PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Rokenbok

KrisM
06-03-2010, 02:56 PM
http://kids.woot.com has a Rokenbok on today and I'm considering getting it for DS1. But, I really don't know much about it at all. He likes Legos, but his favorite Lego is the train because it does something. He still will play with trains with DS2.

He enjoys Snap Circuits a lot and loves his Quadrilla.

Will I need a starter set for this? I've looked at the reviews on Amazon for parts of it and they mention needing a starter set, but I'm not sure why.

Thanks!

kristac
06-03-2010, 03:45 PM
No idea but ....drool.... that looks like so much fun. Too bad right now I'm focused on avoiding tiny parts and 54374745 piece toys since we have a 6 month old. There are some videos on youtube.

KrisM
06-03-2010, 05:07 PM
I watched the videos and looked at the site and it looks so cool. The woot deal is about $370 on Amazon, for $99, so I bought it. The I Want One was bouncing, so I just did it. It'll probably be for Christmas for him and I think it'll be neat.

brittone2
06-03-2010, 05:46 PM
We have some Rokenbok. DS likes it but it isn't something we keep out full time. I don't think you are supposed to run it on carpet because of the fibers getting in the way, but we do sometimes. I think ideally you'd have a table to set it up on. I"ve seen pics where people have giant setups on ping pong tables LOL.

We have a conveyor set that DS purchased on ebay. He saw the display in a store and we were able to find it cheaper used, and he bought it with his own money.

I think it is a really fun toy, but at the same time...I kinda think the creative options are somewhat limited because it isn't that interactive. We don't have the money for a million sets (we have one add on vehicle I think to the conveyor set) and that limits what you can do with it.

After the initial novelty wore off DS had some buyer's remorse and said it was kind of boring. But he's revisited and enjoyed it since that time. We rotate it in and out of play.

NOt sure that helps...kinda vague, huh? eta: I think at full price, it is pushing what I would pay, but if you can get it 2nd hand or on sale, it is worth a try. I am sure it could be resold on ebay or CL.