PDA

View Full Version : The thing I hate most about maternity tops

wellyes
05-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Why is every maternity top I see made for layering? They all have these wide v-necks and look cute with a cami underneath.... but (1) I don't have an umlimited supply of camis and I don't want to buy one for every shirt I buy and (2) it is 86 degrees out right now. I just want to wear a flippin' t-shirt!

Beth24
05-30-2010, 02:10 PM
I found some cheap, cute, lightweight maternity t-shirts that do not require an additional layer at Old Navy. And the style doesn't look too maternity so you can definitely wear them after baby comes. Good luck!

lizzywednesday
05-30-2010, 02:30 PM
I lived in my ON maternity tees last summer! They are running a Memorial Day sale right now, so maybe you'll score something nice?

jerigirl
05-30-2010, 03:49 PM
I recently bought these from ON. They run a touch on the big side so I would consider sizing down. The first two definitely don't need camis. They both have elastic at the hem so they could be good post partum to hide the belly then.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5804&vid=1&pid=759920&scid=759920002 in melon ball

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5804&vid=1&pid=753991&scid=753991022 in the pink and one in white

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5804&vid=1&pid=735150&scid=735150212 in black and white (these I am undecided about needing a cami underneath. I am learning toward being less self conscious with one on. also the white is pretty thin. the black doesn't seem as thin.)

hellokitty
05-30-2010, 05:37 PM
I think that they assume that pregnant women all have very large boobs, lol. I agree though, I remember with my last pregnancy being surprised by how low cut some of the tops were when I was in no way wanting to, "flaunt" anything up there.

ewpmsw
05-30-2010, 09:55 PM
I found some great maternity tees on JC Penney's maternity website back in Jan/Feb. Mine are plus, but it seemed like there was a lot of variety in regular and plus sized maternity tops. My tops are not fancy, but the material is soft and sturdy and has stood up to tons of washes. The shirts are made to accommodate preggo tummies, but also have a fitted look instead of being tent-like. I like things I've found on the ON site, but a lot of the their tees seem to be made of really thin material.

sunnyside
05-31-2010, 11:16 AM
I"ve been living in the Gap fitted Vneck cross tops!

ebjw
05-31-2010, 07:31 PM
At this point, I don't care if it's partially see through. It's hot and my belly is huge!

PearlsMom
06-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I totally love the Liz Lange maternity tees at Target -- they are super lightweight (like tissue tees), crewneck, and cut long and lean. They come in long and short sleeve. I had a couple l/s for winter and just bought 3 more s/s for summer. They're very thin, but for the hot weekends that's just what I want. Also great for sleeping in.

Beth24
06-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a couple of those too. Love them!

luckytwenty
06-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I have gotten really big boobs while pregnant and feel like everything I wear screams, "Look at my boobs!" If it's not see through, it's obscenely low-cut. I agree with you! And I hate needing to wear a layering tank in hot S. Florida!!

swissair81
06-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I might be a weirdo, but I wear shells under my shirts. I do not flash the general population.

My pet peeve is that none of the shirts are long enough. I am tall & a nice portion of my height is in my torso. By baby number 4, I could do with full coverage. I'm not showing off my stretch marks.

sunnyside
06-08-2010, 06:03 PM
The BeBand cami tanks at Target are pretty great if you HAVE to layer. At least they are super long and stretchy and that way I can wear whatever I want on top even if the top is a bit shorter than my taste.

Tanya
06-08-2010, 06:09 PM
You are supposed to layer? I thought all maternity tops were just made for women with huge breasts and they wanted to show them off.

What I cannot figure out is why my maternity tops are now too short. I mean seriously, I'm only 15.5 weeks (with twins) and I know I wore these when I was 39 weeks with my last pregnancy and I don't remember them being so short. Why is the band on my shorts showing? What am I going to do when I'm HUGE?

And I wore a v-neck t-shirt outside on Sunday and I was bending over putting mulch down and I felt like I was flashing the neighborhood. It wasn't even a big V or anything, so how the heck do people wear most of those huge necked tops? Am I seriously supposed to layer in the hot summer????