PDA

View Full Version : Best carrier for a newborn?

swissair81
06-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I have tiny newborns (my biggest so far was 6 lbs 5 oz). I own a pikkolo, but I already know from experience that i will have to wait a month or two to be able to use it. Also, so far, 3/3 have had reflux & required me to carry them 24/7. What is a good carrier that I could get for the first 2 months or so, that will also be secure enough to hold baby while I am running after 3 little monkeys?

hobie
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Love the moby! It also allows you to carry the baby upright, or in a burp hold, which is great for a reflux baby.

catpagmo
06-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Love the moby! It also allows you to carry the baby upright, or in a burp hold, which is great for a reflux baby.

:yeahthat: I second the Moby. It was a lifesaver for me!

Green22
06-02-2010, 09:39 AM

What is this burp hold? I went to youtube but didn't see anything.

I just got a Moby and like it very much, would recommend it. My DD has a bit of reflux and a wobbly head (she doesn't realize it though, she loves to look around) and I only use the newborn hug hold. Not sure if it is super-secure to be running after toddlers, but I imagine you could make it work.

peanut520
06-03-2010, 05:13 PM
loved my moby! it was a complete life saver for my reflux baby.

citymama
06-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I also have tiny babies - DD1 was under 6 lbs, and DD2 was 6 lbs even. My DH swears by the Maya Wrap, which he has used for both babies starting at around a week. I had forgotten how almost magically sleep inducing it was - DD2 sacks out within minutes of being placed in it! For some reason, I've never been a MW user - for one, DH and I are such different sizes, that it's a pain to retie each time I use (DH has no such problem - he is the MW pro!). I have a Kangaroo Korner microfleece pouch and am quite happy with it. It fits well and DD likes being in it - but she won't sleep in it, which sort of defeats the purpose IMO! She constantly tries to nurse me when she's in it.

Also in our stash: Ergo carrier with insert (we have yet to try it - seems huge for our peanut), Babyhawk (also seems huge), Bjorn (for 2-5 months IMO), New Native pouch (hand me down, haven't tried yet but I've seen other small babies in it).

lizzywednesday
06-03-2010, 06:24 PM

I just got a Moby and like it very much, would recommend it. My DD has a bit of reflux and a wobbly head (she doesn't realize it though, she loves to look around) and I only use the newborn hug hold. Not sure if it is super-secure to be running after toddlers, but I imagine you could make it work.

Try also searching "reclined cradle" or "rebozo" ... there are photos posted at thebabywearer.com

I still can't figure it out with my EllaRoo, so I'm calling in the big guns - the local babywearing group!!!

swissair81
06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok, really stupid question. Can you get the metrowrap on by yourself? I was looking at the instructions for some of the newborn holds & some of them say to have a partner help you.

MomToOne
06-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I liked the pouch for my newborn and can (and do!) still use it for my toddler

lizzywednesday
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Ok, really stupid question. Can you get the metrowrap on by yourself? I was looking at the instructions for some of the newborn holds & some of them say to have a partner help you.

I just took a look-see at the metro and I say if I can get mt 5-meter EllaRoo on by myself in a windy/rainy/hot parking lot, you should have no trouble with a metrowrap as long as you practice first.

AnnieW625
06-08-2010, 01:51 AM
I like my Beco as does DD2. I did see some Moby Wraps at Target and am thinking of trying it, but really the Beco is soo fool proof that I am not really sure that I want to learn how to tie another wrap.

swissair81
06-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Is it true that Becos are better for shorter moms? I'm 5'8".

TwoBees
06-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Is it true that Becos are better for shorter moms? I'm 5'8".

I had heard that too, but the Beco did not work for me. I'm 5' flat and have a short torso. DD is tiny but I still felt like she was about to whack her head on my chin. Maybe I'm just TOO short. I have a tall friend who loves her Beco.

lizzywednesday
06-08-2010, 08:28 AM

Look for the videos posted by Wrapsody. They're the people who make the GypsyMama wraps and their videos are short but great. (I just used one to try a new carry that I should be able to nurse in once I get some more practice!)