PDA

View Full Version : Stroller Sightings

salsah
05-31-2010, 02:07 AM
I know that there are other stroller addicts here who will appreciate my stroller sightings. We went to an affluent town, just outside of the city, about an hour away from where we live. while driving thru the city, i saw some nice strollers (for city living) including a classic pram (four large fixed wheels, wire shelf for a basket). were driving past so i didn't get a good enough look to guess what it was. once we hit the touristy part of the city, we entered the land of graco and evenflo strollers. but when we arrived at our destination, all i saw was the good stuff. lots of bugs, vistas, a mutsy, mountain buggies, bobs (only a few), tons of bj's (minis/classics/elites/select and even a special edition pink one), a bumble ride, a p&t, a kelty joyrider (not sure why there aren't more umbrella folding jogging strollers), a p3, and some macs. i was surprised to see so many great strollers and only those, nothing else. i live in the suburbs so i'm used to seeing a mix of everything, but mostly just the stuff that is available at bru (b&m) -- gracos, pegs, and macs.
it was refreshing. and it wasn't just the strollers. at one point during the day, it occurred to me that i hadn't seen a bjorn (or worse carrier) yet, which is what i'm accustomed to seeing in my area. saw some baby wearing, but all ergo/beco/pikkolo styles. (i also didn't see a single nursing cover. where i live, i see hooter hiders everywhere i look. but today, i saw tons of moms, just sitting in the middle of the action nursing with their boob showing (they were not trying to be discreet) and sometimes even their stomach, back, and side showing too. i would never see that here in the burbs.)

MamaBear
05-31-2010, 08:49 AM
I *love* stroller spotting! I'm on a train right now, we've just been in Quebec City for 5 days. No good stroller spotting there, though.

We just had 3 weeks in Germany, which is always fantastic for stroller spotting! :bouncy:

ETA: I've never used a nursing cover. With #1, I found he'd try to see out if I draped anything over him and would end up exposing me even more than if I just used my top to shield myself. With #2, I'm not even trying.

georgiegirl
05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
How very exciting! Sounds awesome!

I saw an uppa baby vista the other day (sitting right outside the apple store in the mall). Here there are mostly gracos, but I've seen some Bobs and P&Ts here, a few Valco trimode twins, a Stokke once, and one of my friends has a Bumbleride Indie. There's one B&M store that has BJs, Uppa Baby Vista, and P&T. Although most moms wear Bjorns, there are a decent amount of ergos, mei tais, and other non-bjorn carriers. (I have a pikkolo.)

With DD, I rarely covered up to nurse, but with DS I usually cover up (I'm a little disappointed in myself), but by now (10 mo), he's pretty used to it and oftentimes he needs to be covered so he isn't distracted by what is going on. Almost everyone here uses hooter hiders and the like.

♥ms.pacman♥
05-31-2010, 09:54 AM
hehe, i guess i'm not the only one who does this! :)

when i go to an upscale mall in Dallas proper, i addition to all the nice designer bags i love spotting all the really nice strollers...Bugaboos, Orbit, Stokke Xplory, etc. quite a difference from the local mall where i live, which is land of gracos/evenflos/snapngos (not knocking those, for 4 mo all i had was a graco snugrider).

and so true about the wraps as well. i wore my SleepyWrap to my local supermarket and people looked so shocked to see a baby being carried in a wrap (u almost never see that in my town). whereas in dallas in higher-end supers u see them all the time. the only time i saw someone else in my town uise a SleepyWrap was in an La Leche meeting.

that's cool that you saw lots of people just nursing without a cover too. that is awesome. where i live u almost never see someone NIP'ing, nursing cover or not. i think i will have to get used to nursing w/o one tthough..the other day i had to nurse at a restaurant and my son was totally batting at the cover, it was crazy.

arivecchi
05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
I live right smack in the city and I guess we are all stroller snobs here because you only see Bugs, Bobs, MBs, Valcos, BJs, Uppas, Macs, etc. I very rarely see cheapo strollers. It makes for fun stroller sightings! :)

Suzanne74
05-31-2010, 02:26 PM
I live in a stroller snob area too. Maryland suburbs right outside of DC.

BJCM is just as common as the Lexus RX. Everywhere!!

I see lots of european strollers too from diplomats and such. Go down to the national mall and you will see everything from a Cosco $20 umbrella stroller to top of the line prams.

I love looking at strollers. Why don't we all combine forces and start multiple boutiques all over the country! :boogie:

Jelly Bean
05-31-2010, 04:02 PM
I live in a stroller snob area too. Maryland suburbs right outside of DC.

BJCM is just as common as the Lexus RX. Everywhere!!

I see lots of european strollers too from diplomats and such. Go down to the national mall and you will see everything from a Cosco $20 umbrella stroller to top of the line prams.

I love looking at strollers. Why don't we all combine forces and start multiple boutiques all over the country! :boogie:

Suzanne74 - I'm in MD too, so I second this!

LoveBeingMrs
05-31-2010, 04:34 PM
DH and I go for walks almost everyday during the summer. We see so many Bugs and Vistas... we keep count. lol :D

AnnieW625
05-31-2010, 05:11 PM
In my general neighborhood I see Gracos, Evenflos, cheap umbrella strollers, and double or single Bobs. The Baby Trend single and double joggers are also popular. Same with the huge malls in the OC except add in some Maclarens, Bugs, and a Vista. Also seen a few Tike Techs around too.

If I am near the beach you see pretty much every stroller known to man kind, and every possible type of person pushing one. Nannies pushing Bobs, regular moms pushing Pegs, and Gracos, and maybe a Baby Jogger; everything from a mini to an older fixed wheel traditional Baby Jogger.

Disneyland is stroller watching heaven for So Cal residents. I once saw a family of twins with not one, but TWO Stokke Xplorys!

elektra
05-31-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm always on the lookout too. The Chicco Liteway is the latest one to really catch my attention. Looks really cool. Sorta like a Peg Si I think. I had not heard it mentioned here on the BBB.
Yes, I feel like I really see the gamut where I live, which is fairly close to Annie.

GonnaBeNana
05-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Here in ND if I spot someone with a "snob" stroller, I immediately think; "they're not from around here." ND prides itself on good old mid-western common sense and frugality. We have our share of Lexus (4x4's of course) and I even spotted a Lincoln pick up truck the other day (dumbest thing I've ever seen for a truck!), but mostly Graco's, joggers, and the like around here. Of course we can only use them 6 months out of the year, so maybe that's why!

Beth

arivecchi
05-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, I'm in the Midwest too! ;)

wellyes
05-31-2010, 10:37 PM
In the Boston 'burbs there are definite pockets of stroller snobbery. When DD was really little I went to Coolidge Corner in Brookline to check out the nifty stroller shop (Magic Beans) and was just astonished to see mobs of parents pushing around every fancy stroller I'd ever heard of. Seeing the strollers in practice was really enlightening...... I think at that time & place Quinnys were the most popular. There are a few other neighborhoods where taking DD around in her Mac makes me feel a little loserly LOL.

liamsmom
06-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Hee hee. I was doing this ALL DAY yesterday when we were out of town. I think I saw more BOBs than anything else, but it was nice to see stuff in person for a change.

salsah
06-01-2010, 01:27 AM
oh yeah, i saw a quinny too.
i didn't see anything that i hadn't seen before. but i was surprised that i didn't see any thing else.

MacMacMoo
06-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm an hour south of seattle. The closure to the city you get the more fun sightings I see. Where we live there are tons of gracos, the go to double here is the contours.

Local fair nicest we say was a BJ classic and mini.

Saw a Tango at the water park the other day

We were at the nice mall half an hour north and I saw a PP switch, any umbrella was a mac no toys r us freebies, Orbits, vista with toddler seat, I think the go to double though is the phil and ted.

DH calls me a stroller snob, because I'll gawk and tell him what it is and how much is costs.

cath_b
06-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Hmmmm, been reading this thread and have read the phrase "stroller snob" so many times and still don't get it. Now when I push my stroller around the neighborhood or the mall I don't know if I'm being snobbed or otherwise hehehe. :)

Abby
06-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I live in Boca Raton, FL where there are tons of rich people, and not so rich me. First time I went to the mall I took my snap and go and was quickly out shined by the orbits, bugaboo, maclaren, and strollers I have never seen anywhere. I got stroller envy and like a small child determined to get that toy that would make me cool I started my really silly mission. Since I coudn't afford a new stroller I shopped used. To date I now own a bumbleride queen b, bob revolution, dreamer design, a new maxi cosi foray, and a maclaren techno. I have gone completely mad. The good thing is I only spent $550 total on the whole lot of them. I would say my favorite is the Foray because it has that new look, nice colors, and works as a high chair in restaurants. A pain in the butt to fold and unfold but hey for the money well worth it.

roseyloxs
06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey it sounds like you live near me. I don't usually get to see much either but I am visiting my parents in Chicago right now and I have already seen about 20 bugaboos, a quinny, and a maxi cosi foray.

I'm an hour south of seattle. The closure to the city you get the more fun sightings I see. Where we live there are tons of gracos, the go to double here is the contours.

Local fair nicest we say was a BJ classic and mini.

Saw a Tango at the water park the other day

We were at the nice mall half an hour north and I saw a PP switch, any umbrella was a mac no toys r us freebies, Orbits, vista with toddler seat, I think the go to double though is the phil and ted.

DH calls me a stroller snob, because I'll gawk and tell him what it is and how much is costs.

lorinick
06-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I live 20 mintues outside of the city and there are many high end strollers. Uppa, Bob, BJCM the double P&T everything. Our local BRU sells P&T and Bob and BJCM and BJCMD. And there is a BBB that sells everything in the same town. I love checking out strollers.