PDA

View Full Version : do i really need a double or

emily
05-28-2010, 10:32 AM
do I just want one because I spend too much time reading these boards??

DD is a tall 26 month old. DS is a very big, off the charts (height & weight) 6 mo old. We have a Zippy which I love. I've been reading these boards for some time and honestly haven't felt the desire for another single. We decided to wait on getting a double until DS was born to see what we really needed in a double, if any. We have a Pikkolo which gets alot of use (inside the house and around the neighborhood) with DS. DD has no interest in the pikkolo and prefers to walk. She doesnt really care for the stroller. We use the stroller only on weekends for indoor/outdoor mall shopping & parks. Up to now, we've been using a second cheapo stroller we bought for trip when we're out with both kids and need both in stroller. Obviously, I think we need to upgrade. DH does not. He wasn't even impressed with the very affordable Indigo and it's parent facing option when I mentioned it to him.

So my dilemma. Should we get a double? I'm itching to get the BJCED even if it weighs a ton. But truth is, I can not ever imagine being out with both kiddos alone. If both kids are out, it's more likely than not that there will be two adults, in which case two single would be easier, no? Enter, the affordable Indigo.

Also, does anyone know if a buggyboard is compatible with the Zippy?

What has been your experience? What do the experts on these boards recommend? :bowdown:

jacksmoma
05-28-2010, 12:25 PM
i'm in the SAME boat- mine are 19 months apart and i think we could have gotten away with no double at all- the only time i go out on longer outings (like a mall or the beach etc) is with my dh, i only really run errands with the two or go to the park etc where i use a cart for both kids or my single like at the library etc- my now 2 1/2 year old walks on these short outtings and i put the baby in the sinlge, and when my second was little i mainly put her in the sling and toddler in the stroller- doubles are so huge awkward etc espc. the bjced - it's 48lbs!- i had that one and sold it as it was not being used. had a bjcmd but didn't use it much either as i use my single. i'm not a huge fan of buggy boards either as that make it really hard to push and turn the stroller. the lascal buggy board maxi does fit the zippy though. gl!

Suzanne74
05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
I would only get the BJCE if you truly do a lot of outdoor stuff - walking, parks, zoos, etc... It is not a good stoller for malls and quick trips. The biggest perk is that it will last a long time for you, probably until #1 is 5 years old. The biggest drawback is it's weight.

With a baby of only 6 months, I see your hesitation about not going out with both kids but in reality you will be doing this a lot more then you think, especially as the kids get older and even more in the warmer weather. And really even with 2 adults, I would prefer a double so if someone wants to walk or be held, that is an easy option while the other parent still pushes the one in the double. Once you have a 1 and 3 year old you will be BEGGING your husband to get those kids out of your hair for a few hours on the weekend. How nice would that be?? He takes them out for picnic and the park and you have FREE time!! :bouncy: I think right now you aren't taking both kids out with one adult because you can't. I think if you have an option, you will.

I think for your needs, I would try your 26mo old in a BJCMD and see how well he fits. If he has lots of headroom left, I might consider that. If he doesn't, I would decide what you want more. An all-terrain that is heavier, or a lightweight to take in and out of the car all the time. Figure out where you spend more time that you would want both kids strapped in. I would do a Maclaren Double for lightweight and a BJCED for an all terrain stroller. Both seem to last for tall kids.

Good Luck!

WatchingThemGrow
05-28-2010, 12:47 PM
My kids are much closer, and I needed one A LOT. (18 m apart) Here's a question...do you think you'll have a 3rd in the next little while? If you do, it doesn't hurt to have a double - like my friend who has 2 years between her DC, tried to get away with less. Now, she's due with #3 and is looking to buy a BJCED now. Why not go ahead and get it for the long haul and not have to fret about it if you plan on having a 3rd. Ours BJCED has been in almost constant use (including daily) for 2.5 years, likely to be a couple more. We go to museums, parks, etc. and it feels great to have a place to buckle in and push a tired, hungry, and irritable 3yo. Heck, my 4yo likes riding much more than walking so there's often a fight about who gets to sit in it.

emily
05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Unlikely we will have a third. I think a Mac double may be more user friendly as far a weight but boy, they look so narrow. If DS ends up being a big toddler, I just dont think he would be comfortable. Plus I hate the fold on umbrella strollers. I was considering the BJCED since it will fit tall DD and has the great fold. (plus there's a deal on Albeebaby). The weight is the only thing holding me back. Any double we get will have to be put into the car for use at our destination. My rationale is if we're gonna end up needing a double down the line, let's just get it now so we get more use out of it. But if we really could get away with two singles, I'd rather not invest the $$ in a double.

Jacksmoma, so you dont feel you need a double at all?

I asked about the buggyboard cuz I saw a mom a few weeks back racing (literally racing) down the street with one. DS looked like he was having fun.