PDA

View Full Version : air travel with 5-month-old - help!

lily2010
06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
My husband and I are planning to take our son, who will be almost 5 months, on a trip from upstate NY to Minnesota in July to meet my husband's parents.

We'll be flying from one small airport to another, and will have to switch planes, probably in Chicago.

I have a million questions:

1) should we buy a third seat? right now the ticket prices are astronomical ($500 each) so I can't really see doing this
2) assuming we don't buy a third seat, should we check the car seat? is there a bag we should buy to check it in? (it's a Chicco KeyFit 30)
3) how do we transport baby in the airport and at our destination? - our strollers are a BJCE (definitely not bringing this) and a Maclaren Easy Traveller (which is obviously useless unless we don't check the car seat). We're probably going to buy a lightweight stroller at some point (Mac Triumph or Quest maybe) so buying it sooner rather than later is an option. Baby has never liked the Moby wrap and used to like the Ergo but has gotten too big for the insert and screamed bloody murder the other day when we tried to put him in with his legs straddled. We're considering getting a bjorn or some other front-facing carrier, but who knows if he would like this.

Other considerations:
At almost 4 months, baby takes a lot of naps and gets very cranky if he's awake for more than 2 hours. My fear is that he won't be able to sleep in transit and will end up miserable.

We're not planning to rent a car at our destination - in-laws will pick us up (so renting a car seat is not an option).

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I just found out we're taking this trip and wasn't prepared to travel with DS so soon (we haven't even traveled overnight yet).

YouAreTheFocus
06-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I have flown solo with my baby twice--once at almost 3 months and just last week at almost 8 months. Both times I have bought him his own seat, even though the cost was pretty high. I have friends who think I'm nuts for paying for him when he could fly free, but I really can't imagine holding him the whole way (obviously this would be easier between you & your husband). For me, naps would be one of the biggest issues. He is a big napper, like your baby, and sleeps really well in his carseat. He will sleep for the majority of the flight in his seat. I don't think he would nap for several hours if I were just holding him. For me, carseat/snap n go is the way to go, I'm already dreading the xmas flight when he'll be too big for this combo!

tiapam
06-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I would probably not buy a seat for that age at that price for the distance you would be flying with two parents going.

You might want to check with your airline about luggage checking, etc, but my advice is do not check the carseat with your other luggage. Bring it to the gate. Politely ask if there is an unsold seat available. Hope for the best. If there is no seat available, you can gate check the carseat along with the Easy Traveller. I have never used a bag for my carseats, but have almost always gotten a seat. I try to be optimistic when we travel and have not had too many mishaps! I would bring some sort of sling or other carrier just in case, even if baby does not normally like it, you will be shaking things up and he might find it comforting.

You can't control naps too much, but traveling usually wears them out so much that they actually sleep more. Again, think positive!

Except for the multiple flights, this sounds like an easy trip: one kid, two parents, eager grandparents waiting on the other end. Be sure to bring extra diapers, and extra clothes for all three of you onto the plane. Good luck and try to enjoy!

becca_g
06-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Here's my experience ...

Flew with DS three times between 2-5 months of age, twice with DH and once alone. One trip with DH was nonstop; the others had 1 stop. We travel with a Chicco Keyfit 30 and a Baby Trend Snap N Go stroller frame similar to your Traveller.

We never bought an extra seat for DS. We use the Keyfit and stroller frame in the airport and gate check both unless there's an extra seat on the plane (ask at the ticket counter and at the gate). If there's an extra seat, you can use the Keyfit on the plane without having to pay anything additional (I was able to do this at least a few times).

We push DS in the stroller until the end of the jet way and then bag and gate check the Keyfit (unless there's an extra seat) and stroller frame using these covers:
JL Childress Ultimate Car Seat Travel Bag (http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Ultimate-Seat-Travel-Black/dp/B0009RNXNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1275624762&sr=1-1)
JL Childress Standard and Dual Stroller Travel Bag (http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Standard-Stroller-Travel-Black/dp/B000262HMQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1275624762&sr=1-4)

We transport both covers in the stroller basket until we reach the gate. Diaper bag, etc. hang from the stroller handle.

This stroller bag came out after we bought ours:

J.L. Childress Gate Check Bag For Standard and Double Strollers (http://www.amazon.com/J-L-Childress-Standard-Double-Strollers/dp/B003554H9M/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1275624762&sr=1-9)

We recently purchased a Pikkolo, and DS loves outward facing in the front position. I might bring it the next time we fly in case DS gets fussy in the stroller and for walking down the airplane aisle, but I would still want the stroller option for trecking around the airport, especially lugging carry on bags, diaper bag, etc.

DS fed and slept quite a bit on most of the flight legs. Unfortunately, he cried incessantly on one of the flights when I was traveling alone, and I ended up walking him in the aisle until I could finally get him to sleep. Thankfully, everyone on the plane was really nice about it.

Best of luck!

♥ms.pacman♥
06-04-2010, 01:28 AM
i wouldn't buy a 3rd seat. DH & I didn't when we took DS (4 months) fpr a 3hr flight and it was ok.

i started a very similar thread a little while ago. in the update i posted various tips and our experience..others had great tips too

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=358335

i used the JL Childress carseat bag that was a backpack. we checked it in right away, that thing is huge. unless u will be either 1) getting a 3rd seat (in which you'd bring the carseat to put baby in or 2) using a Snap N go type stroller, i would definitely check the carseat in at the ticket counter.

i used a sleepywrap which DS isn't used to, but it was great for going thru security. didnt' have to take baby out of the wrap as i was going in, which was nice.

pastrygirl
06-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Personally, I would buy the baby a seat: http://www.ntsb.gov/pressrel/2010/100527.html

I'm flying with my two kids this summer for the first time and know it's going to be a hassle...!

hillview
06-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Buying a seat is your call. I've flown once with a lap baby. If you don't buy a seat, I would take your car seat to the gate in case there is an extra seat. I would gate check your car seat if you don't end up with a seat. I took our BCJM to Europe last week and on 4 flights it was great. Failing that I'd get a Mac and take it and gate check it. Have you tried the Ergo as a back pack carrier? DS2 like this a lot.

Good luck -- this is generally a good age to be on a plane. Be sure to give DC a bottle on take off and landing to help little ears.

/hillary