PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some DS games for 4 year old?

ohiomom1121
05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm breaking down and getting DS a DS Lite for his birthday. He has a Leapster and tons of games that he's mastered, and he loves Wii so I guess this is the next logical thing. (Plus maybe he'll quit confiscating my phone to play with when we're out!) Any good games you can recommend? I would love some element of learning with them if possible.

KrystalS
05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
My nephew got a DS for his birthday in March. He loves Super Mario Bros. That is by far his fave. He also has a Diego game, Batman (he had trouble with it at first but he loves it now), and he just started playing my DDs Starfy game. He needs help with it sometimes. No advice on learning games because we don't have any educational games. I haven't really looked for any because we have Leapsters too.

ohiomom1121
05-31-2010, 09:25 PM
My nephew got a DS for his birthday in March. He loves Super Mario Bros. That is by far his fave. He also has a Diego game, Batman (he had trouble with it at first but he loves it now), and he just started playing my DDs Starfy game. He needs help with it sometimes. No advice on learning games because we don't have any educational games. I haven't really looked for any because we have Leapsters too.
Do your kids still use their Leapsters with a DS in the picture? I wondered if it would get the boot?!

KrystalS
05-31-2010, 10:48 PM
My DD does, after the newness of the DS wore off. DD likes the harder games, but has definitely given up the easier ones. She's 6 btw, so a little older than your DS. My nephew hasn't had his DS very long, but he still plays his Leapster occasionally.

Tondi G
05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
ZHU ZHU PETS!!!!! My just turned 5 year old has this game and it is PERFECT for the non-reading younger child! He has lots of fun with it!

Others I've heard about are

Diego
Wonder Pets
Backyardigans
Smart Kids Gameclub
Littlest Pet Shop

Ooh here you go... found a good list

http://www.amazon.com/Preschoolers-Favorite-NINTENDO-DS-Games/lm/R2EDYJ0Z64VK52

lhafer
05-31-2010, 10:56 PM
We just got my 4 year old DD a DS. We didn't review the games before hand and ended up getting some that were too hard (too reading intensive). So after researching I got her:

Diego: Safari Rescue
Smart Girls: Playhouse (boy's version is Smart Boys: Gameroom http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Boys-Gameroom-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000RZ8Z8M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1275360950&sr=8-2)
Mario Bros - her favorite by far.

ohiomom1121
06-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Great recommendations...thanks!!! There definitely seems to be a lot more games geared towards the younger crowd than I expected. Those smart kids games seem perfect. Mario is a given since he is currently Mario obsessed but I'm happy I can supplement with a few less mindless ones. :)
And that Zhu Zhu pets game looks perfect for my niece...maybe I'll get her that and the Smart Girls. Thanks!

new_mommy25
06-02-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm glad I found this thread because I was going to ask the same thing. DH brought our 4 year old DD a DS on a business trip. I took her to Game Stop today and she chose Alvin and the Chipmunks Squeakuel. It's a cute game that requires no reading. It's kind of like Guitar Hero for little kids where you have to swipe the touch screen in the direction of the arrows. I think she'll like the Zhu Zhu pets and Smart Girls game so thank you everyone for the suggestions.

kboyle
06-02-2010, 02:07 PM
for my boys the only thing i found at that age 4-5 that they were able to play w/o a lot of help was any of the LEGO games (batman, indy & star wars, Harry potter to come out 6/29) ds1 got his ds at 5yo and had trouble with most others. the smart kids games and the like were easy enough for him to play, but most leapster games posed more of a challenge, those games were WAAAY too easy and boring for him.

ds2 got his ds last yr on his 4th bday and his 2 faves are mario bros & pirates of the carribean...only two out of a gazillion that he likes. we inherited a ton (like over 100 games) from older cousins and friends and these are what he likes.

wario ware is a winner too. raving rabids. animal genius (exactly like leapster one)

when ds1 got the ds he played leapster when he got frustrated with ds games, but after 4-6 mos of having ds the leapster was long forgotten. ds2 never even picked it up. ds3 will play with it a bit, but the stylus picking up his actions is frustrating and he plays his ipod touch more anyway.

we do have the zhu zhu game, but neither ds will play with it, too girly they said, lol.