PDA

View Full Version : Biking While Pregnant?

MoeJoe
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
I was really looking forward to bike riding this summer with my son in a trailer, but s/o just told me that I can't do it cuz I'm pregnant....
She said it is cuz i can fall and hurt myself and baby, but that can happen any time anywhere... Right now I am about 18 weeks, but fit and not so big (only gained about 5-8 pounds).
What do you think? I'm going to ask the dr. at my next visit, but until then I wanted some opinions.
Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
05-25-2010, 02:37 PM
My OB said Absolutely NOT, every time I asked. Let your DH take him in the trailer, and just wait your turn. I'm finally getting to ride this summer, with a trailer on one bike and a seat on the other!

tmahanes
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
My OB said NO also... she let me play tennis but no biking

MoeJoe
05-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, but you made me a little upset for my wonderful plans so I decided to call my OB and ask her.
She wasn't in today, but the nurse said as far as she knows it is perfectly fine to bike until I feel unbalanced on the bike. But, she is going to call me back tomorrow after she asks the OB.
I'll let you know what she says.

wellyes
05-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Mine said no too, which stinks but I think it's for the best.

It's not just balance. Your sense of limits when pregnant is off. This is why you have to be a little cautious with yoga too; you are more flexible than when not pregnant, but it's easy to hurt yourself without realizing it. Cardio overexertion is a potential issue too. I was doing spin pre-pregnancy but dialed back to recumbent bike at a (painfully) leisurely pace at the advice of my OB and personal trainer.

Having said that, if you're in great cardio shape maybe it'll be OK. But I'd be very hesitant.

newg
05-25-2010, 06:59 PM
I just went on a short bike ride on vacation at 25 weeks pregnant. I didn't have any problems biking (size/balance wise).....we only went for a short trip up and down the beach (maybe a 1/2hr. tops)....but I felt kinda off all day in my butt and "down there", which kinda worried me because that tightness and preasure is kinda the same feeling you get with preterm labor...so we didn't go on any more rides. DH pulled the trailer with DD in it too.

I would talk more extensively with your OB. I would not pull the trailer. If you have a good "biker butt" already established and could easily tell the difference between being sore and preterm labor, then I don't see why you couldn't in the early stages of pregnancy.

DebbieJ
05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
A friend of mine is 20ish weeks and just went on a two week bike tour of the Netherlands with her mom and aunt. She had a great time!

lmr1101
05-25-2010, 07:50 PM
I was very active before I got pregnant, and while I was pregnant stayed active while running... with knowing that my OB said it was perfectly fine for me to compete in a mini Triathlon when I was 5 months along. She told me just try no to win the race (which wasn't a problemt), but since I had been doing it before it wouldn't be a problem... until I got much further along in the pregnancy.
I did stop around the 6 month mark.

wellyes
05-25-2010, 09:12 PM
I just went on a short bike ride on vacation at 25 weeks pregnant. I didn't have any problems biking (size/balance wise).....we only went for a short trip up and down the beach (maybe a 1/2hr. tops)....but I felt kinda off all day in my butt and "down there", which kinda worried me because that tightness and preasure is kinda the same feeling you get with preterm labor...so we didn't go on any more rides. DH pulled the trailer with DD in it too.Oh gosh, this reminds me --- I quit spin class in late 1st trimester because I was spotting. Just a little spotting, but I had had a m/c 5-6 months earlier. It scared me half to death. But it may just have been a 'there's more blood flow, so more blood' situation.

I agree with the PPs that if you get the OK, do a few short / easy trial runs to see how it feels. I also agree that it's much more likely to be fine if you've been doing it all along. I know a woman in her late 30s with 5 kids who ran 10Ks through her latest pregnancy, cheerfully. Even at the most fit point in my life that would have been beyond me. I really am in awe of tough cookies like that.

MontrealMum
05-25-2010, 09:37 PM
My OB was fine with me biking and skiing (XC) through the 2nd trimester of my pregnancy. He much prefers women to stay active throughout pregnancy than not, though obviously it's not the time to take up - or return to - a sport that you aren't normally used to. I'd talk to your OB about it.