PDA

View Full Version : I spy bags on Etsy

jgenie
06-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for a seller of these? Also, would they be good for a 2 yo, 3 yo, & 5 yo? TIA

Momof3Labs
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
My kids never got into them. They love playing I Spy in the car and at restaurants, but the bags didn't hold their attention at all.

fortato
06-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I love the idea of them but never wanted to spend the money on those....

Have you seen the "Find It" games? It's a cylinder that has the same plasticky bead things in it and a bunch of hidden items- same idea as the ISpy Bag, but in a bigger format. We have 4 of them and they keep EVERYONE entertained that picks one up. Plus- they are $20 or less...

August Mom
06-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I just got one for my 3-year-old from the seller aebaby for an upcoming trip. I will say that the beads are bigger or maybe more dense than I expected, so it's harder to see the items than I anticipated. DD hasn't tried it out yet, though, so I can't give a full review. I chose this style over others, though, because the items you are to find are printed on the fabric around the clear area where you are searching. A lot of the other ones had a tag attached or had the items on the back. For a younger kid, having the items (with a picture, not just words) printed on the front made sense to me. This seller was recommended to me by another mom. The whole sales transaction and the quality of the product was great. I couldn't have asked for an improvement in any area. The shipping was super fast also.

Here is an example of the type of bag I bought: http://www.etsy.com/listing/48572408/i-spy-bag-travel-toy-gender-neutral

calv
06-03-2010, 06:18 PM
I love the idea of them but never wanted to spend the money on those....

Have you seen the "Find It" games? It's a cylinder that has the same plasticky bead things in it and a bunch of hidden items- same idea as the ISpy Bag, but in a bigger format. We have 4 of them and they keep EVERYONE entertained that picks one up. Plus- they are $20 or less...

under $20? really? i thought they cost more. i think our Learning express has them. where did you get yours?

ETA link: http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/find_it_games/index.cfm?source=google&kwid=find+it+games_Exact&gclid=CP37icX5hKICFRRM5QodeFa5GA

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=game+find+it&tag=googhydr-20&index=toys-and-games&hvadid=3228678091&ref=pd_sl_8yuw5l6r52_b

jgenie
06-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the replies - August Mom those look perfect - I want to buy one for DS1 for an upcoming trip. Is the front fabric as well? I wonder how they print the objects on there?!! I'm hoping it will keep him occupied without taking up too much room in our carryon.

fortato
06-04-2010, 08:19 AM
under $20? really? i thought they cost more. i think our Learning express has them. where did you get yours?

ETA link: http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/find_it_games/index.cfm?source=google&kwid=find+it+games_Exact&gclid=CP37icX5hKICFRRM5QodeFa5GA

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=game+find+it&tag=googhydr-20&index=toys-and-games&hvadid=3228678091&ref=pd_sl_8yuw5l6r52_b

They sell them at Target now!!!!! (Or at least the one near me.) I've seen them for $17, I think Target has them for $19.

calv
06-04-2010, 09:03 AM
They sell them at Target now!!!!! (Or at least the one near me.) I've seen them for $17, I think Target has them for $19.

THANKS Kristen. Do you know what options they have at target? I like the different themes on amazon. Didn't realize there were so many :D

lilycat88
06-04-2010, 09:48 AM
My friend makes them for only $15.00 each or 12.50 for 2 or more.

http://sewblessedin.weebly.com/products.html

fortato
06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
THANKS Kristen. Do you know what options they have at target? I like the different themes on amazon. Didn't realize there were so many :D

There are 8 of them! I've seen 4-5 different ones at Target.... The Wizard of Oz one is the newest... I'm hoping to get that one soon.
You can get them at Barnes and Noble too.... look for coupons!

fivi2
06-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I never got around to sewing the bags (there are instructions on the board somewhere) but it seems like the tube ones (which look cool) would be super easy to make. It seems like you'd just put stuff in a plastic bottle... Am I wrong? Is there something that makes it impossible to do at home?

Just wondering because I now *need* these, but I am super cheap!

fortato
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I never got around to sewing the bags (there are instructions on the board somewhere) but it seems like the tube ones (which look cool) would be super easy to make. It seems like you'd just put stuff in a plastic bottle... Am I wrong? Is there something that makes it impossible to do at home?

Just wondering because I now *need* these, but I am super cheap!

You could totally do it at home.... the thing about the tube ones is that they have a list on the top of it of the contents of the tube.

August Mom
06-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the replies - August Mom those look perfect - I want to buy one for DS1 for an upcoming trip. Is the front fabric as well? I wonder how they print the objects on there?!! I'm hoping it will keep him occupied without taking up too much room in our carryon.

The front is fabric as well. :)

Gracemom
06-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I'd love to try making one in a clear bottle for our summer road trips. Does anyone know where you would find the plastic beads that go inside? I am assuming at a craft store, but what area of the store are they in? TIA!

fivi2
06-04-2010, 07:36 PM
I'd love to try making one in a clear bottle for our summer road trips. Does anyone know where you would find the plastic beads that go inside? I am assuming at a craft store, but what area of the store are they in? TIA!

I would think you could use anything - small beans, lentils, any cheap beads etc. I don't know what the real ones are, but I would think anything would work. (maybe?)

jgenie
06-05-2010, 02:54 AM

The seller pp linked above uses rice as an alternative to the plastic beads.