PDA

View Full Version : Still allergic to milk

crl
05-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Damn it. We trialed milk and ds is still allergic. We did everything right for so long and his ped really thought he'd have outgrown it. And his reaction actually seemed worse this time.

Catherine

HIU8
05-25-2010, 11:42 AM
:grouphug: that sucks. DS had a milk protein allergy that he outgrew by age 2. It was really bad prior to that. DD has a milk sensitivity (not as bad as a full blown allergy), but she is not outgrowing it either --she is 3, and I feel bad for her.

lablover
05-25-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm sorry. Food allergies suck big time.

crl
05-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks doe the sympathy. DS is almost seven and we hadn't tried milk since he turned 5. His allergy was really mild so we all thought this would be it. It's just going to make some of our summer plans so much more complicated. And poor kid can't catch a break. Sigh.

Catherine

MamaMolly
05-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Oh man, that is the pits! :( I'm awfully sorry. Sucktacular. Especially because there is kind of this expectation that people outgrow a milk allergy. I'm sorry!!!!!

DrSally
05-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry. How old is he?

crl
05-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Seven next month. I'm starting to think he may not outgrow this. And to top it off he's got oral allergy syndrome and can't have apples, strawberries or mango. It just is so hard to always be taking candy out of goody bags away, and always having to say, no you can't have that, and always having to pack food for him to every event. Poor kid. Poor me. I didn't realize how much I was counting on him having outgrown the milk allergy.

Catherine

KpbS
05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
:hug: We are still struggling here too. Milk, egg, wheat, corn, rice, oat, etc. It's really tough at times.

crl
05-26-2010, 05:23 PM
:hug: We are still struggling here too. Milk, egg, wheat, corn, rice, oat, etc. It's really tough at times.

Oh God. I'll stop complaining now. I think I'm using this as an excuse to buy him a planet box to pack lunches in since I'll being doing that for the foreseeable future.

Catherine

HIU8
05-26-2010, 06:52 PM
How do you deal with the corn allergy? DD may have a corn allergy and we are doing elimination right now. I know she has had a reaction to corn on the cob and baby corn, but if she is reacting to corn starch etc... it's not the same reaction (vomiting followed by a ton or mucus, followed by dry heaving, followed by vomiting up mucus).

MamaMolly
05-26-2010, 07:17 PM
Heather, have you looked into FIPES type of reaction to corn? It kind of sounds like that to me. Julie (ILoveTivo) knows a lot about it, but I haven't 'seen' her around the BBB in a while.

HIU8
05-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Molly,

What is FIPES? I have never heard of it. We are new to food allergies except for the sensitivity to milk (not a true allergy).

OK, I'm an idiot. Food Intolerance.....The milk issue falls under that. To be honest, I would rather the corn thing be an intolerance and not an allergy

DrSally
05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm sorry. It is hard. DS was anaphalactic to milk, but outgrew it at 2 yo. (and egg at 3 yo). I was just in for skin testing, and he's still extremely allergic to peanuts, and had small reactions to 3 treenuts and mustard. The allergist wants me to trial treenuts, but I'm scared sh*tless. I know it totally su*ks, esp. the milk, since it's so ubiqutious.

firemama
05-26-2010, 09:31 PM
When my sister and I were born, we both had milk allergies and grew out of it. Then at 16 I kept getting sick with sinus infections, post nasal drip, etc. I was working at a health food store at the time and my boss (a certified nutritionist) said I might be allergic to dairy. I eliminated it from my diet for a month then reintroduced it, and sure enough I was allergic. So for around 10 years I suffered, watching everyone around me eat ice cream, pizza, cheese, all the good stuff! And I thought I would be eating cheeseless pizza for the rest of my life.

Around the time I turned 25 someone recommended going for acupuncture for my allergies. They took their son who was severely allergic to peanuts, and he is allergy-free! They also found other things he was allergic to.

I went and was completely cured for dairy, AND all the seasonal allergies (I had them my whole life, all year long). These included grass, pollen, chenopod, nettle, large and small ragweed and others I can't remember. I got treated for this 5 years ago and I am still allergy-free. It is amazing!

I went to a chiropractor/acupuncturist who specialized in NAET. It stands for Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique. Check out http://www.naet.com/ and you can find someone in your area (hopefully), there are NAET trained acupuncturists all over the U.S. It wouldn't hurt to try it out! It is kind of pricey, but so worth the $$$. It's non-invasive and you're not giving your kids allergy shots or medication (which just covers the allergy symptoms). And you wouldn't have to tell them they can't have this or that, or pack them special lunches. And it will last them their whole lifetime! If you're worried your 7 year old will be afraid of needles, they use acupressure on kids.

Anybody with any kind of allergy should at least give this a try!