops during pregnancy, Singulair in the morning shoud help ease some of your itchiness.
6.) Anytime I got really congested, Mucinex really helped.

Krianca
06-04-2010, 03:17 AM
I work at an allergy clinic and this is great advice! I love my sinus rinse (I have indoor allergies). Everyone I've spoken to says that Class B is for 'Baby'.

I have severe seasonal allergies, but have an amazing allergist that has helped me considerably throughout my pregnancy. My routine is as follows:

1.) Do not leave open any doors or windows in your home.
2.) Do a sinus rinse (Neil Meds) in the morning and at the end of your day. This rinses the pollen out of your nasal canula, thus reducing your allergy symptoms. I use Rhinocort spray (prescription) after the sinus rinse.
3.) Take a shower to rinse all of the pollen off of your body/hair when you're home for the night.
4.) Zyrtec 10mg every night.
5.) Since you can not use eye drops during pregnancy, Singulair in the morning shoud help ease some of your itchiness.
6.) Anytime I got really congested, Mucinex really helped.