PDA

View Full Version : Feminine Pad Suggestions for Post Delivery

alwayzrunning
06-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm set to deliver our first child any day now and have not used maxi-pads since Junior High. I'm sure a lot has changed in the feminine product world since then, so I'm looking for suggestions on what pads work well for the days after delivery. Also, any suggestions on where to find the best breast pads? signthankspin:

trentsmom
06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I used Always Infinity and was very happy with them. For breast pads, I used Lansinoh.

I hope you have a very easy delivery and recovery!

tmahanes
06-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I used Always Infinity and was very happy with them.

I also hadn't used them in years and was pleasantly surprised at the comfort. I used the overnight heaviest protection ones.

Good luck!!

Neatfreak
06-02-2010, 11:46 AM
At the beginning, I went with whatever band was cheap and absorbant. That whole part of my body felt bizarre after deliver anyway, so a less engineered pad didn't really affect my comfort level. After a week, Always worked well.

larig
06-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I totally wish I'd come here to ask, like you I hadn't worn pads in 25 years!

I don't have any brand recs, but I will tell you I HATED wings, they were such a pain to get on right and frustrated me to no end. Good idea, but in practice they were a PITA.

Get some tucks (or any hemorrhoid pads with witch hazel) too. My doc's aftercare also had me get some cream too, but I can't remember what it was called started with an m, maybe?

ivegotayen
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
There's a kind made by Always that are enormous, designed for overnights. They come in a purple package. The pads actually have two sets of wings: one set in the middle and one set in the back. I used them during a m/c once. They work really well if you're lying down a lot and needing something with mongo capacity.

I picked up a package of those, along with a package of Always Infinity Overnights. The infinity pads are not as full coverage and don't have the ubercapacity, but they have a sort of foam layer that makes them really comfortable.

Most hospitals also provide you with some, I hear, that somehow work with disposable panties. (?) Several of my friends have mentioned they actually liked these and made sure to take home the remaining supply the hospital provided them when they were discharged.

So, in for me, that's three options. I feel like I should be covered. :)

dukie41181
06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I will preface this with acknowledgement that it will wound weird, but just go with me...

For after delivery my midwives suggest using Depends rather than pads for the bleeding. We took their recommendation and I must say, it was a great one! I never had to worry about bleeding through, ruining undies, etc. Another friend of mine who is 32 weeks just asked me about this as her OB (in a different part of the state) suggested the same to her. I would definately recommend this plan for ease...I was never worried during the day or at night.

newg
06-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I think I went with the heaviest flow Always pads. The widest and thickest were always the most comfy......
For this time I went out and bought some cheap Hanes undies to wear after. I bought the granny panties because I'm going to have a c-section, so they'll pull up over the wound..........but then I can not worry about if they get yucky and just toss them out when I'm done.

I like the idea of the Depends too........I may have to go out and buy a pack of those too!!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-02-2010, 02:11 PM
as for breast pads, i like the Medela ones that are cloth and re-usable. kinda bulky, but they do the job. i got disposable ones too but i don't like them nearly as much..thinner yes but not as comfy, the adhesive sometimes sticks to the nipple (ouch!).

and re: pads, my hospital gave me a TON (so huge they looked like diapers) with mesh underwear. i used those until they ran out, then used Always pads with the heaviest flow (overnights i think)>

AshleyAnn
06-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I used target's generic version of always pads and liked them. I generally skipped the winds because I'm allergic to adhesive and found they were constantly sticking to me instead of my undies. Even with pads I ruined at least half a dozen panties.

I LOVED witch hazel pads. I had a 3rd degree epi and two tears (one 2nd degree and one 1st degree) so I was in pain and the only thing that helpped was the tucks pads. They gave me some at the hospital but I ran out and had to get more. I used them for nearly a month but I also moved at 2 weeks PP from a 3rd story apartment which was very hard on my body and caused more harm than good.

Cheburashka
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
and re: pads, my hospital gave me a TON (so huge they looked like diapers) with mesh underwear. i used those until they ran out, then used Always pads with the heaviest flow (overnights i think)>

The hospital I went to did the same. I asked for extra disposable panties and giant pads before I was discharged, and once those ran out, I had Always to fall back on. My roommate at the hospital recommended Depends, but the overnights worked for me.

Indianamom2
06-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I have had good luck with the Stayfree Ultra-thin Overnight with wings. In fact, what I did both times was to double them up...they're still thinner than the regular pads, but you can offset them a bit for extra coverage. I had no problems with them.

While at the hospital, I just used the mesh undies/huge, long, thick pads they provided.

Oh and witch hazel pads in bulk are a good idea!

lil_acorn
06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Another Stay Free gal here.

bcafe
06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Yep, try the adult incontinence "pants". I loved them last time as they work for undies too and no leaking when shifting around, especially in bed. They are also covered under a FSA where as menstrual pads are not.

HIU8
06-02-2010, 03:53 PM
:yeahthat: plus I used an always overnight inside the depends. It worked like a dream. I would do that combo again.

DebbieJ
06-02-2010, 04:09 PM
for the first couple days post partum when everythign is sore, I just sat panty-less on a chux pad in bed.

I like Always for other times when I need to wear a pad. The bigger the better at first.

alwayzrunning
06-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions. I'm going to pick up Depends and Always (seems like the brand of choice) to see which I like better. Hopefully, that should cover me for the first few days after arriving home.

ebjw
06-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes, lots of witch hazel pads (I had 4th degree tears & episiotomy) stock up!
Those mesh underwear gave me a rash after a week of wearing them!
Depends? Brilliant! Totally going to stock up on those this time around!

swissair81
06-02-2010, 04:56 PM
I've used Depends after all 3 babies. I already stocked up.

lizzywednesday
06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm another Always Infinity gal, but I also had a c-section & didn't have to care for tears or an episiotomy.

Frankly, I despised the hospital pads because they were so thick. They also felt wet. Yuck.

I also wore my own undies as soon as I could because it helped me feel human again, but YMMV. (I bought a couple packs specifically for the hospital).

citymama
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I agree with the PPs - stock up on the hospital pads if you like them. I really liked the ones at our hosp and wish I had left with more. Always Overnights did the trick but were more plasticky feeling and not as comfortable.

alexmommy
06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Another Depends/Always Overnights user. That way I didn't have to bother with underwear and could just toss it. The hospital stuff just leaked everywhere. Tucks witch hazel pads were amazing. Also used some hemroid (sp?) cream.

flamingo
06-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Well I don't know if this matters to you or not, but 7th generation makes chlorine-free pads (just as they do diapers, wipes and tampons). I picked up a pack of their overnight pads (they come in both ultra thin and regular) for my upcoming birth. There are also a few other companies who offer organic/unbleached/all natural paper products.
Also if you want to be really green (or if you find the paper/disposable pads irritating), you could get CLOTH pads. Weird I know but similar to CDs (just wash and reuse). GladRags is a good brand. Or even just keep a thick towel or two under you.

tryin
06-03-2010, 11:11 AM
There's a kind made by Always that are enormous, designed for overnights. They come in a purple package. The pads actually have two sets of wings: one set in the middle and one set in the back. I used them during a m/c once. They work really well if you're lying down a lot and needing something with mongo capacity.

I picked up a package of those, along with a package of Always Infinity Overnights. The infinity pads are not as full coverage and don't have the ubercapacity, but they have a sort of foam layer that makes them really comfortable.

Most hospitals also provide you with some, I hear, that somehow work with disposable panties. (?) Several of my friends have mentioned they actually liked these and made sure to take home the remaining supply the hospital provided them when they were discharged.

So, in for me, that's three options. I feel like I should be covered. :)

I completely agree with everything here. the Always purple pack is the BEST find ever. I would also ask for as many hospital pads as they will give you and the mesh undies. Remember anything that is disposable or that you open is yours anyway.

I love the Johnson & Johnson brand of breast pads and the Lansinoh are come in second (they bunch).

tryin
06-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Oh and I know you didn't ask, but make sure to bring home and use the peri bottle (LOVE) and if they give you Dermaplast spray, keep it right by your toilet. (Heavenly).

Tanya
06-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I used the hospital diaper size pads and pantyhose type panties in the hospital. By the time I checked out, I was able to use my own undies and pads. The hospital did send me home with a package of maxi pads, but they were super thick and uncomfortable. I just used Always Ultra which were thinner. Wings or without is a personal preference. I prefer wings when I'm bleeding heavy.

Veronica's Mommy
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I was just at CVS and I saw they had this thing called "Hospital Style" pads, they were down on the bottom shelf in the corner, in the pad/tampon aisle. Thought I would mention it, I'd never seen that before!
Also, Depends seem like a good idea. Helps with the incontinence issue too!

fortato
06-03-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree with the PPs - stock up on the hospital pads if you like them. I really liked the ones at our hosp and wish I had left with more. Always Overnights did the trick but were more plasticky feeling and not as comfortable.

A month before I found out I was finally pregnant with this baby, I threw away all those GIGANTIC Saddle Pads that I got from the hospital when I had Jack. I wish I had kept them. They were perfect for when I first got home and wasn't going to leave the house.... Then I moved on to Always overnights- but that was 4 years ago. I have been using Kotex pads for my "light bladder leakage" because they have wings and I don't have to worry about the bunching up that kept happening with the Poise pads.

I'm glad I found this thread, because, I've become a devoted user to my Diva cup and haven't needed pads in so long.....

Thank you ladies for the info!!

billysmommy
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I brought as many of the ice pack pads home from the hospital as they would give me. I loved those!!!

With ds2 I ordered a bunch of cloth pads topped with organic velour and they were heavenly!!! Just toss them in the wash on hot, throw them in the dryer (no fabric softener sheets) and they're good to go again. There are alot of sellers over on hyenacart ~ mine were all from Shandelle (todzwife). They are my typical shower present for all my pg friends.

larig
06-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Okay, the hemmorhoid cream that I was talking about in previous post was dibucaine, there is a brand name version called Nupercainal (DH bought some in a B&M Walgreens). The hospital sent me home with the generic Dibucaine 1%.

What they had me do until I felt more "comfortable" was to take 3 tucks/witch hazel pads lay them on top of the pad/depends (overlapping the circles), then squeeze a line of the dibucaine (as long as you think you need). I used LOTS of the stuff, and it made me feel so much better. I think it also keeps the pads from sticking to you.

Costco has tucks. You literally want a Costco sized amount. And if you have more than one bathroom see if you can get an extra peri-bottle from the hospital (so you have it where you need it).

Oh, and you might want some nipple cream/lanolin etc.

AnnieW625
06-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Stayfree Overnights w/wings are what I used for the most part. I did get some Always Infinity at the hospital and those were okay too. I had never been a fan of Always because of the dry weave, but these weren't so bad.

Nursing pad wise I am currently using Medela disposables, they are okay, but I probably won't buy them again. I started using Lasinoh, which I had used for most of my bfing with DD1, but didn't like them at all this time; I think they changed them. Once I am done with the Medelas I will most likely use Johnson & Johnson which I used with tail end of bfing DD and they were just as nice as the Lasinohs.

ivegotayen
06-04-2010, 12:53 AM
These are the Always purple packs I mentioned earlier. (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=190847&catid=9587&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=9587&trxp2=190847&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT)

Turns out the outer wrapping is more black than purple... But you can see on the label how the second pair of wings works in the back. You're totally covered when you are laying down.

There are different Always Overnights, but these kind give you the most coverage and absorbency.

lizzywednesday
06-04-2010, 08:40 AM
OMG, I forgot to respond about breast pads.

I bought myself some Lansinoh brand "Soothies" before I went to the hospital thinking I could keep a set in the fridge and a set on me if I was in pain. This was logical, but since you have to wipe the residue off your boob after you remove the pad & before you pump or nurse, it's a PITA. So I got Gerber brand hot/cold gel compress packs for soothing soreness.

I used the Lansinoh brand pads because I got an unopened pack from my sister who gave up on BFing my nephew. They are OK, but a little stiff and the individually wrapped pads just seem so wasteful!

I also bought washable pads from Pea in the Pod (via Destination Maternity) which I like OK in a pinch, but they do get funky.

My disposable of choice are Philips/Avent Eco-Friendly. They are smaller in diameter than the Lansinoh and the adhesive tape is narrower, but they are softer and thicker ... and flushable in a pinch!!!

Lastly, I also use LilyPadz when going out with DH. They're supposed to stop leaks before they start. Whether they do or not is irrelevant to me; they don't leak and I can nurse DD immediately when I remove them because they don't leave a funky residue like the Soothies.

BabyMine
06-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I used the TENA pads. They are like the ones in the hospital. They are huge but after delivery they were a life saver.

flamingo
06-05-2010, 06:04 PM
BTW since we got talking about breastpads too, I thought I'd mention I got a six pack (three pairs) of organic cotton breast pads from a company called TLCare at BuyBuyBaby for only $5.99! Watch out though b/c the Green Sprouts brand costs the same for only one pair (but it looks like it is shaped so that might be why it's more) and for some reason Babies R Us sells the same TLCare pack as BBB but for $9.99! WTH!?! I have noticed that BRU charges more for organic products in general than BBB. Kinda like trying to get affordable organic food at a regular supermarket vs. going some place like WholeFoods or Trader Joe's. The main stream store just doesn't have the demand necessary for offering a discount the healthfood store can give...