PDA

View Full Version : need help with breast pumps!!

prats
06-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi

I am really confused as to which breast pump to buy. I found out that medela pump in style has very good reviews,but it is very expensive. Has anyone used any other breast pump and found them to be really good and low cost at the same time?

Thanks
Prats

pantrygirl
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
I purchased the Ameda Purely Yours on the advice from this board and the Baby Bargains Book.

I found it to be a workhorse. I pumped with it at least 3-4 times a day for over a year before I retired it. The pump gave out as I was using it like a hospital grade pump but Ameda customer service was willing to replace it for me.

Pros:
Cheaper than the Medela

Cons:
Parts aren't as readily available. You'll probably have to purchase parts online at diapers.com, ameda's site, etc.

I received my APY as a baby shower gift and it was one of the best things received. Maybe a few friends or the grandmoms can chip in to help you purchase your breastpump, whichever one you decide.

I still pump but I use a hospital grade pump available to me.
Note: I found that a hospital grade pump worked wonders with helping me feel comfortable and establishing a routine with pumping. You rent these babies and they aren't cheap. I do say it's a good investment though for at least the first few weeks to help establish a good supply.

Good luck.

Green22
06-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I purchased the Ameda Purely Yours on the advice from this board and the Baby Bargains Book.

Pros:
Cheaper than the Medela

Cons:
Parts aren't as readily available. You'll probably have to purchase parts online at diapers.com, ameda's site, etc.

:yeahthat:

I also purchased b/c it was recommended to me by a couple lactation consultants, along with the PIS. I bought the bare bones edition (just the pump basically) for about 160 at a local store. I figured I can use a purse I already have and put it in a plastic bag in there, along with a cooler, etc. If you buy the carrying case, etc I think the cost can get to be around 200 or so, which is comparable to the PIS (if you hit BRU with a 20% coupon).

My sister is using her same PIS on her 3rd kid and she pumped for a year with them. She just had to replace to tubing. FWIW

prats
06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
hey thanks to both pantrygirl and green22.............ameda purely yours was what i was thinking about, but not quite sure..............if i buy it without the bag it will cost me at $100 less than medela.............

Does anyone have any idea how playtex and first years Mi pump are? they have double electrics for less but i am not sure how good they are!!

AnnieW625
06-06-2010, 02:18 AM
Have you considered renting one from the hospital or breast feeding store? I have rented a hospital grade Medela Lactina for $45 a month (x 3 mos. with DD1, and probably the same with DD2) and have been very happy with that decision vs. purchasing a pump. Most hospitals have a variety of pumps you can try so maybe you can rent first and then purchase once you have tried a model or two out.

wendibird22
06-06-2010, 07:02 AM
I can't comment on the less expensive models, but I've used my PISA for 2 kids now and have only had to replace the valves (the white flaps). Before DD1 arrived I had a hard time thinking about spending that much $ on a pump, but IMO I've gotten my money's worth. That thing has taken a lickin and keeps on tickin. I pumped 3x's a day for 1yr with DD1 and am using it again the same amount for DD2. And I've even packed it in my luggage and you know how baggage handlers can be with luggage!

I like that I can easily get parts for it at BRU, BBB, Target, etc. if I needed to and their customer service is great.

Dr C
06-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Another vote for the PISA, though I can't comment on others. It's been a work horse, pumping at least 3x/day on work days through two kids. I like that the parts are readily available... one day I forgot my horns at home and was able to run out to BRU on my lunch break and pick up a second set (not a bad investment anyway).
If you are going to be pumping a lot (like going back to work) you will want a high quality pump. I wouldn't waste $$ on a cheaper pump unless you're planning to SAH and just need it for occasional use. If you're not sure, you can just rent a pump for the first couple of months and see how things go.