PDA

View Full Version : Need playroom inspiration!

fivi2
05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Any favorite sites with pictures?

Here is the story:

We live in a tiny (tiny) house. The girls' toys don't go in their bedroom, just stuffed animals. We have a weird addition in the back which is the playroom. It is a decent size, but it has the washer/dryer, my desk, the closet has dh's clothes in it, and it has two weird posts in the middle. So it is complicated.

I have come to the conclusion that my 4.5 yo dds no longer play with their kitchen or train table, and I intend to get rid of them. I want to create a big craft area, because they LOVE crafts. I need tables and storage.

Other thing - we have access to my nephew's old loft bed. I have been debating putting it in the playroom, but I can't decide if that is a good use of space. I would use the top for a reading area, but then what do I use the underneath part for? We won't have a kitchen anymore, and I don't think a craft table would fit...

So - any ideas for a craft area? (esp pics?)

and any thoughts on the loft bed?

TIA

katydid1971
05-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Would the girls become more interested in the kitchen if it was in their own little house? You could maybe hang a sheet or fabric and make a fort/house for the girls. For the craft area I would get an inexpensive table from ikea or craigslist (so when it gets covered in puffy paint you won't feel badly) and add a paper roll from ikea and a bookcase (again I would hit Ikea) for storage and a clothes line to hang artwork that needs to dry. I would add cupboards to hold board games and barbies or whatever your dd's are into next. I would use their artwork to decorate.

sariana
05-28-2010, 12:29 AM
I would have loved having a loft bed to play under, no need for parents to "do" anything with that space.

I agree with PP that the kitchen might have more appeal if placed in that area.

I can't advise on the craft area, as I am not a crafty person, and DS's supplies are strewn about the whole house.

fivi2
05-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks! I think the kitchen is definitely going. I may keep some of the pots and dishes and get a tabletop stove sometime, but the big kitchen never gets touched.

I am so conflicted about the loft bed... It would be fun, but it would eat up a lot of space.

IF anyone has any playroom inspiration sites, I'd love to see them!

Bella's Mommy
05-28-2010, 01:31 PM
I've gotten a lot of ideas from Pottery Barn Kids (either the store, catalog or even their web site). Or you can "playroom" search at HGTV.com for great ideas and photos of playrooms or start here: http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/kids-playroom-design-ideas/pictures/index.html
I think the art area is a great idea that will simply evolve into different types of creative things (legos, etc) as your children get older.
I agree that you should hit Ikea - they have a lot of inexpensive things that would work well for setting up an "art" area like little table & chair sets, art easel, storage bins etc. We have a little art corner in our playroom with a small table w/chairs that slide under the table when not in use. I found a small art caddy thingy on sale at Michaels that sits in the center of the table & have a small art easel that has tons of storage underneath for all other art supplies (it also folds up if you don't have room). I was at Toys R Us yesterday and they have a ton of art supplies/kits etc on sale through Monday. Have fun redecorating!