PDA

View Full Version : Solutions for not being able to "go"...??

newg
05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
This may be a little TMI for some...................

So I had this problem a bit in the first trimester and it seems to have hit me again this week as I enter the last............

I can't go (#2)........I drink plenty of water during the day (64+oz) and I even drink some coffee in the morning (1/2caf.)......We eat plenty of veggies and fruit during the day and I take gas-x on a nightly basis and this weekend I tried taking senokot (sp?) to help me , but that seems to be creating it's own, opposite, problem.
So now I don't know which is worse...taking the stuff and going too much (which is uncomfortable and painful)......or not being able to go at all (which is uncomfortable and painful)

Anyone else have this problem and find a solution that doesn't seem as bad, or worse, than the problem??

brgnmom
05-27-2010, 08:55 PM
btdt. Fiber supplements work well for me -- specifically, Fiber choice chewable tablets. Maybe you can ask your OB what s/he thinks about that option. I have also relied on eating dried prunes, although I haven't needed to eat them during this pregnancy, since the Fiber choice tablets work so well (combined with eating high-fiber fruits).

I hope that you feel better soon. :hug: I know it's a PITA literally to deal with this particular problem.

ewpmsw
05-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Prunes. Apricots. Apples. Fiber, fiber, fiber with lots of water.

Taking a walk also helps get things moving.

ETA: For some reason, Arby's ALWAYS does the trick for me.

Twoboos
05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Kashi Go Lean cereal. Fiber galore.

Also, there are these wraps called FlatOuts, I think they have a multi grain one which seems to make things move around here...

GL and I hope you feel better soon!!

Piglet
05-27-2010, 10:34 PM
2 things that I needed to do - cut down the iron intake in the prenatals and drink 1 cup of coffee a day.

Minnifer
05-27-2010, 10:38 PM
After a lot of problems w/this initially, I started taking magnesium supplements (1 each night) and they worked wonders keeping things running smoothly. I did mention to my OB that I was taking them.

fumofu
05-28-2010, 01:18 AM
Oatmeal and yogurt help, but the winners go to prune juice and Indian food. I haven't been completely constipated, but the juice & Indian definitely make the process a lot easier and faster!

salsah
05-28-2010, 01:32 AM
i use fiber choice. while i was pregnant (and things were slower), i also drank a glass of oj every morning. a dr. told the that the citrus helps (i can't remember how). my system is always slow so to keep things moving (in addition to the fiber choice) i limit my intake of binding foods, eat high fiber foods, drink lots of water. i used to walk daily too which helps a lot. i really need to start doing that again.

catsnkid
05-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Miralax isn't too bad or you can try docusate sodium.. My prenate had a stool softener added it.. Unknown to me they took it out about 6 months post partum and I ended up with fissures- AWFUL- now I take docusate along with the prenatal and my problem has resolved.

kam
05-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Colace. It's the OTC stool softener they give you in the hospital after giving birth. It helps A TON, and you don't have the side effects of the senekot. One in the am and one in the pm, if I recall.

And, while I'd check with my OB first, it is safe for pregnancy IIRC.

Kestrel
05-28-2010, 09:38 AM
1/2 of a fresh pear (with skin) was my magic solution. Canned stuff helps, but the fresh was just enough "help" without causing a problem.

I also changed to taking my iron supplements at lunch, instead of at night.

Tanya
05-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm not a fan of actual prunes, but I will drink prune juice and I like baby food prunes. Otherwise, making sure I eat plenty of fruits and veggies.
That's what has worked for me in my other pregnancies, even the one I had to take an additional iron supplement.

This time, even that didn't work. Boo hoo. I had constipation so bad that I'd also get dry heaves and I didn't even know my morning sickness had ended because I still felt so bad.

Anyway, my midwife recommended colace (stool softener). My prenatal vitamin already has a stool softener, but it obviously wasn't enough. However, I was on metformin and was able to stop it at that point, so I just waited to see if things would clear up then and they did. So, I didn't buy the colace, but I was close.

Of course, after the constipation went away, the hemorrhoids showed up. Sometimes we just can't win.

newg
05-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Ok, so I'm off to the store today..............Magnesium supplements, Fiber Choice Chewables, Miralax, Docusate and Colace are all on the list...........I already have some dried prunes and apples, so hopefully one of them will work for me!!!

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!

ewpmsw
05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Forgot to mention that fresh cherries also work great, and taste way better than prunes, IMO.

salsah
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Ok, so I'm off to the store today..............Magnesium supplements, Fiber Choice Chewables, Miralax, Docusate and Colace are all on the list...........I already have some dried prunes and apples, so hopefully one of them will work for me!!!

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!

just don't try them all at once!

newg
05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
just don't try them all at once!

LOL!! Oh geeze..............that would be awful!!

I ate some prunes this morning and took two Fibre choice tablets when I got back from the store............and was able to go :yay: !!!! (kinda a strange, weird and funny thing to celebrate...but I'm a happy girl now!!)

So hopefuly the fiber tabs will be all I need, but I've got enough stuff now that something should be able to help me!!

thanks again for the help ladies!!

salsah
05-29-2010, 01:07 AM
LOL!! Oh geeze..............that would be awful!!

not after my c-sections. i was doing all that and then some just to keep things moving.