PDA

View Full Version : Easel recommendations

left210
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
We would like to get our DS an easel for his 2nd birthday. Any suggestions on which brand?

citymama
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I would highly recommend the Melissa and Doug easel. It is sturdy, functional and good quality. Check amazon.com - they sometimes have markdowns.

Jenn27
05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
We are going to pick one up at Ikea this weekend!(4 hours away!). They have them for $15 and I've read that they are nice. I hope so, or we won't get it...

left210
05-26-2010, 08:53 AM
We are going to pick one up at Ikea this weekend!(4 hours away!). They have them for $15 and I've read that they are nice. I hope so, or we won't get it...

We do not have an IKEA close but I tried looking for one online but couldnt find it. Can you post a picture when you get yours?

katydid1971
05-26-2010, 10:53 AM
The Ikea one for sure!!! You can't beat the price and it does what the others do jut fine. If you are at Ikea pick up an extra roll or two of the paper (Its like $5) it lasts a long time but if you live so far away once your out you will not want to drive 4 hours for paper.

janine
05-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Perfect timing! I'm in the market for one and right now thinking of a Step 2 one. I like that it's magnetic,etc. Anyone familiar with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Easel-Magnetic-Letters-Numbers/dp/B001BSBYAU

salsah
05-26-2010, 07:01 PM

call first! i was just there to pick up paper rolls (which were out of stock) and was told that they aren't selling the easel right now.

Jenn27
05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Well, if the Ikea doesn't have it, I guess we won't be getting it! That's not the 'reason' for going so far, so we are going anyway. We are visiting the zoo and have never been to an Ikea so I was going to get as
many of the wonderful things that I've read about as I can!

larig
05-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I was just at our Seattle ikea and they had tons of the MALA easels (both in the kid area and in the warehouse). They were 14.99. Tons of paper too.

Had the free breakfast too!

ETA: I checked online before we went to see if they had them in the store, but it did not show up on the website, so I couldn't check the stock at the store. I was going anyway, so I didn't call first, but if you want the item number it is 500.210.76

kristac
05-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Perfect timing! I'm in the market for one and right now thinking of a Step 2 one. I like that it's magnetic,etc. Anyone familiar with it?

http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Easel-Magnetic-Letters-Numbers/dp/B001BSBYAU

We have this one. I think we paid around $30? Anyway, I like that it is magnetic and love that it is washable. We've never gotten alot of use out of it however because my boys prefer to draw/paint on flat surfaces. I keep pondering getting rid of it but it seems like one of those items we "should" have, ya know? Maybe I will stick it outside for the summer... Might get more attention out there.

larig
05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
okay, after 24 hours with the ikea one, I see 2 drawbacks to it: (1) it is not magnetic on the white board side, (2) because its not magnetic, there's no way to clip up sheets of paper (like if you wanted to paint something or draw something NOT on their rolled paper.

ellies mom
05-30-2010, 03:35 PM
okay, after 24 hours with the ikea one, I see 2 drawbacks to it: (1) it is not magnetic on the white board side, (2) because its not magnetic, there's no way to clip up sheets of paper (like if you wanted to paint something or draw something NOT on their rolled paper.

You should be able to buy clips to clip the paper to the white board side. That is how the M&D easel clips paper to the non-roll side.

kristac
05-30-2010, 05:00 PM

How about a chip clip or similar? Either clipped onto the easel or mounted there?

MamaKath
05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
1. A friend rigged a cookie sheet with clips for an easel in her classroom. This gives a magnetic surface quickly and easily and comes off with the magnets so you can put them all away.

2. You should be able to get big binder clips at an office supply store (or section in a big box store) or even use clothes pins.

Katigre
05-30-2010, 07:55 PM
We love our IKEA easel (though having a magenetic side would be really nice...I wonder if we could paint the chalkboard side with magnetic paint).

For clipping up paper we just use giant office supply butterfly clips - they're black and wide enough to clip on any edge.

larig
05-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow, thanks for all the helpful tips!

Despite the two flaws I mentioned above, I'm totally happy with the purchase (how can you not be for $15) and figured those two problems could be remedied with some creative mods.

Jenn27
05-31-2010, 02:08 PM
We got one this weekend too! They had 2 left...

janine
06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
We have this one. I think we paid around $30? Anyway, I like that it is magnetic and love that it is washable. We've never gotten alot of use out of it however because my boys prefer to draw/paint on flat surfaces. I keep pondering getting rid of it but it seems like one of those items we "should" have, ya know? Maybe I will stick it outside for the summer... Might get more attention out there.

These are around $30, the amazon version is higher b/c of the magnetic alphabet which is included (kind of overpriced).

So it doesn't get much attention? Right now I have the easel paper on the floor (bought before the easel) and have to admit she loves coloring like that. But not exactly "neat" for the kitchen. Hmm..just would hate to buy another item that sits in the corner taking space, but she does love to color!

PS I think the IKEA is a great option, but for just $10-15 more the step 2 is a good choice too (and is magnetic).

MamaKath
06-02-2010, 10:06 PM
So it doesn't get much attention? Right now I have the easel paper on the floor (bought before the easel) and have to admit she loves coloring like that. But not exactly "neat" for the kitchen. Hmm..just would hate to buy another item that sits in the corner taking space, but she does love to color!

Easel paper on a roll can be mounted onto a pantry door also. Friends of ours painted their pantry door with magnetic paint, then chalkboard paint. At the top they mounted the easel paper. So the kids can use the door for magnets, chalk or coloring.

larig
06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
So far DS has played with the chalkboard side every day, and used the paper once (that requires more supervision than the chalk, because he is interested in pulling on the paper at this point. I'm happy we bought it for him.

Charlie
06-03-2010, 01:24 PM
We also have the Ikea easel and DS loves it. Another suggestion is to use the dry erase side with washable pipsqueek markers (use a baby wipe to remove).