PDA

View Full Version : Should I get another carrier?

crl
05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Well, I don't really like the wrap much. It's a pain to tie and then a pain to put dd in. The hot sling is okay, but all the weight on one shoulder is starting to get to my back. And dd doesn't have good enough head control for the ergo without insert. The old style insert isn't working for us and the reviews are so mixed for the new insert. I'm wondering if I should sell the wrap and use that to partially fund a Freehand carrier?

What do you all think?

Catherine

crl
05-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Well I just ordered a Pikkolo. Hope this one works!
Catherine

becca_g
05-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Just received my Pikkolo ... planning to give it a try for the first time today.

Hope your Pikkolo works out for you.

emily
05-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I love our Pikkolo. I hope it works out. The only other carrier I've used is a Bjorn. I really wanted to get a wrap but I blinked and DS was already too heavy for it to be comfortable.

crl
05-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks! Hope you like yours Rebecca!

Catherine

wellyes
05-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I think you made the right choice, SSCs are by far the most comfortable and user-friendly carriers IMO.

citymama
05-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Hey, let me know if the Pikkolo works for you. I am having carrier issues too - KK is great for some things but isn't hands free with an infant (I'm too concerned about airways. DH loves his Maya Wrap but it's not hands free either. Dd2 seems way too tiny for the Ergo with insert, or the Bjorn. Would love to find a secure carrier thatcan be used with tiny ones, at home and outside. Look fwd to the review!

crl
05-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Absolutely, in fact we could arrange to meet up and you can try it out, if you want.

Catherine

crl
05-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Believe or not my pikkolo arrived today! I did spring for the faster shipping and turns out natural mom gear is close to my place, but still, impressive. I've only had dd in it for a few minutes so far and really like it at this point. I'll report back when I've used it more.

Catherine

crl
06-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok, I feel like I've used my Pikkolo enough to give a review now. I really, really, really like it. It gives good head support to my two month old so it truly frees up both of my hands. And it spreads the weight to both of my shoulders very nicely. I can carry dd for an hour wihtout feeling it in my back at all. And I've carried her for three or more hours straight and although I can tell that my back is getting tired, after I take it off my back is fine.

The baby is a little iffy on it though. She fusses when I first put her in, I think because she's gotten to the point she wants to look around. She's not ready for the forward facing carry yet though. Fortunately she has settled down within a couple of minutes of putting her in, and usually she falls right to sleep.

I am super happy I got the Pikkolo and I think it will be my main carrier for at least the next few months.

Catherine

TwoBees
06-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Have you tried a hip carry, or is your DD not ready for that yet? I'm wondering how well it works for that.

emily
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
while i love my pilkkolo, i have to say that hip carry is not my favorite carry. i am actually considering a scootababy for just the hip.

crl
06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Have not tried a hip carry. Haven't even looked at the directions. I'm assuming she'd need head control? Sorry I can't help.
Catherine

TwoBees
06-04-2010, 08:01 PM
while i love my pilkkolo, i have to say that hip carry is not my favorite carry. i am actually considering a scootababy for just the hip.

This is good to know. I think I would primarily do a hip carry, and have been debating between the Scootababy and Pikkolo. There isn't anywhere near me to try them out. Can you tell me why you dislike the hip carry with the Pikkolo?

emily
06-04-2010, 11:16 PM
This is good to know. I think I would primarily do a hip carry, and have been debating between the Scootababy and Pikkolo. There isn't anywhere near me to try them out. Can you tell me why you dislike the hip carry with the Pikkolo?

Haha. I actually started looking at the Scootababy because of you. I dont have much experience with the hip carry but I just dont think DS is very comfortable in it. The strap in the front lands around his neck. Plus, there always seems to be some gap in the fabric on the side once the strap is clicked in behind me. I don't think I'm explaining it very well.

http://www.theportablebaby.com/pdf/pikkolo_instruction_manual.pdf

I cant seem to get my backview to look like the guy in photo #6.(actually now that i look at the photo, maybe I need to have it higher on my back)
Ah, and my son looks like the child in #4. The big strap right at his neck. I guess it could just be that DS is too curious.

I like my pikkolo for back carry for my 27lb DD, and for front carry (mostly facing in) for 6mo DS.

I bought the pikkolo hoping it to be my one and only carrier so I'm going to keep trying the hip carry. Trying to avoid spending $$$ on another carrier if I can help it.

I'll try again tomorrow with it second strap higher on my back and let you know if it makes any difference.

emily
06-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I'll try again tomorrow with it second strap higher on my back and let you know if it makes any difference.[/QUOTE]

So here's the scoop.

I cant get the strap higher on my back. I think the guy in the picture's is just higher cuz he's taller. DS seem to prefer front carry over hip. I think the strap in the neck problem will resolve itself as he grows. He's about 29in tall, 22 lbs now at 6 months. I didnt use a carrier much with DD so I hve no reference as to what age/height you do hip carry. My biggest complaint tho I think is that it puts a lot of pressure on one shoulder but this would be case with any carrier and hip carry with a big baby. Cant see myself hip carrying him for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Verdict: I think I'll pass on the Scootababy. I dont think it will give me any better results. Cant justify the expense for a hip carry exclusive carry when the Pikkolo is good enough. HTH.

TwoBees
06-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Hmmm. I think you have convinced me that the Scootababy will fill my need. I'm going to try it. I'll report back after it arrives and I test drive it with DD