PDA

View Full Version : It hurts when I sneeze!

ourbabygirl
05-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm 20 weeks along, and for the past couple of weeks, my stomach hurts really bad when I sneeze! I remember this happening when I was pg w/DD a couple years ago, but it kind of bothers me. Is there anything I can do to make it not hurt? I try holding my stomach while I'm sneezing, and afterwards (kind of putting pressure on to hold it in place more), and just breathing deeply afterwards to try to breathe away the pain.
Have you experienced this, too? Any tips? I'll probably ask my dr. about it at my next appt.

Thanks!

smcdonald2
05-31-2010, 10:21 AM
This started for me at 8 weeks! But I have ovarian cysts so I'm sure that didn't help. Would have terrible groin pain when I sneezed. Still do. The thing that helps me is to be standing when I sneeze, not sitting or lying down. I have no idea why.

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Round ligament pain is a good candidate. Those muscles that are being used to hold your growing uterus just get an extra work load during a sneeze. http://www.babycenter.com/0_round-ligament-pain_205.bc

Beth

wellyes
05-31-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't really have an answer but I do sympathize. The other day I was trying to swing on the swingset next to DD and I realized that at 34 weeks, I just don't have the ab strength to do it. I think it's probably part of the same issue - you tense your core to sneeze.

It is very humbling, to not be able to pump in a swing the way a 5 year old can.

BeccaB.
06-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I can totally empathize and wish I had an answer as it is happening to me too. This is my second pregnancy and it's worse this time after a c-section with DS1. My doctor said it's round ligament pain and didn't have any suggestions of how to fix it. I hope someone will have an answer.

ewpmsw
06-07-2010, 01:23 PM
No suggestions, just more sympathy. I have to "tense my core" when I sneeze, or deal with leakage. Either way, it's no fun.