PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to carry my 20 month old while pregnant?

foodiezen
06-01-2010, 12:46 AM
I have received tons of advice from everyone I know. Most are paranoid that I pick up and carry my almost 30 pound toddler around. Is it safe? I'm in my second trimester. TIA!--Katherine

wellyes
06-01-2010, 12:54 AM
How could you not carry around your 20 month old? It's impossible! Mothers throughout history have done it, so unless you have any special issues I don't see it as a problem. It definitely does become DH's turn more often than usual when you're PG though.

With my big 3rd trimester belly, I almost always carry DD on my hip. I also put her on my shoulders sometimes :).

MoJo
06-01-2010, 06:54 AM
I certainly do too (in front of my OB-GYN & midwives, too) and no one has told me not to. One person (another new mom) was quite impressed that I can squat down, grab my toddler, and stand back up. (You really should be lifting with your legs, not your back, especially now).

Depending on the baby's position, there are times it's pretty easy and other times it hurts more. When DH is around, I definitely ask for his help more than I otherwise would. But there are plenty of times he's not around, and then I do whatever I need to do.

WatchingThemGrow
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
My back hurts from doing it

SnuggleBuggles
06-01-2010, 07:51 AM
How could you not carry around your 20 month old? It's impossible! Mothers throughout history have done it, so unless you have any special issues I don't see it as a problem. It definitely does become DH's turn more often than usual when you're PG though.

With my big 3rd trimester belly, I almost always carry DD on my hip. I also put her on my shoulders sometimes :).

:yeahthat:

Heck, I went to weight lifting class all through pg (had been going for years prior). I had to make some modifications b/c the belly got in the way but I could and did lift a good amount. I always heard that the rule for physical activity while pg is that if you are healthy and low risk then keep doing what you have been doing (just listen to your body if you need to slow down). You have been carrying your toddler all along- this isn't a new exercise. Ask your Dr. or mw (or check out any pg book I have ever read :)) and I bet you'll be reassured. What do your friends and family recommend instead?

Beth

KrisM
06-01-2010, 07:53 AM
I sure did. I also carried a 4 year old at times when I was pregnant with #3.

Unless you have a specific reason that you shouldn't be lifting anything, it's fine.

hillview
06-01-2010, 08:24 AM

:yeahthat:
/hillary

newg
06-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I still am at 27 weeks. I do ask DH to hold her sooner and more frequently, and I bend at my knees to pick her up (and have started to hold onto something for a little stability as I stand up). I asked a few of my friends that just delivered how long they picked their toddlers up, and they said right 'till the end............

Like pp mentioned.......I'd say it's ok as long as there no reasons you're not suppose to, in which case your OB would tell you not to.

Tanya
06-01-2010, 01:52 PM
If you are used to carrying that, then I don't think it's a big deal as long as your pregnancy is going fine. Picking up something heavy when it's not part of your normal schedule can be dangerous/risky though.

So, for example, if this was your first pregnancy and you tried to pick up a 30 pound box, that wouldn't be smart. However, since you've been picking up your child all this time, it's not something new.

I have a 3.5 year old and I'm still picking her up and I'm pregnant with twins. I am trying to get her to walk more though (she's especially lazy), but that's not just because I'm pregnant. It's because I want her to get used to walking more since I'll be carrying around twins soon enough. I'm also "weaning" her from the stroller now. ha ha.
My 7 year old still climbs onto my lap too. I'm not used to picking her up, so I don't go doing that now!

Tanya

luckytwenty
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
My son was 2 1/2 and about 30 lbs when my daughter was born, and I carried him until maybe the last month or so, when I started to ask my husband to pick him up out of the crib and give him a bath. Right now his little sister is a 37 lb. 4 1/2 yr old and I pick her up occasionally, but I am sure I will need to stop when I'm 8 or 9 months again.

ewpmsw
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
DD is about 24 lbs and I pick her up and occasionally carry her, and I'm 30ish weeks. I'm not letting her climb all over me any more (ugh!) and I'm trying not to lift other heavy things like bags of mulch. I didn't give it a second thought until I saw this thread...

Neelloc
06-01-2010, 09:07 PM
My DD's are 21 months apart. I had no choice but to carry my DD1 around while pregnant. I just tried to take it easy when I could and when DH was home he would do the carrying.

scmama
06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I am 32 weeks pregnant and am still picking up my 27 lb 18 month old. Not all the time because if I do it too much, my back kills me. Like some of the pp's said, how can I not? The only people who have told me not to were actually my mom and mil (who for the first time in history actually agreed on something). I'm sorry, if my baby needs me, I will pick him up.

kellyd
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
DS is 2 and almost 30#. I'm 29 weeks w/ twins and still carry him if I need to. It's hard... but what else do you do!

swissair81
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
28 weeks here: I am constantly lifting my 23 lb 19 month old & my 31 lb 3 year old. No way to escape it. Edited to add that my 5 year old broke her her leg when I was pregnant with my son. I carried her up and down the stairs for 2 months.

Piglet
06-08-2010, 05:13 PM
I carried my nearly 6 year old when due with DD. He got hurt and needed to be picked up. It happens. I don't see what could possibly be the problem unless you are on bed rest.