PDA

View Full Version : munchkin dishwasher rack---argh!!

boogiemomz
05-27-2010, 02:26 PM
I got this because I was sick of handwashing nipples, spoons, other top-rack-only stuff that would fall through in the dishwasher. It was only $3.49, but it says the top grate part should hold 14 nipples, and that you just pull the nipples up through the holes into the "slot." Well, I've wrestled with all the holes and slots (it's not at all clear to me what "slot" they are referring to, as it's just a bunch of different sized open spaces), and my bottle nipples just don't go in there. I use Avent and Soothies nipples, and the Avent ones go in okay but do not slide securely into the grate, and the Soothies nipples are too narrow all the way down to even touch the sides of the grate. I can fit no more than 6 in this part, and I just have to try and line them up correctly with the lid open and try to close the lid over the nipples, because they do not fit securely in the lid (if that makes sense). I end up putting extra nipples in the main compartment, but don't have room for much more than the collars, lids, etc.

Anyone else have this problem? Am I totally dense and missing something about how this thing is supposed to work? I was so excited to simplify the washing process, but this is not quite what I hoped for. :irked:

Andi98989
05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I usually only put 4 nipples in the lid of mine (all that I have to wash) and it is a bit of a pain to do it. If you set it on its sie you can stick the nipples into the lip and then flip the basket up and closed (so it ends up upside down).

We use Born free nipples and I use the long conjoined slots for it. I also got the 2-basket set and usually throw stuff in both baskets.

Ironically, their picture of it only shows 10 in it - lol!

http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?pID=18&section=&ID=&li=2

TwoBees
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
You can only get 14 nipples in there if they are narrow-neck or "standard" nippes. We can fit 5 Born Free wide-neck nipples in each basket (use the round spots), 3 along the top row, and two along the bottom row, staggered, like this:

O O O
O O

Don't yank or squeeze the nipples through the holes. Open the lid, flip the basket over, place the nipples in facing down (since the lid is now upside down) and bring the bottom half to the top to close it. You will now be holding the basket upside down. Make sure the top part is locked into place and turn the basket over. You can now open and fill the bottom part.

We have 3 baskets for this reason.

ETA: My "diagram" reformatted to left-justified when I posted, but the circles on the bottom are supposed to be beneath and between the circles on the top.

boogiemomz
05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the posts and advice! Good idea, flipping it upside down to set the nipples in the holes; I will try that. I still find, though, that the wide rims of the Soothies nipples (http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Soothie-Nipple-Stage/dp/B000V8EIFE) overlap each other in the lid if i have more than 2 or 3 in there, and I worry that they're not getting clean. I guess I'll just put these in the main basket?