PDA

View Full Version : Is my Sony Babycall dying?

pastrygirl
05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
I love my Babycall monitor... but lately on the voice-activated setting, it comes on and ticks rhythmically. It doesn't always do that, but it's doing it more and more now. Last night I couldn't use it at all because the ticking drove me nuts. Has this happened to anyone else? Does it mean it's on the fritz? Are there other monitors with that voice-activated feature? We run white noise all night long in the baby's room, so that's a must-have feature for me...

Nyfeara
05-27-2010, 08:10 AM
We've been using ours for about a year now & we have the same thing happening. The monitor was amazing to start off with, but has gotten worse. We have tried different settings, doesn't matter. We have to move it all around the room to find a spot where it doesn't happen, it's annoying.

KHF
05-27-2010, 08:55 AM
We just recently replaced our almost 5 year old BabyCall with a new Sony Babycall. We were having the same problems as you and it was always beeping as if it was out of range if anyone walked between the monitor and base (so we had to keep it way up high). Really annoying. We bought another monitor, but it just wasn't loud enough to hear the baby (a DECT digital one), so I just ended up buying another BabyCall (but we got 2 receivers this time...woo!). Very happy with it. We'll only need it for another year or two, so hopefully it will still be going strong and we can resell it.

jerigirl
05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Is it plugged in when doing this or not? Ours was doing that (fluttering and beeping) much worse when we would go to plug it in on my nightstand when we went to bed, compared to when we would have it unplugged out in the living room or elsewhere. Finally DH went to Radio Shack and replaced the cord. I had checked with Sony and to replace that part thru them was going to be about $50 (i think-almost as much a replacing the whole monitor.) Radio Shack was about $18. He also had to get a tiny adaptor piece to fit into the monitor.

ETA: ours is going on 4 yrs old.

pastrygirl
05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
For some reason, I didn't see these updates yesterday!

Yes, it is plugged in when it does all the clicking. Interesting! I'll have to tell my husband about maybe changing the cord.

I thought about getting another Babycall, but I ended up ordering the DECT one yesterday. Amazon has free returns right now on that monitor, so I figured it was low risk.

KHF
05-28-2010, 08:41 AM
I really liked the DECT one...everything except it just didn't turn up loud enough. If the volume had been better, it would have been *great*. It was nice and small, the reception was crystal clear, I just couldn't hear my son unless he was full on screaming. And if he gets to that point, he's not too easy to get back to sleep...so it was a no go for us. At night it wasn't such a big deal because it was quiet in the house, but I couldn't be doing anything else or I couldn't hear him at all, so it didn't work for naps at all.

Thankfully, I got it from Kohls.com with a code, so I only paid about $75 for it and was able to return it to the store.