PDA

View Full Version : Cold dinners

crl
05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
DS has swim class pretty much at dinner time on Wed. Ive been trying to do crockpot meals and things that cook very quickly. But it's not really working for me--inevitably the baby needs a bottle and the thing I'm warming up gets burned or something else goes wrong. I think I need some meals I can plate and refrigerate and then just pull them out and put them on the table. Note, no microwave so I can't just reheat. Also, ds is allergic to milk (and apples, strawberries and mango). And he won't eat lettuce based salad.

So far I've thought of crackers, summer sausages and fruits. And pasta salad--although I could use some recipe ideas for that. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Catherine

bnme
05-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Easiest pasta salad recipe from my friend: Mix cooked rotini, grape tomatoes, fresh mozzerella balls, chunked pepperoni, and your favorite italian dressing. She uses Good Season's packets and it turns out super yummy.

For my picky kids I do peanut butter sandwiches with fruit salad or rolled up ham (the only way DS will eat it, not in a sandwich) and cottage cheese.

crl
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks. The mozzarella and cottage cheese are out. Sandwiches are a possibility but I pack his lunch everyday because of the milk allergy so that's a lot of sandwiches already. . . .

Catherine

Pepper
05-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Do your kids eat eggs? I've been making a Spanish tortilla a lot lately - you can make it a day ahead and eat it cold, let it warm up to room temperature, or wrap it in foil and re-heat in the oven or toaster oven. Make a salad for yourself and you have a nice dinner. I like the recipes from Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen:
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=19836

I also make a lot of Korean food b/c you can make the side dishes ahead of time. I only have to make rice and some kind of protein dish and i'm all set. Bibimbap works especially well for a do-ahead meal - it's a bit of work to prepare the different components, but you don't have to make everything, every time. Plus I usually have enough of the dishes for a couple days' worth of dinners. if you have a rice cooker with a timer, you can set it up before swim class and the rice will be ready when you get home. Then all you have to do is fry a couple of eggs and put it all together. Here's a link to the recipe that I use:
http://neighborhood-dish.blogspot.com/2009/01/bibim-bap.html

and another Korean cooking website that I really like, she has great recipes & videos for side-dishes (and other things). Dinner at our house is often a bowl of rice with a fried egg, a few veggie side dishes and some hot sauce or kimchi:
http://aeriskitchen.com/

How about quesadillas? They can be made ahead and eaten at room temp, or wrapped in foil and warmed up in the oven, or re-heated in a skillet on the stove. No specific recipe, but I do like sweet potato and black beans as a filling with the cheese.

Oh, and there's alyways roll-up, too. I ususally make them with hummus and ham or turkey, maybe a little cheese and some green stuff (for me; DS won't eat salad either :-))

oops, I got interrupted while typing my reply and forgot the milk allergy issue - never mind about quesadillas!

Pepper
05-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I should be cleaning the kitchen right now, but it's more fun to think about recipes :wink2:

Just remembered this one that was in the Boston Globe a few years ago. The combination of couscous, chickpeas and tuna is really good! if you can't fin dhte Israeli couscous, you can substitute a small pasta shape, like shells or elbows. But it's really good with the couscous! You can also substitute another green veggie for the green beans, like broccoli or whatever your kids will eat. Often I just leave it out & use whatever is in the crisper drawer (bell pepper, etc.).

Israeli Couscous salad with chickpeas and tuna

(can be made a day or two ahead; store in the refrigerator)

2 cups Israeli couscous
1 pound green beans
1 15 oz. can chickpeas
2 6-8 oz. cans tuna in oil
1/2 cup pitted black olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
juice of 1 lemon to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)

Boil 2 quarts of water and add some salt. Add the couscous. When the water returns to a boil, cook for 8 minutes or until tender but still has a little bite.

Drain the couscous. Sprinkle with a little olive oil and toss to coat. Transfer to a large bowl.

Steam the green beans for 3 minutes until tender but still crip. Rinse under very cold water and dry on paper towels.

Drain the chickpeas. Drain (reserve the oil) and flake the tuna. Mix everything with the couscous. Add enough of the reserved tuna oil to coat the salad.

Add the lemon juice a little at a time until it balances the oil. Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and the remaining olive oil, if you like.

Variations: use smoked trout, asparagus, and yellow bell pepper (omit olives). Use lemon olive oil in place of the lemon juice. Add some chopped fresh spinach to the hot couscous and stir until it wilts.

crl
05-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Thank you for all the ideas! DS loves what we call giant cous cous. I'm definitely trying that one!

I appreciate all the help!
Catherine

joules
05-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Here's my cold asian noodle recipe. This recipe makes a TON since it uses a full bag of spaghetti, I usually use the full recipe for potlucks, so be sure to scale back for your own family:

Main Ingredients:
Noodles (any kind – asian, spaghetti, linguine, etc. For a recipe this size, I use 1 bag of spaghetti)
2 Carrots, shredded
2 Cucumbers, shredded (I like the jumbo Costco ones)
1 cosctco rotisserie chicken, shredded (breasts only - or use any other chicken I like the costco one for convenience)

Cook the noodles according to directions. Then drain and rinse them and dump into a large bowl of ice water. Drain again. Mix in the cucumbers and carrots.

Sauce:
2 parts soy sauce
2 parts sugar
1 part vinegar
Minced garlic (optional)
** Sesame oil

Toss noodles with sauce right before serving.

I usually end up adding a tiny bit more sugar than the recipe calls for. If you make the sauce ahead of time, use less garlic because when it soaks in the soy sauce overnight it gets quite potent. For a sauce with less "bite" don't let the garlic soak overnight – just throw it in before serving.

** If I'm going to make this in advance, I don't put the sesame oil in the sauce, instead I toss the cooked noodles with sesame oil to keep them from sticking.

Pepper
05-28-2010, 09:32 PM
At the risk of hogging too much space on this thread! Along the same idea - cold noodle salads - I can't find the recipe I use for a Thai-style salad with beef and rice noodles :-( But, the basic idea is to use cold leftover cooked flank steak (sliced thin) or grilled chicken, with rice noodles, misc veggies such as green beans, thinly sliced red bell pepper and shredded cabbage, and a dressing made with lime juice, fish sauce, and a little sugar. Peanuts and/or peanut butter are optional...you can also use ramen noodles in a pinc, in place of the rice noodels to make a similar dish.

Here's some recipes from the web for your considerations:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Noodle-Salad/Detail.aspx
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/grilled-thai-beef-salad-recipe/index.html
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/thai-chicken-salad-with-peanuts-and-lime-recipe/index.html

Aaaand here's the recipe for somen noodles in peanut sauce that I use:

Cold Asian Noodles with Peanut Sauce
Source: either Bon Appetit or Gourmet Magazine, circa 1990…I think it was probably Gourmet.

For the peanut sauce:

6 large cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 ½ cups chopped cilantro (about 1 large bunch)
1 tablespoons peanut oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot chili oil (or additional peanut oil)
½ cup smooth, unsweetened peanut butter (preferable the “natural” type)
½ cup soy sauce, or to taste
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar, or to taste

Using a food processor, mince the garlic with the ginger and cilantro. Add the oils, peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar, and process to blend well. If the sauce is too thick for your preference, stir in some hot water a little at a time. Cover and refrigerate the sauce for up to 1 week.

For the noodles:
1 pound fine somen noodles
2 tablespoons sesame oil
½ cup chopped cilantro, plus additionl sprigs for garnish
6 scallions, sliced thin on the diagonal
1 ½ pound package of silken-firm tofu, cut into ½ inch cubes
Chopped roasted peanut for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add some salt. Add the noodles, stir and cook for 3 minutes until they are just tender. Drain the noodles ina colander and rinse them with cold water. Drain the noodles well and transfer them to a large bowl. Toss them with the sesame oil, cilantro, scallions and tofu. Cover and refrigerate the noodles for up to 1 day.

Just before serving, toss the noodles with the peanut sauce to coat them well. Garnish with the chopped peanuts and coriander sprigs.

The original recipe says 6 servings…that must be main-dish servings. It makes a lot.

crl
05-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Thank you so much. The asian noodle options look like they would really appeal to DS. I got most of the stuff today to try the cous cous one this coming week. I think I'll try one of the asian noodle recipes the following week. This is so helpful to me!

Catherine

alien_host
06-05-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm going to try some of these!

My mom does a version of the asian noodle salad that joules posted. She also uses cucumbers, carrots, chicken, chopped scallions, sometimes snow peas, but in a pinch if she doesn't have cooked chicken handy, she'll add strips of deli ham or turkey (just regular sliced deli meat, cut into 1/4 or so inch strips) which makes it a pretty quick meal.

I miss the peanut sauce though since DD is allergic. I wonder how it would taste with Sunbutter? I might have to try it. I'm going to make it with the sauce the joules posted though since that sounds great.

alien_host
06-05-2010, 01:48 PM
ETA: I know your DS can't eat feta but he might like it without. The Newman's Greek Dressing does have feta in it, I believe so check the label.

Orzo Salad

12 ounces orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
2 tbs olive oil
2/3 cup Greek salad dressing
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
2 tablespoons drained capers
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Cook orzo in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Transfer to large bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add crumbled feta cheese, chopped bell peppers, Kalamata olives, tomatoes and capers.

Combine lemon juice and Greek dressing. Add to orzo mixture and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

____

I also like adding cucumbers - sliced round and then quartered (sometimes in place of the peppers as we don't love bell pepper). Most of the time I just wing it, I don't measure. I like the Newman's Greek Dressing.

smcdonald2
06-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Chicken salad or egg salad...spinach salad with bacon and hard boiled eggs, stuffed in pitas. Toasted bagels with spread. Hummus. Tortellini and ravioli are good at room temp. Smoothies, taco salad, raw veggies & dip. My mom makes a veggie pizza that's served cold. You bake the pizza dough, and when it's cool, spread with red pepper hummus, and top with lots of chopped raw veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers, etc.) Pretty and delicious.

alien_host
06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I know you can't use cheese but these looked good and perhaps your DS would like them without cheese. I saw the first one on Barefoot Contessa and have been wanting to make it, the second one came up in a search.

Pasta With Sun Dried Tomatoes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pasta-with-sun-dried-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

Tomato Feta Pasta Salad:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/tomato-feta-pasta-salad-recipe/index.html

Another Pasta Salad

like the orzo one but with chicken, that I whip up when we have leftover chicken. I don't really have measurements

Bow tie pasta (I like the Barilla mini ones)
corn off two cooked cobs
cut up veggies such as cherry tomatos halved, cucumbers slices quartered, bell pepper - what ever you like
bite sized pieces of grilled chicken breast (I have DH grill and extra so I can make this the next night)
crumbled feta
Greek or Itallian Dressing
drizzle of olive oil
Salt/Pepper

Directions:
Boil and drain pasta, toss with a bit of olive oil so it doesn't stick. Allow it to cool.

Toss in veggies, toss with greek dressing to coat. Add feta. Salt and pepper to taste.

Can keep for several days in the fridge. Great for a side dish or alone for lunch/dinner.

crl
06-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Thank you all again. I tried the cous cous last week and I liked it but ds wouldn't go for it. I'm going to try a cold Asian noodle recipe next, but I'll be back to check out the other ideas as the summer goes on.

Catherine

alien_host
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Here's my cold asian noodle recipe. This recipe makes a TON since it uses a full bag of spaghetti, I usually use the full recipe for potlucks, so be sure to scale back for your own family:

Main Ingredients:
Noodles (any kind – asian, spaghetti, linguine, etc. For a recipe this size, I use 1 bag of spaghetti)
2 Carrots, shredded
2 Cucumbers, shredded (I like the jumbo Costco ones)
1 cosctco rotisserie chicken, shredded (breasts only - or use any other chicken I like the costco one for convenience)

Cook the noodles according to directions. Then drain and rinse them and dump into a large bowl of ice water. Drain again. Mix in the cucumbers and carrots.

Sauce:
2 parts soy sauce
2 parts sugar
1 part vinegar
Minced garlic (optional)
** Sesame oil

Toss noodles with sauce right before serving.

I usually end up adding a tiny bit more sugar than the recipe calls for. If you make the sauce ahead of time, use less garlic because when it soaks in the soy sauce overnight it gets quite potent. For a sauce with less "bite" don't let the garlic soak overnight – just throw it in before serving.

** If I'm going to make this in advance, I don't put the sesame oil in the sauce, instead I toss the cooked noodles with sesame oil to keep them from sticking.

Made this tonight and it was a big hit with DH and I. DD had plain noodles and cukes/carrots on the side as she never likes sauces. Anyway I thought it was delish. I think I used 1/4 c soy, 1/8 c rice vinegar and about 1/8 c sugar. I added sesame oil and a bit of jarred minced garlic and some chopped scallions. Very yummy!

Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to be making this a lot this summer!

joules
06-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Made this tonight and it was a big hit with DH and I. DD had plain noodles and cukes/carrots on the side as she never likes sauces. Anyway I thought it was delish. I think I used 1/4 c soy, 1/8 c rice vinegar and about 1/8 c sugar. I added sesame oil and a bit of jarred minced garlic and some chopped scallions. Very yummy!

Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to be making this a lot this summer!

horay!! I'm glad you guys liked it. It's our favorite during the summer too - DH requests it often!

catroddick
06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
We do a lot of the "Suddenly Salad" pasta salad box mixes. I start with those, and then add chicken and whatever else sounds good and is available- peas, artichoke hearts, cheese, fresh tomatoes, almond slivers, olives....

zoestargrove
06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
this is yummy.

Orzo Salad with Corn, Tomatoes and Basil

DRESSING:
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic, crushed

SALAD:
1 cup uncooked orzo
2 cups chopped tomato
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 cups fresh yellow corn kernels
1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion

Prepare all dressing ingredients and place in a jar. Cover tightly and shake thoroughly. Prepare orzo according to package directions. Drain and place in a large bowl. Spoon half of the dressing over the orzo; toss to coat. Let cool to room temp. Add the remaining dressing, corn, tomato, onion, and basil to the pasta. Let stand for atleast 30 minutes.

crl
06-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Did the cold Asian noodles this week. I substituted a little Ginger for the garlic because dh and ds aren't big garlic fans. DH and I really liked it. DS, not so much, but that's okay. As I told him, I'm not eating hot dogs and pizza every night.

I plan to look through and try another suggestion this week.

Thank you all!
Catherine

Pepper
06-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Did the cold Asian noodles this week. I substituted a little Ginger for the garlic because dh and ds aren't big garlic fans. DH and I really liked it. DS, not so much, but that's okay. As I told him, I'm not eating hot dogs and pizza every night.

heheh..hang in there, Catherine :tongue5: Glad that you & DH are enjoying the recipes. Keep tyring with DS; maybe he just needs to see the same things on his plate a few times before he's willing to go for it!

maestramommy
06-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks Catherine for rec'ing this thread! The ideas sound so yummy! I'm going to bookmark this page and keep checking back!

alien_host
05-30-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm giving this a bump with the warmer weather finally starting here I am breaking out these recipes again.

liz
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
This is a basic recipe and can be modified to taste. It's so yummy and holds up well in the fridge for a few days.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/roasted-shrimp-and-orzo-recipe/index.html

happymom
05-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Chicken salad is always yummy.

On hot days, I like to make a chicken guacomole and eat it in pitas. Make a paste with olive oil and spices. Rub onto chicken cutlets, and grill. Allow cutlets to cool, then cut them into cubes. Mix with cubed avocado and tomatoes. Add soem lemon juice and spices. I usually add chopped cilantro and hot peppers because DH likes it like that.

Quinoa is also a good choice. There was recently a thread for quinoa recipes.

Also, wraps can usually be prepared and left in the frig.