PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Instead of a BJCM get a MB Swift!

arivecchi
05-31-2010, 12:19 PM
After using my new Swift for a couple of days now, I have concluded that it is a great alternative to the BJCM. They are about the same weight and size but the Swift has air tires hence a much better ride. The canopies are the same size, the basket on the Swift is better and easily accesible, the Swift has an adjustable handlebar and the Swift is much better built. The Swift has a pretty compact fold for an AT as well. HTH!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jTwukNHSd64/TAPTWjiicjI/AAAAAAAAA44/d-pjOcXPFrY/s512/IMG_2554.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jTwukNHSd64/TAPTXv1uubI/AAAAAAAAA48/kX3ssT5ZKJ0/s576/IMG_2555.JPG

jacksmoma
05-31-2010, 12:30 PM
it does look nice but if you need a stroller for in/out of the car the swift might be overkill...the swift looks GREAT for city life though!

jacksmoma
05-31-2010, 12:31 PM
and those pics don't help the bjcm any since that one in the pics looks gross! i want to clean it!! lol

salsah
05-31-2010, 12:32 PM
the swift is actually 5 lbs heavier than the bjcm. for some people, 5 lbs and the easy one hand fold (the swift fold is quick and easy too, just not bj quick and easy) are worth giving up air tires.
i could see myself with both.

Suzanne74
05-31-2010, 02:19 PM
If you have air tires, those 5 extra pounds won't matter with the better push. The only concern is getting it in and out of the car, which once you probably get down pat, isn't a big deal.

Ninotchka
05-31-2010, 05:08 PM
But is it almost twice as good? Because it's almost twice as expensive. It's also a lot longer. The Swift seems like a great stroller, but the IMO the Mini really hits a sweet spot of quality, features, and value.

arivecchi
05-31-2010, 05:20 PM
The Swift is very easy to fold and put in the trunk. Did it this weekend. I think the MB is actually a better value because it will have a much higher resale value. Just food for thought. I got mine for $289 though! :boogie:

arivecchi
05-31-2010, 05:44 PM
If you have air tires, those 5 extra pounds won't matter with the better push. The only concern is getting it in and out of the car, which once you probably get down pat, isn't a big deal. The push on the Swift is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. The best push I have experienced so far!

Ninotchka
05-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Ooooh, $289? I'm jealous! New or used? Where did you buy it? When I was looking, all I could find was $450! Is it an older model? I was just looking at list prices ($450 vs $229) -- Baby Jogger never seems to allow discounts on the Mini; if MB allows discounts on the Swift then it could close the gap considerably.

I got my BJCM for $100, but that was used and I was super lucky to get it -- for some reason, even though they're popular around here, they just don't pop up on our Craigslist very often. When I saw it for that price, I was in my car on the way to pick it up within the half hour.

arivecchi
05-31-2010, 05:56 PM
I got it new from diapers.com! They do sell them for $450, but they gave me a bunch of discounts for previous delays. :jammin: I am sure you can get them for less when online stores run promotions.

Ninotchka
05-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Niiiiiiiice deal! :applause:

sste
05-31-2010, 10:42 PM
I love the swift, but I need to fold the stroller in our hallway. Is there a way to fold one-handed while holding an infant in the other arm?

It does look lovely!

satchnbucky
05-31-2010, 10:52 PM
the swift is actually 5 lbs heavier than the bjcm. for some people, 5 lbs and the easy one hand fold (the swift fold is quick and easy too, just not bj quick and easy) are worth giving up air tires.
i could see myself with both.

Ugh - 5 lbs is a big chunk o' change when you're throwing the stroller in and out of the car all the time... I have to go with Salsah on this for a stroller that's going in and out of the car, I'd rather have 5 less lbs and the one hand fold. That said, I think I'd go for the Swift over the BJCE, since the swift weighs less and has AT tires! Seems like a good compromise between BJCM and BJCE. But it is a bit pricey...

And please, oh please, make your friend clean that stroller! Arivecchi, I know you're not a huge BJCM fan, but now you're just being mean!

(PS, Arivecchi - on a serious note, thanks again for giving us yet another stroller to consider and drool over! You could be stroller dutchess!)

arivecchi
06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I love the swift, but I need to fold the stroller in our hallway. Is there a way to fold one-handed while holding an infant in the other arm?

It does look lovely! I don't think so. You fold it in one move but by pulling on two levers next to the footwell, so you need to use both hands. You are welcome to check out mine!

And please, oh please, make your friend clean that stroller! Arivecchi, I know you're not a huge BJCM fan, but now you're just being mean!

(PS, Arivecchi - on a serious note, thanks again for giving us yet another stroller to consider and drool over! You could be stroller dutchess!) Sorry! I would use another one if another neighbor had one. She has the only BJCM in our complex. I actually think the BJCM is a great stroller, but I think there are so many other cool options out there! :tongue5:

vonfirmath
06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't think so. You fold it in one move but by pulling on two levers next to the footwell, so you need to use both hands. You are welcome to check out mine!

Sorry! I would use another one if another neighbor had one. She has the only BJCM in our complex. I actually think the BJCM is a great stroller, but I think there are so many other cool options out there! :tongue5:

There are lots of cool options out there I would consider if my budget had been more. THe great thing about the BJCM was it fit in my budget.

swissair81
06-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Is the sunshade better than the Urban?
When are they coming out with a double Swift? If they do, I'm sold.

arivecchi
06-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Is the sunshade better than the Urban?
When are they coming out with a double Swift? If they do, I'm sold. The new canopy is as large as the BJCM canopy, so I was thrilled to see that given their old skimpy canopies. The front part of the canopy is a meshy material that shields them from the sun but allows them to look out. :thumbsup:

satchnbucky
06-02-2010, 09:14 PM
There are lots of cool options out there I would consider if my budget had been more. THe great thing about the BJCM was it fit in my budget.

:yeahthat: And I felt kind of guilty even spending that when I already had a Triumph and a few others (And I got my BJCM for about $150 after price matching and discounts and bing!)

satchnbucky
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I got it new from diapers.com! They do sell them for $450, but they gave me a bunch of discounts for previous delays. :jammin: I am sure you can get them for less when online stores run promotions.

Wow, I just noticed that - those must have been SOME delays (the most I've gotten for delays is $5)!!! :)
(I love diapers.com - they're like the nordstrom of baby e-tailers!)

arivecchi
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Wow, I just noticed that - those must have been SOME delays (the most I've gotten for delays is $5)!!! :)
(I love diapers.com - they're like the nordstrom of baby e-tailers!) I know! I was so happy they gave me such a huge credit. I had three consecutive orders come in late so I asked if they would give me a credit for those and I would in turn buy a Swift from them. They gave me a huge credit. Then, instead of the Swift, I received a Frontier, so they reimbursed my card for an additional discount and I got the Swift for $289. :47: Crazy! Diapers.com, I :heartbeat: you!!!!

I understand that $450 is pricey, but instead of getting the BJCM and an AT stroller, this is a really good option and you end up spending less than what you would spending money on two strollers. For others who can afford the $450, the nicer Swift might be worth the difference in price.

vonfirmath
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I understand that $450 is pricey, but instead of getting the BJCM and an AT stroller, this is a really good option and you end up spending less than what you would spending money on two strollers. For others who can afford the $450, the nicer Swift might be worth the difference in price.

What is an AT stroller?

The BJCM IS our big stroller. We've got that and an umbrella for travelling with since I don't want to take my Mini on the airplane becuase of the risk of it breaking.

poohbear
06-03-2010, 03:39 PM
What is an AT stroller?

All Terrain

roseyloxs
06-04-2010, 09:10 AM
I just bought a BJCM yesterday from diapers.com and can't wait to get it. I already have a Bumbleride indie twin so my around the house AT stroller requirement is already filled. I love the fold of the BJCM so for me that beats the swift out but I have a friend who is preggers with her first who was considering the BJCE but was concerned about the weight. I will have to pass along the recommendation. Thanks.

smcdonald2
06-04-2010, 09:18 AM

That's a great point. I just got a BJCM because it fit our budget AND we're not outdoorsy enough to need an AT stroller. But if we needed both, I might just get the Swift instead. Does it recline flat?

arivecchi
06-04-2010, 10:19 AM
That's a great point. I just got a BJCM because it fit our budget AND we're not outdoorsy enough to need an AT stroller. But if we needed both, I might just get the Swift instead. Does it recline flat? Yes it does and there is also a carrycot available for newborns that is super cute!

adler
06-06-2010, 02:27 AM
The new canopy is as large as the BJCM canopy, so I was thrilled to see that given their old skimpy canopies. The front part of the canopy is a meshy material that shields them from the sun but allows them to look out.

I heard that the canopy gets hot because there's no ventilation and it's thick material. Do you notice that being a problem? I like the Swift a lot but I live in a very hot climate so I'm concerned about that...

arivecchi
06-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I heard that the canopy gets hot because there's no ventilation and it's thick material. Do you notice that being a problem? I like the Swift a lot but I live in a very hot climate so I'm concerned about that... I don't understand why it would be a problem as the canopy is so big that LOs are well protected on hot days. The fabric of the Swift is substantial. I did use it with DS2 on a close to 90 degree day and he was fine in there. HTH.

swissair81
06-06-2010, 12:52 PM
My dh says I can get one if I sell my Mac Techno. Hmm...

adler
06-06-2010, 01:29 PM
I saw this in reviews:

There is no air vent section at the back of the seats & can get quite warm in there on very hot days.
and this

There isn't alot of ventilation with any back sections opening on a warm day if you have the sunshade on.

No ventilation, during summer I find my boys get very hot in it as there is nowhere to open at the back,

and more, all from people who love their Swifts but don't like this part. It's also all reviews on the 2009 so I don't know if that was changed with the longer canopy.

swissair81
06-06-2010, 01:49 PM
There are no air vents on the Urban either & my kids were perfectly fine when I used it. It's not fully enclosed that the sunshade needs airvents. Maybe they are complaining about the lack of airflow when using the suncover. Something you probably don't have to use much with the new hood- it's longer & has a mesh section.

arivecchi
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
It's not fully enclosed that the sunshade needs airvents. Maybe they are complaining about the lack of airflow when using the suncover. Something you probably don't have to use much with the new hood- it's longer & has a mesh section.:yeahthat: While it is true that there are no vents, I cannot see how it would get too hot in there. I would think it'd be the opposite because the new canopy is so large. I just don't see that being a problem, but then again, I live in Chicago.

legaleagle
06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Anyone compare a swift to a bumbleride indie? Not that I have the slightest need for an AT single right now...

swissair81
06-08-2010, 04:47 PM
As a reward for selling 4 singles, I got to order my swift. Can't wait to try it out.

arivecchi
06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
As a reward for selling 4 singles, I got to order my swift. Can't wait to try it out. :yay: Yay! Hope you like it! Which color did you get?

swissair81
06-08-2010, 04:58 PM
:yay: Yay! Hope you like it! Which color did you get?

Yeah, I'm excited (both that I cleared out my collection & also that I got a cool new one). I got the chili.

arivecchi
06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I'm excited (both that I cleared out my collection & also that I got a cool new one). I got the chili. Awesome! Both DH and I are thrilled with it so far. It is a dream to push!

swissair81
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Even better, I'm off bedrest now. I can actually use this stroller to walk places. It's funny, because one of the strollers I just got rid of was a MBUS. I hated the sunshade though & I'm looking forward to the smaller frame.