PDA

View Full Version : Did you have someone take pictures/VDO while you were in labor?

moonsky
06-01-2010, 01:42 PM
If yes, who? Is it against the hospital policy?

SnuggleBuggles
06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
My CNM, doula, dh, nurse- they all took pictures at some point. No problem at either the hospital where ds1 was born or birthing center where ds2 was born.

Beth

Kestrel
06-01-2010, 07:30 PM
At my hospital, there are no restrictions in the birthing rooms, but some restrictions in the surgical area, if for some reason you need a c-section.

becca_g
06-01-2010, 07:50 PM
There were no restrictions while I was in labor.

When I was moved to the OR (emergency c-section), DH was allowed to take photos of DS being born as long as he didn't lean over the drape between my head and the surgical field. He was also allowed to take photos of DS as he was being cleaned/assessed. One of the nurses then offered to take photos of DH, DS, and me while we were still in the OR.

g-mama
06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
There were restrictions at my hospital, but that may be because I had c-sections so it was the OR. My SIL, who is a professional photographer, took the day off work to photograph the birth of DS3 and when we got to the hospital, they said she couldn't come in. I was SO bummed, but as she was leaving, one of the nurses ran and caught her and made an exception and said she could stay. We got some absolutely amazing pictures of his birth and our first moments together for which I will always be grateful.

kijip
06-02-2010, 04:07 PM
There were no restrictions, save for my restrictions. For me, some things just are not Kodak moments. I would not have been happy with pictures being taken of me while I was in labor. After the birth- shots of me, baby and new family? Great. During labor? Not my thing.

brittone2
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Our doula with DS1 was also a photographer. I didn't end up needing to rely up on her heavily as a doula but she got some awesome photos that I love. She was very non intrusive. Hospital policy at the time did not prohibit photos.

With DD things happened so fast I don't think I have any photos of labor and delivery. Just photos of her afterward. That was at a freestanding birth center, no ban on photography.

With DS2, I have a few photos of me in labor. I wish we had gotten a few more as DH was busy filling my labor tub, etc. His actual *birth* happened so fast, no pics of that, but again, lots of pics afterward. Homebirth, so obviously no problem w/ photos there either. (eta: and in the tub, my belly covers mostly everything and I had a bikini top on, so the pics are not really revealing at all. You just see bikini top, belly, and then legs, kwim?)

HIU8
06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
My hospital had restrictions during delivery (no matter where it was). No pics could be taken of any hospital employee handling the baby. Labor pics could be taken. First bath etc... pics could be taken, but none during delivery. I told DH that if he took video he would not be going home. I wanted NO video taken whatsoever while in the hospital.

ebjw
06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Our hospital's policy was no cameras/videos until baby was out. I wouldn't have wanted that documented anyways!

swissair81
06-02-2010, 04:57 PM
There were no restrictions, save for my restrictions. For me, some things just are not Kodak moments. I would not have been happy with pictures being taken of me while I was in labor. After the birth- shots of me, baby and new family? Great. During labor? Not my thing.

Precisely.

becca_g
06-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Following up on my earlier post, the labor photos DH took were just photos of me lying in the hospital bed between contractions (you couldn't actually tell I was in labor by the photos alone) ... nothing that I wouldn't feel comfortable showing friends and extended family. DH shot one short video sweep of me in my hospital room (using our DSLR camera) and a couple of DS in the OR as he was being assessed, and that was it as far as videos went.

Lots of photos just as DS was delivered via c-sxn and afterwards as well. If I hadn't had a c-sxn, there's no way I would have allowed any photos of the actual delivery, but that's just me.

MoJo
06-03-2010, 08:37 AM
No. I kind of wish we would have taken at least one "pre-labor" photo (my water broke, but I wasn't in labor) just to record the end of the pregnancy. Don't regret not having photos or video of labor, but really wish we had more after DD was born. (NO ONE took any pictures until I asked for the camera from my bed in the labor room, and both my DH and my mom were there and had been shown how to use the camera.) So I was trying to get pics of the first bath etc from my bed, because I wasn't allowed to get up yet.

Then, when DH finally used the camera, he was taking pics of DD with my lovely mesh hospital underwear & my horrible pregnancy rash as the background. . . and of course those were the pics he wanted to post online!

Now, this time, I'm hoping for a water labor/birth. (I hoped for it last time, but ended up on pitocin, which at my hospital means no water, including the shower). If I get it, I'd love a few photos of that, because at least the ones I've seen, you can't see anything embarassing.

The hospital birth center doesn't have any restrictions on photography/videography. I'm not sure about the regular L&D.

Hawkeyewife
06-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Baby #1 - took a few pictures at home in labor and many right after DD was born in hospital

Baby #2 - pictures at home, DH set video camera (I have never actually watched the video), Doula took some great pictures of the birth!

Baby #3 - home birth, took pics of labor, set up video camera (still haven't watched it), and too many right after birth

Baby #4 - home birth, hired a photographer, she took tons of great pictures of labor, birth and right after!!!

bubbaray
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Definitely NOT. Why would I want to remember labor??!!! Ugh. Nope.

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Yesterday ds1 asked to pictures of ds2 when he was born. They are in the album along with pictures of me in labor. I scrolled by them so fast because I have no desire to look at them. I mean, they are fine, I was very zen (:)) in labor so it just looked like I was resting but still not the most beautiful pictures. However, I am sure others would cherish those so it's hard to know. I guess take them with the option to hide or delete them later. :)

BEth