PDA

View Full Version : stroller stress

7pages
05-26-2010, 01:18 AM
I currently have a Chico Cortina stroller for my 13 mo. I like it but it takes up too much space in my trunk!! With my last child, I had a Peg Pliko P3 which I liked but couldn't justify paying that much for a stroller.
So here I am looking at a new stroller. :banghead:
A smaller folded size is the key!
I would also love, of course, a great sunshade, great basket, a bumper bar, parent cup holder, recline, seat that can hold a taller child so I'm not looking for a new stroller again in a year or two....
I go for neighborhood walks and trips to the mall, mostly, but some outside sport events as well....
I am 5'1", DH is 6'3"...
I don't like Maclarens--they feel too low the the ground and too rickety...
I'd prefer not to worry about putting air in tires...
Don't want to spend more than $300

These are what I was considering
First Years Ignite--haven't seen it, but can't beat the price!
BJCM--bummed I'd have to pay extra for the bumper and parent bar
Valco Latitude EX
Peg Perego Si
Peg Perego Vela

ANY help would be much appreciated. There are no stores near me that sell any of these so I'll be ordering blindly and want to get this right!!
TIA!
:heartbeat:

smcdonald2
05-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Take a look at the Keekaroo Karoo. It's much nicer and sturdier (IMO) than a Maclaren and it sits high up off the ground. It holds a large child, sits upright so there's no need for a bumper bar, folds small, has a deep recline and a huge basket for an umbrella, and you can't beat the price. You'd have to add a cupholder, but you'll still come in well under $200.

Personally, I don't like Pegs because they have a rattly, plastic-y feel when you push them. The Keekaroo feels solid and smooth.

http://www.amazon.com/Keekaroo-Karoo-Stroller-Lilac-Mist/dp/B0019VJJ42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1274871105&sr=8-2

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=70352&id=47545141485

poohbear
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I currently have a Chico Cortina stroller for my 13 mo. I like it but it takes up too much space in my trunk!! With my last child, I had a Peg Pliko P3 which I liked but couldn't justify paying that much for a stroller.
So here I am looking at a new stroller. :banghead:
A smaller folded size is the key!
I would also love, of course, a great sunshade, great basket, a bumper bar, parent cup holder, recline, seat that can hold a taller child so I'm not looking for a new stroller again in a year or two....
I go for neighborhood walks and trips to the mall, mostly, but some outside sport events as well....
I am 5'1", DH is 6'3"...
I don't like Maclarens--they feel too low the the ground and too rickety...
I'd prefer not to worry about putting air in tires...
Don't want to spend more than $300

These are what I was considering
First Years Ignite--haven't seen it, but can't beat the price!
BJCM--bummed I'd have to pay extra for the bumper and parent bar
Valco Latitude EX
Peg Perego Si
Peg Perego Vela

ANY help would be much appreciated. There are no stores near me that sell any of these so I'll be ordering blindly and want to get this right!!
TIA!
:heartbeat:

I had a Cortina - now using a BJCM and am MUCH happier. (I actually have the SK buggy buddy as a parent console (and now that I'm figuring out how to attach my diaper bag with it, having a bit of an easier time!) it is less than $10. I did pony up the $30 for the bumper bar). I also have a Mac but much prefer the BJCM... (I was able to get a deal through diapers.com using pricematching and first time cust offers - some can still be done, some can't). Sounds like I was going through the same thing as you - I'm happy to answer any ?s - let me know!
HTH!

Suzanne74
05-26-2010, 09:31 AM
The BJCM will not get you another 2 years if your child is already 13 months. the seatback is very short on that stroller and legs dangle awkwardly. My friend just had to sell hers and her daughter is not even 3 and is pretty small for her age.

I have a Si and I love it. It has a great fold, easy to steer and has a very comfy but sturdy seat. The handlebars can hold a diaper bag and other store bags without tipping which is really nice. Since you and your husband are different heights you will like the adjustable handles too. I bought a soft snack tray to attach to the bumper bar that can stay on there when folded.

The Vela is nice too but has a bulkier fold and I don't know much about the Latitude. I agree with another poster about the Keekaroo although it does not have a bumper bar. The Chicco Liteway might be another one to look at too, but again no bumper.

vonfirmath
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
The BJCM will not get you another 2 years if your child is already 13 months. the seatback is very short on that stroller and legs dangle awkwardly. My friend just had to sell hers and her daughter is not even 3 and is pretty small for her age.

We have a Baby Jogger City Mini with a almost 3-year old (will be 3 in August) with a tall torso. And he fits fine in the stroller with room to grow. I'm expecting to use it for at least another year or so.

Mini Review: http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2009/05/baby-jogger-city-mini-review.html

arivecchi
05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I think in general BJCMs are not great for tall kids. My 3 yo has not comfortably fit in one since he was 2.5 yo. The BJCC, BJCE and Summit are much better for tall kiddos.

satchnbucky
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
We have a Baby Jogger City Mini with a almost 3-year old (will be 3 in August) with a tall torso. And he fits fine in the stroller with room to grow. I'm expecting to use it for at least another year or so.

Mini Review: http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2009/05/baby-jogger-city-mini-review.html

I agree with this - my friend has a BJCM for her 3 year old who is tall for his age, no problem. My sister in law has one for her 2 1/2 year old who refuses to ride in the stroller at all anymore, so I would maybe get what you like best now. Baby Joggers have great resale value if you find that it no longer meets your needs in two years... (I know that's not ideal, but I'd still rather get the stroller that's best now and not worry that it may not work in 2 years when I don't even know what the situation will be...)

jacksmoma
05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
my talll 2 1/2 year old son (39") fits in our bjcm fine though it's mainly for my 12 month old, he'll hope in maybe a few times a month. he fits great :) nice wiiiide seat, HUGE canopy, tiny tiny fold (it's shocking really), and flat vented recline. get the belly bar, it's $30 but great for that age. i have a sunshine kids caddy for my stuff on mine too ($8 on amazon) and it works soo great for my keys, wallet, phone, drinks etc. i've had all the strollers you mentioned and the mini is so much better than any of them- trust me!

lorinick
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM

I have a Si and I love it. It has a great fold, easy to steer and has a very comfy but sturdy seat. The handlebars can hold a diaper bag and other store bags without tipping which is really nice. Since you and your husband are different heights you will like the adjustable handles too. I bought a soft snack tray to attach to the bumper bar that can stay on there when folded.

The Vela is nice too but has a bulkier fold and I don't know much about the Latitude. I agree with another poster about the Keekaroo although it does not have a bumper bar. The Chicco Liteway might be another one to look at too, but again no bumper.

I have a soon to be 3 yr. old in Aug. not a short child in a BJCM. He fits nicley in the stroller. And I love it.
Imo the Vela and the Si seem rickety. I also have the Mac Quest and the Mini is by far my fav. It sucks you have to buy the parent console sep. But the stroller is so worth it.

HonoluluMom
05-26-2010, 04:23 PM
I also have a Chicco Cortina and decided it was time to get a lightweight stroller for my 9-month old DD. I just bought a Peg Si about a week ago and so far, DD and I love it. We've taken it to the mall and for neighborhood walks. The canopy is amazing (I live in Hawaii so a huge canopy was a must). My DD likes having the bumper bar to kick up her legs and hold on to. The seat sits up fairly straight so she's not slouching like she used to in the Cortina, but it also has a good recline. The fold is easy (and it's a standing fold) and much more compact than the Cortina. I was able to put my medium-sized diaper bag in the basket. The cupholder does tend to fall off and I haven't looked into getting a parent console yet.

jacksmoma
05-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I have a soon to be 3 yr. old in Aug. not a short child in a BJCM. He fits nicley in the stroller. And I love it.
Imo the Vela and the Si seem rickety. I also have the Mac Quest and the Mini is by far my fav. It sucks you have to buy the parent console sep. But the stroller is so worth it.

i second this!

7pages
05-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all your help! I ordered a bjcm and a first years ignite. Totally different strollers I know but i need to see them to decide! I will update again once i try them out!