PDA

View Full Version : Toro, Swift, Indie or "Other"

Idarat
06-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Hello Everybody!

I have been lurking here for a few months now, trying to find the answer to my own personal stroller dilemna. You all are so knowledgable and helpful that I decided I would get your opinions because I am stuck. Here is my situation:

We are having our first baby in three weeks (or sooner, please, God). We live sort of in the suburbs and due to a visual impairment, I do not drive. We are about a mile walk from PT which includes lightrail and bus, both of which I would need to access. We are in metro Denver, so the weather is random, and I would need something that could handle snow and some roughish terrain.

Ideally, I need an umbrella stroller with AT wheels (which I know doesn't really exist) Priorities include:
-reasonable fold, weight and footprint for use on PT
-rugged enough for urban environments, foul weather, snow, ice
-Pref flat recline or at least compatability with SnugRide 32
-"reasonable" price. I understand the concept of you get what you pay for (within reason), BUT DH is clueless, and worried about money, and can't understand why the humongous Graco travel system somebody generously handed down to us won't work for my needs.

I am considering
-Micralite Toro
-Bumbleride Indie
-Mt Buggy Swift
I have not seen any of these in person. Am I on the right path? Any other suggestions? Are there less expensive options which would fit my needs, and if not, help me justify the price of these options.

And, THANK YOU!!!!!

arivecchi
06-02-2010, 01:33 PM
The Toro and the Swift sound great for your needs, although I do not think they would fit comfortably in a bus. You might want to use a baby carrier for the bus instead. Other than that, they are great for long walks, will both work for a newborn and toddler, can handle snow and rough terrain and are of great quality. I would only rec the Swift over the Toro because I think it will have a better re-sale value as Toros are not well-known. I think the Indie is too big and bulky for your needs. I have a Swift and can answer any questions you may have. I posted a review about it with pictures.

P.S. Can you sell the Graco stroller to apply some of that money to the new stroller?

Idarat
06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for your quick response. I did check out your review, which is what got me even considering the swift. Is it considerably smaler than the indie? I like that the Indie comes with all the accessories. Of course, I really like that the Toro has a little standing platform you can buy for a toddler to ride along, that seems pretty cool, because in my situation, a double stroller is going to be even less of an option!

When you said you had concerns for the bus, were you thinking of the stroller open or folded, because I would *intend* to fold it for bus travel, which probably shows my naievity about traveling with a baby.

crl
06-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I love my swift and I think it handles bumpy sidewalks and curbs great. I think it would be good for snow. But I don't know that it would be great for public transit. The fold isn't exactly tiny. It definitely reclines for a newborn and they are supposedly working on a carseat adaptor as well.

I seriously considered the toro when I got my swift. I think the fold on it is better, although I never saw one in person.

Catherine

Idarat
06-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Okay, sorry if this is redundant, but my other post seemed to disappear after I hit submit and I am 37 weeks prego, so not very patient:rotflmao:

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I did see your review of the swift, which is what made me add it to my list. However, is the swift really that much more compact than the indie? They seem about the same weight, but I am BAD with dimensions. I like the fact that the accessories are included with the indie.

Also, considering the bus issue, were you thinking all too big for the bus when folded or open. My *intent* would be to have them folded on the bus, which probably shows how little I know about traveling with a baby, who would probably be napping just as we boarded the bus, and object to her bed being "off limits" However, if they will work folded on the bus, then folded we will do.

Finally, anybody used the older child stand on attachment for the Toro. I have to say, its pretty compelling.

Thanks to all...

arivecchi
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks so much for your quick reply. I did see your review of the swift, which is what made me add it to my list. However, is the swift really that much more compact than the indie? They seem about the same weight, but I am BAD with dimensions. I like the fact that the accessories are included with the indie.

Also, considering the bus issue, were you thinking all too big for the bus when folded or open. My *intent* would be to have them folded on the bus, which probably shows how little I know about traveling with a baby, who would probably be napping just as we boarded the bus, and object to her bed being "off limits" However, if they will work folded on the bus, then folded we will do.

Finally, anybody used the older child stand on attachment for the Toro. I have to say, its pretty compelling.

Thanks to all... Strollerqueen lists the weight of the Indie as 22 pounds - same as the Swift. I do not have an Indie to compare to my Swift, but the Indie seems longer/bigger to me whenever I see it in my neighborhood. You can attach a toddler board to a Swift too, so that is not an issue. I take the bus with my kids a lot and I just don't see how you would have time to fold the stroller and deal with the kiddo. I only take my Maclaren Triumph in the bus because it fits through the aisle and can stay open as I board. I don't think it would be fun to deal with a folded stroller inside the bus. I would probably get an umbrella stroller for that purpose when your LO is bigger.

roseyloxs
06-04-2010, 10:16 PM
I have not seen the Toro or Swift in person. I have seen the Indie and I own the Indie twin. I love my indie twin but I would say its weakest point is the fold. I would think for riding on PT you would want either a skinny stroller or an amazingly easy fold, have you considered a baby jogger?

The one plus to the indie fold is there is handle to carry the folded stroller by. The biggest downside is that it does not lock automatically and I find on my twin that the manual lock tends to not stay locked. Its not a huge deal to me since I use the handle and it stays folded if you use that to carry it. Also I rarely fold it since I just use it for walks around the neighborhood.

Good Luck.

tammi777
06-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I love my Indie (have the Flite too which I love) and I cannot imagine folding/unfolding for the bus. However, the Flite is quick, light and has a handle. Love this stroller too but does not have all terain wheels since it is an umbrella stroller, a very nice one at that.

Hope this helps-

gamma
06-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Depending on where you live or travel to, some buses will require you to fold the stroller before boarding. I would look for something with a one hand fold, since it's hard enough to juggle a baby and bag while folding a stroller. If the stroller requires 2 hands, where would you put the baby down while you fold the stroller? Just something to think about.

WatchingThemGrow
06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
If you are considering taking any stroller onto the bus often, I would highly recommend an Ergo. It gives you a place to put the baby while you grab your bag (backpack?) and fold your stroller.

Idarat
06-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks everybody for your input. Ugh, there seems to be no "perfect" solution and I had to take a break from this topic because I was getting way too obsessed.

I do plan on using a baby carrier a lot at first. Maybe I should just stick to that and see if I get more ideas about what I need and where baby and I will need to go together.

It sounds like the Indie is out, for my needs, although it looks so wonderful.

Am I right that the Swift is smaller/more compact?

Does anybody have the Toro?

arivecchi
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
OP, there is a Toro for sale at strollerswap for $250 with accessories!

strollerqueen
06-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Thanks everybody for your input. Ugh, there seems to be no "perfect" solution and I had to take a break from this topic because I was getting way too obsessed.

I do plan on using a baby carrier a lot at first. Maybe I should just stick to that and see if I get more ideas about what I need and where baby and I will need to go together.

It sounds like the Indie is out, for my needs, although it looks so wonderful.

Am I right that the Swift is smaller/more compact?

Does anybody have the Toro?

Yes, except it folds longer, but flatter. The Toro has a nice small fold and stands up, like the Swift. But the small front wheels means it's not too A/T, so it depends on what you need it for. Have you compared all of the dimensions? I do have them all on my sites.

MariP
06-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Hi - I did tons of reaserch to come up with the "perfect" stroller for me. The ladies in this board were really helpful... I live in Boston and use public transportation (DH has a car, but I do not drive). DD is 3 months old and so far I love my Toro. To me it seemed the perfect compromise between a lightweight stroller and a full size one. It maneuvers great thanks to rear air tires that makes strolling down bumpy sidewalks really easy. It has an easy fold and I like that it stands upright once folded. The only problem with the fold is that it is a two hands fold, so you will need to use a carrier if your city's public transportation system requires that you fold the stroller before boarding (this does not happen in Boston). Right now I am using the stroller with my Graco Snugride (you do have to buy an adapter - $40- )
HTH

Idarat
06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks again, ladies. You are all so wonderful. Strollerqueen's reveiws are awesome! While I have spent lots of time (and post-its) comparing dimensions, I am dimensionally challenged, so it all ends up looking like greek to me:) Arrivecchi, thanks so much for the tip! I emailed the seller to see if it is still available. $250 feels like a much safer "risk" than $525 (although hubby would disagree, which is why we don't discuss these things)

Mari, having lived in Boston for 5 years, I am pretty confident that if it works well for you there, it will meet my needs here. Out lightrail is similar to the green line.

I am sort of assuming that for crummy weather, snow etc, you can tip the stroller back a bit and use the rear wheels more?

arivecchi
06-11-2010, 11:33 AM
That Toro in strollerswap has been taunting me for days. Please buy it so I don't! Love the green and orange canopies.

swissair81
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
That Toro in strollerswap has been taunting me for days. Please buy it so I don't! Love the green and orange canopies.

You're catching up to me. Keep it coming...

arivecchi
06-11-2010, 02:43 PM
You're catching up to me. Keep it coming... LOL. My DH will kill me if I get another one. According to DH, we only need the Mac Triumph. :ROTFLMAO:

swissair81
06-11-2010, 03:02 PM
You need to get your triumph & I'm getting rid of my Techno (athough, is that stupid? I won't have a single umbrella then). So we'll be even.