PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Baked bean recipe with the different kinds of beans in it

Fairy
05-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Ya know those baked beans that have more than just the typical baked beans in it, but also have like big lima-shaped beans, etc.? Usually made in a crock pot? Anyone have a good, reliable recipe for that?

DebbieJ
05-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Ol’ Settler Beans Serves 10

1/2 pound Bacon (chopped) (Browned)
1/2 pound Hamburger (Brown in Bacon grease &
then drain grease)
Add:
1 can each: (15-16 oz)
Butter Beans, Kidney Beans, Pork & Beans (do not drain or rinse)
1 Medium Onion (chopped)
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup White Sugar
2 T Molasses
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce
1/4 cup Catsup
Mix and bake in crock pot or slow oven 2-4 hrs
( I add 1-2 Tbls. Flour for a thicker consistency,
otherwise, it is more like broth.)

For Vegetarian: omit bacon and substitute vegetable protein
for the hamburger and add non-meat bacon bits and
a hickory flavoring for bacon taste.)

Fairy
05-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Wow! That's a lot more than I bargained for, but I'm gonna make a go of it tomorrow and see how I do. Can I use uncured bacon from TJ's? I hope they carry beans. I have pork and beans but none of the others.

Thanks so much!

DebbieJ
05-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow! That's a lot more than I bargained for, but I'm gonna make a go of it tomorrow and see how I do. Can I use uncured bacon from TJ's? I hope they carry beans. I have pork and beans but none of the others.

Thanks so much!

yes, you can use the uncured bacon. This one is SOOOO good! I sometimes use less then the amount called for of the sugars. It can get overly sweet really fast depending on what kind of ketchup and bbq sauce you use.

Fairy
05-29-2010, 02:21 PM
K, well, its cooking. Store was out of butter beans, and TJs didn't have half of the products I needed so I doubled the kidney beans. Rest exact to recipe. Really hard to find bbq sauce without hfcs, but I did! Smells good cookin. Got it on high for 2 hrs then drive an hour then plug back in.

Thk u for recipe :-)

zoestargrove
06-03-2010, 02:48 PM
bullseye bbq sauce doesn't have hfcs and I think it's a national brand.

let us know what you thought of the recipe. I've been looking for a baked bean recipe recommendation

hillview
06-03-2010, 03:29 PM
THANK YOU. I was looking at the pork and beans can and the salt level is INSANE. I needed another recipe!
/hillary

Fairy
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I cannot tell u how great this recipe turned out! People ate it upan including me. I do wish I'd found the butter beans but replacing with dark red kidney (along with light red kidney) worked fine.

I may leave out the ground beef next time and see if I like this as much. Or maybe cut to a quarter lb. I just don't really get it. But it was tasty. Struggle to find grass fed AND lean, so used the 85%, plus all that bacon grease, so even rinsed it wasn't diet :-). Worth every bite!

DID use the bullseye bbq. Was literally the bottom shelf of the jewel, corner placement, almost didn't bother looking after reading the labels of 6 others, but glad I did. I mentioned it at the party, and they were all like, we don't buy that HFCS is bad for you, so I just didn't even bother to also explain that the beef was grass-fed :-)

Don't forget the 2 tbl of flour.

Chopping bacon is a BEAR. Make sure u freeze the bacon before u try to chop it. Not ice hard, but super firm will make this easier.

This was a seriously awesome recipe, I was shocked I didn't screw it up, and I'll be making this a staple go-to. Thank u deb!