PDA

View Full Version : I specified a brand name for a reason!

Cheburashka
06-02-2010, 06:57 PM
My SO and I went shopping yesterday with DD. Before we got to Target, it started raining, so he went inside with a list while I stayed in the car with DD. He comes out with Target brand tampons. I figure what the heck, maybe they'll be ok.

No. They aren't. It feels like a twig wrapped in cotton shoved up there. I've had to change them every 2-3 hours, or they leak pretty bad. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow, so I can run to the drugstore and get the good kind. Ugh.

hillview
06-02-2010, 07:27 PM
That sucks and that sort of thing does totally annoy me. Simple please follow instructions. ESPECIALLY for tampons!! Not like he has experience with them and knows they are the same (vs say pasta sauce). ARGH.
/hillary

catroddick
06-02-2010, 07:37 PM
ESPECIALLY for tampons!! Not like he has experience with them and knows they are the same.

:yeahthat:
Seriously. Don't mess with what you don't know.

elektra
06-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Oooooooooohhh. Not good.

bubbaray
06-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Well, props to your SO for buying them for you in the first place. I could be laying on my death bed and DH would never buy them for me (name brand or not)!

But, yeah, stick with what's on the list.

Cheburashka
06-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Well, props to your SO for buying them for you in the first place. I could be laying on my death bed and DH would never buy them for me (name brand or not)!

But, yeah, stick with what's on the list.

That was my thought. I was surprised he was still willing to go into the store after he looked over the list. And I was very pleased with him for getting them for me, but still... list, buddy. I wrote the type and brand I wanted. This was not like "coke", where he just picks out whatever kind of soda he wants. Baby steps, I guess.

KathyN115
06-03-2010, 07:42 AM
My DH is the opposite. If he happens to go to the store (which is highly unlikely) I send him with a short, detailed list. And he calls me at least 10 times. I guess 1 gallon of 1% milk is not specific enough???????

liz
06-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Sometimes generic/store brand is NOT the same. I hope you gave your SO some grief for being so frugal. :rolleyes:

marge234
06-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I hear you. Don't get creative, or frugal. Just buy what's on the list. Otherwise, we have to have a conversation about the shopping which, esp if the item is tampons, can be more of a drag than doing the shopping.

Smillow
06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I am the queen of buying generic. but I NEVER buy generic feminine supplies - NEVER! But I have no qualms with genreic diapers.... hmmm?

bigpassport
06-03-2010, 02:01 PM
I figure what the heck, maybe they'll be ok. No. They aren't. It feels like a twig wrapped in cotton shoved up there.

I'm sorry for your pain, but....I laughed out loud on that one! For five years of marriage, I was able to avoid sending DH to the store for tampons. I finally had to do it one day. I told him OB Super. I told him the super ones are in a green box. He was so focused on the green, he came home with Tampax super in a green box. Is it really that difficult? At least Tampax don't feel like a twig wrapped in cotton...

Andi98989
06-03-2010, 04:13 PM
I am the queen of buying generic. but I NEVER buy generic feminine supplies - NEVER! But I have no qualms with genreic diapers.... hmmm?

Having a generic on your butt is a little different than having a generic ... well .... :)

Cheburashka
06-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Normally, I am ok with generics. It's a good way to save money on stuff. But there are some things you don't go generic on. He knows this, and I was hoping to not have to explain in vast detail why generic tampons are bad. I think I need to find a notepad and a red marker. Drawings always help.

lizzywednesday
06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Normally, I am ok with generics. It's a good way to save money on stuff. But there are some things you don't go generic on. He knows this, and I was hoping to not have to explain in vast detail why generic tampons are bad. I think I need to find a notepad and a red marker. Drawings always help.

:hysterical:

Yeah, tampons & maxis are the ONLY things I am ridiculously brand-loyal about. (FWIW, I'm an o.b. no applicator/Always girl myself!)

Kestrel
06-03-2010, 06:59 PM
When I was having post-pardum complications, I had to send DH to the store for pads. I made him take the label off the package! He whined and complained, and said he'd take it but "leave it in the car". Well, he came home home with the right thing, but sheepishly told me he had to go back out to the car and get the label.

For grocery stuff, I now often take a photo of the package and email it.

But, of course, getting it myself is nearly always simpler.

carolinamama
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
My DH is the opposite. If he happens to go to the store (which is highly unlikely) I send him with a short, detailed list. And he calls me at least 10 times. I guess 1 gallon of 1% milk is not specific enough???????

This is so my DH. I have to keep the phone in my hand when he runs to the store. Can't make a decision without consulting me even with a detailed list. He probably would buy tampons but I'm not sure I've sent him. He's cheap (not thrifty, just plain cheap) so he would naturally buy the store-brand in huge bulk if it were the cheapest per tampon. Then I'd be stuck with an enormous box of feels-like-I-have-a-stick-shoved-up-there tampons. This would be after he called me about them and I asked him to only get the name-brand ;)

niccig
06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
DH follows the list to the letter, even if that means going to 3 different stores, and taking 2 hours to go to the grocery store. I'm not that loyal to brands, hurry up and get home.

Cheburashka
06-04-2010, 08:54 AM
DH follows the list to the letter, even if that means going to 3 different stores, and taking 2 hours to go to the grocery store. I'm not that loyal to brands, hurry up and get home.

Yeah, I've had to explain to him the way I write lists. If there is something like "Kiwi Strawberry Juicy Juice", get that exactly. If there is something like "coke", get whatever kind you want to get. I think he just wanted out of that aisle in a hurry.