PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant and sick. Booo...

smcdonald2
06-01-2010, 08:04 AM
For the last week or so, I've had a constant tickle in my ears. I think it was fluid building, because this morning I woke up sick. Earache, sore throat, headache, fever.

Bleh. If I weren't pregnant, I'd just self-medicate with Tylenol and cough drops and wait for it to go away. Can I still do that, or should I call the doctor?

PearlsMom
06-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Sick when pregnant = the worst!

I'd call the doctor and see what you can take. Regular, no-frills Tylenol is generally OK, but believe it or not I've been told to limit cough drops while preggo (forget why). But if there is a chance that allergies are contributing, you might be able to get an antihistamine prescription that is safe and helpful.

I just remember having a cold at about 28 weeks that I would normally have gotten over in a day, and it ended up taking over a week...the pregnant immune system is just not that strong! Sending you lots of healing vibes!

MoJo
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm right there with you. . . I'm 38 weeks, and DH is STILL fighting this cold he brought home two weeks ago, and I haven't even had it for a week yet (and, of course, DD has it now too).

My midwife said tylenol, mucinex and vitamin C are all fine. I didn't ask about cough drops.

HIU8
06-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Ugh, I hated being sick when PG. With DS I had the flu 2x and a constant UTI. With DD I had a raging sinus infection. The PITS!

smcdonald2
06-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Oh gosh...the flu and a UTI? Guess I shouldn't complain about a head cold-thingy. Thanks for the advice, ladies. I've only had one cough drop, so I'll check with my midwife before taking more.

fumofu
06-02-2010, 02:09 AM
When I had a cold earlier in my pregnancy I read up on cough drops. Apparently menthol may cause contractions, which is no good unless you want to start labor. Instead I bought Luden's non-metholated cherry-flavored cough drops. I checked it with my doctor and he said those are fine. I bought 2 bags from Target.

Feel better soon!