PDA

View Full Version : midwife/OB question

ewpmsw
05-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I had a midwife deliver DD and was hoping one would be able to deliver DD #2. Learned yesterday it may not happen, as one midwife is leaving the practice, one will be on vacation around our due date, and the new ones won't have hospital privileges. The new ones can be present for everything except catching the baby. Will I be paying for an Ob and a midwife if that's the scenario we end up with? Is it worth it? We've already committed to a doula, so I'll have support during labor. I'm disappointed, because I really wanted a midwife again. Past experience showed me that having one as an advocate in the delivery room can be very valuable. I don't object to an Ob delivering our baby - Just wondering if having both present is going to be expensive overkill. I see midwives for prenatal care and don't plan to change that. TIA for any opinions/feedback, and for letting me vent.

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2010, 08:10 PM
If it's all the same practice my guess is that you will only get one bill from the practice regardless of who is at the birth.

Beth

ewpmsw
05-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm not sure I'll get the Ob from their practice. There is only one, so if he's not the attending doc when we deliver, it could some other person.

MoJo
05-27-2010, 07:16 AM
I'd definitely ask them follow up questions at your next appointment about who would be there to assist and how it would be charged if the midwife who is staying & the OB from that practice isn't available when you give birth.

But I hope you don't end up needing to worry about it! I too loved having my midwife for the birth of DD#1, and am hoping for the same this time around.

Tanya
05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh, that stinks! I've had midwives for both of my daughters' births as well and I fell really strongly that they helped me achieve a drug-free birth with little to no tearing, etc. I've never cared for the OBs' attitudes in the practice.

However, now that I'm pregnant with twins, I have to deliver in the O.R. and have an OB present. Because they wouldn't cancel appointments for both a midwife and an OB, it's unlikely that I can even have a midwife there (and there have not been any midwife deliveries of twins in the last 2-3 years).

So, I'm bummed too. I never thought about the charges though IF I was able to have a midwife there too. I'm assuming that since they are from the same practice, they wouldn't charge double? If yours aren't from the same practice, I'd guess that you could be charged for both. I'd ask to see how it works. Depending on how much more it might be, it would probably still be worth it to me. I've never had a doula though, but I think my midwives have been similar in their support, although they aren't there the entire time during labor.

flamingo
06-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Well it sounds like you have to check with your insurance and whatnot about your specific coverage, but what about a home birth with a midwife? If it's legal in your state and you're low risk, it can be a great alternative.

ewpmsw
06-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I'd be open to a home birth. It's the only thing DH has taken a real stance on since we found out we were pg with DD #1. He's adamantly against.

wellyes
06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
My OB's practice gives me the option of midwife or OB. I had the midwife as my 'primary' during my labor but the OB on call came in a few times- and everyone was there for the final stages of pushing - and in the end an OB came in to stitch up my (very minor) tearing. One bill. If they're all in the same practice my guess is that it'd be the same for you.

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2010, 10:57 PM
I'd be open to a home birth. It's the only thing DH has taken a real stance on since we found out we were pg with DD #1. He's adamantly against.

Hmmm...it's one of those things where you are the one giving birth. I know it's not just your baby but I think that your opinion on the matter should count for a lot more. Unless he can convincingly give solid,, non fear based reasons then I think you should get to decide. :) I understand though deciding just to go with a compromise. Of course, that might be a birthing center instead? GL!!

Beth

flamingo
06-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah- I agree. He doesn't have to birth the baby, so he better have a strong case for not birthing at home. It's actually been found to be as safe if not SAFER than hospital births (for low risk moms). Hospitals for one are full of sick ppl- who could pass on germs to your baby or you (flesh eatting virus, anyone? BTW this is why the Hep B vaccine is routinely given at birth due to hospital germs. Even if you do vaccinate, giving this shot so early isn't needed with a home birth, unless you and the baby will be in close contact with infected persons.) Additionally your chance of possible unnecessary interventions (everything from epistomy to c-section) rises considerably with a hospital birth. And once those interventions start, they tend to snowball (membranes stripping leads to Pitocin induction with antibiotics b/c the amniotic fluid has been broken too long and is at risk of becoming infected, which leads to an epidural b/c Pitocin causes such strong contractions, which leads to a c-section b/c now you can feel the urge to push, which leads to more meds... etc.)
Check into birth centers (I know there are none where I live in Phoenix, so it was either hospital or home for me). They're a great solution.