PDA

View Full Version : Which of your DD's baby items would you NOT use for a boy?

ourbabygirl
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
We found out earlier today that we're having a BOY! :47:, and since I made the mistake of telling everyone w/DD that we were having a girl, I got mostly girly stuff at our showers. People gave us tons of pink & girly clothes, as well as girly burp cloths and a play mat. I tried REALLY hard to buy gender-neutral stuff (other toys & some clothes), but now I'm wracking my brain trying to think of what I have that's gender neutral and could be used for a boy. The car seat is fine, but even sippy cups, DD's play kitchen, buggy, pencil box are girly. DH, my mom, my doctor, and I were all convinced I was having another girl, and I was kind of excited to be able to use all of DD's things again (they'll be exactly 24 months apart, so seasons & sizes would have meshed). Now I need to rethink things, but I want to do it as cheaply as possible. So if any of our friends or family offers us boy hand-me-downs, I'll gladly take them, along with any other gender-neutral or boyish items. :) It's funny, I even ordered DD a pair of pink Keens from REI's sale last weekend because I was CONVINCED I was having another girl, and the sizing would probably be the same two years from now. So today I called and ordered a pair of green ones instead; luckily the cs lady was nice enough to honor the price! :D

Anyhow, what would you, personally, not be willing to use for your boy that you used previously for your daughter(s)?

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Congratulations on a baby boy!! :) No thoughts as a mom to 2 boys though. :)

Beth

Octobermommy
06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I bought mostly gender neautral for my dd which worked out well for us since we since have had 2 boys.

I personally wouldn't use pink burp cloths, toys, playmat. I have used a pink towel if that is what was on top. My ds does drive a pink car but I'm not buying another $75 car. Hopefully you will get generous gifts of blue, yellow and green things. Congrats on your boy, it is an entirely different world.

maestramommy
06-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Dresses, Tshirts that reference girls, anything pink and ruffly/lacey

crl
06-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Congratulations! Personally I would use everything except the girly clothes. Who cares if is a pink kitchen, still the same to play with. Of course I deliberately bought some blue dinosaur type clothe for dd because I liked them and I just can't figure out why girls shouldn't wear blue and shouldn't be into dinos. So I mightnnot be the best person to ask.

Catherine

mamicka
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Congratulations! Personally I would use everything except the girly clothes. Who cares if is a pink kitchen, still the same to play with. Of course I deliberately bought some blue dinosaur type clothe for dd because I liked them and I just can't figure out why girls shouldn't wear blue and shouldn't be into dinos. So I mightnnot be the best person to ask.

Catherine

:yeahthat:

baileygirl
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
I have two boys, but we still have some pink stuff (pack-n-play and swing) because they were on deep discount. I wouldn't dress my boys in girly clothes and a pink stroller or car seat might be pushing it for me...but pink kitchen, pencil box, sippy, etc wouldn't matter.

lizzywednesday
06-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat: (I am a girl who's been into dinosaurs her entire life. Sharks, too.)

I also took hand-me-downs from my nephew, who is 4mos older than DD. Lots of neutrals, but also a super-cute sleeper w/rhinos on the feet!

But ... we didn't find out what "flavor" baby we were expecting & registered for stuff that appealed to us visually. (Her carseat & stroller, for example, are green & graphite gray, etc.)

Green_Tea
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't dress my boy in ruffly, pink clothes that are clearly intended for a girl, but would absolutely not be buying a new playmat, kitchen or toys simply because the ones I have are pink.

I have two girls and then a boy. People will buy you "boy stuff". Trust me.

gobadgers
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
The only clothes we've reused for DS are sleepers. Most everything we had screamed 'girly girl'. Oh, also DS wears pink bibs at home.

We have a lot of 'gender-neutral' toys, but DS plays with the girly ones too. When I bought things I tried to go gender neutral, but not so much for gifts. He sat in a pink bouncy seat, drives a pink bus, is attached to a pink Glo-Worm. I thought DH might balk at using so much pink for his son, but it didn't seem to bother him.

DietCokeLover
06-03-2010, 05:52 PM
My DD is 11 months older than DS, so I was in your similar shoes. I used many of DDs items while in the home. I bought one or two "blue" things for DS when we were out in public. But, when we were just us at home, he might have been in pink jammies or using a pink burp cloth, etc. He slept on pink sheets in the bassinette for a while because I just couldn't justify buying more sheets for such a short amount of time.

We had a neutral stroller and neutral car seat.

Congrats!

kijip
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Everything except for the dresses and super girly clothing would be my vote. I have 2 boys though, so not a real life question for me. My older son loves pink and usually picks it for a lot of things (notebooks, his car seat, shirts, socks etc).

belovedgandp
06-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I had two boys and then the girl. My boys already have a very pink kitchen. Baby girl has definitely gotten lots of new clothes, but honestly after two boys wearing them there's not much after the infant sizes that would be worth wearing.

She has worn dinosaur PJs a lot and we're still going through Diego swim diapers.

Besides clothes I wouldn't replace anything you already have.

KrisM
06-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Although my girl is in the middle of boys, DS2 still wore pink pajamas and a pink sleep sack because the sizes worked. I didn't dress him in pink when going out, but at home at night was fine.

I wouldn't care about toys or playmats, high chair, etc.

SpaceGal
06-03-2010, 06:43 PM
I have two boys then a girl so I'm at the opposite side. I wouldn't dress a boy in anything remotely girl. Toys, bottles/cups, washcloths, home gear (swing, high chair, play pen) I would use what I had and save. I was lucky in that for both my boys I never knew what I was having so there was a lot of greens, yellows, whites and some light blues for DD to use.

The funny thing about it all is that DH is more opposed to seeing DD in boy stuff than I am. Oh well good luck. One thing about boy stuff...much less crazy than girl stuff. Just shirts, pants and shorts. Not like girls...skirts, skorts, capris, leggings....dresses...very overwhelming.

TwinFoxes
06-03-2010, 07:32 PM

Add me to the chorus :yeahthat:

Many congratulations on your new bundle of joy!

scrooks
06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm with everyone else. I use everything but girly clothes. Burp clothes, bibs and other things I think...who cares! In fact DH has been commenting lately how so many of our bottles are pink...I say...who cares! Our stoller, infant car seat, bouncy, exersaucer and most toys are very gender neutral but with other things (except clothes) I really think our fine to reuse!

MamaKath
06-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Everything but really girly clothes. And I started buying dd more gender neutral stuff at that point (lots of red instead of pink, lol).

You may get lucky in finding someone else to trade with- my sister had a boy first round, kept all her stuff and ended up with a girl. I had a girl first go round and boy second, so we swapped the gender specific stuff that we could.

newg
06-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Like pp said..........I'd use everything except maybe the girly clothes. We tried to be gender neutral with our big stuff (stroller, carseat, pnp,......) but we were totally ready for a boy to be sitting in the pink bouncy seat someone got us for DD, and use the other "girly" colored stuff we have.

Even with this future DD, I am going to have to go out and buy some clothes because she is being born in a totally different season. So I'm planning on going through the clothes and what she won't be able to wear, or I don't want to save, I am going to sell and then use that money towards new (or slightly used) clothes.
You could always do that.

stonecali
06-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Luckily, we did not find out what we were having the first time around, so I got a TON of little tiny clothes and blankets that were gender neutral. We did have pink things (I couldn't resist) so I definitely used pink burp cloths, blankets etc at home with DS. In public, I didn't use those items (mostly because I had so many gender neutral ones already). I don't know, I was always worried people would think DS was a girl if I did that. I am probably scarred from all the comments asking me "how old is your son?" when I was carting around DD in her gender neutral stuff (this was easily remedied by a pink bow headband, so we survived).

That said.... I am currently training DS in his sister's 2T pink undies. He has no clue. LOL

melrose7
06-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I have a lot of pink/girly things as I had 2 DDs and just had my DS. He isn't wearing any of the pink girly clothes except for those few gender neutral clothes DDs had. But some of the burp cloths were pink or girlish and I will use those if all the white ones are dirty. a lot of the pink bibs say something like "daddy's princess" or "mommy sweet little girl" and I can't get myself to use those. we haven't needed bibs yet but I'm glad I received some boy bibs already.

goldenpig
06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Congrats on your upcoming boy! We were in the same situation, all my stuff including our stroller and carseat combo was pink, not to mention almost all of her clothes. I was totally shocked I was having a boy...didn't expect it at all! I was so worried about what to do with all the baby stuff, but it turned out to be not such a big deal. I bought a new cover for the infant carseat. I couldn't get the stroller fabric off though, so it's still sitting in my garage while I figure out if I want to sell it or keep it. I did use that as an excuse to get new strollers though ;) (both a single AND a double!). I bought a used blue bouncy seat just like DD's pink papasan "princess chair" off another mom in my mom's group...I was going to sell the pink one but DD wouldn't let me when she saw it, so now she sits in it and so does DS (it's handy to have an extra one especially with two floors). I gave my sister most of DD's pink clothes (except one tub with her most special outfits...I think we are done but you never know). I just couldn't bear to make DS wear stuff that said "Thank heaven for little girls" or "Daddy's little princess"! :ROTFLMAO: But I got tons of boy outfits either as gifts from the grandmothers & my friends, a few hand-me-downs, or on sale at BRU or online, so we're all set. I also started buying a few more boy things for DD to wear, like a red parka/snowsuit, pajamas, and a few boy outfits from Tea/Hanna so that she could pass some things down to DS. But I still am buying girl clothes for her...it wouldn't look right to have her wear boy stuff all the time. All the pink burp cloths/bibs/towels I still use for DS though, and some pink swaddles/blankets at home. All of our toys are pretty gender neutral (including the dollhouse) and I hope DS will play with the dolls, toy kitchen etc. as well. Good luck and you'll have fun shopping for boy stuff too!

ETA: Don't bother replacing the pink playmat/toys...I doubt your DS will care. But shoes usually get pretty worn out, so don't worry about passing those down.

Uno-Mom
06-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm pretty safe from this dilema because I was fierce in telling everyong "no pink" for my DD. (Don't get me started...)

But here's something nobody's mentioned:

I would consider whether a certain piece of equipment would be in a lot of photos... it would be annoying to be a gradeschool boy and have photo albums full of you in a pink princess bouncer, KWIM? Boys go through a period when that would just be devastating.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for just learning to deal. A few shots here and there in pink pjs, no problem. Tell him: "real men aren't afraid to wear pink!" :)

jennifera
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Believe it or not, up until the 1940's pink was for boys and blue was for girls, It was only from the 1940's to present that they for some reason they changed it, So now blue is for boys and pink is for girls.

MamaKath
02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Congrats!!! I think one of each "flavor" is fun!!!

Do you have any friends or relatives who had boys first and are now onto girls that you can swap with? My sister and I had opposite gender kids first round (ds, dd) and then second round (dd, ds) so we traded most things that were not sentimental.

Ceepa
02-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Just noting that this thread is from the beginning of last summer. It still has useful opinions, but throwing out a heads up.

MommyAllison
02-05-2011, 10:56 PM
We re-used pretty much all of our gear - car seat, high chair, boppy, swing, bouncy seat, playgym/mat, some blankets. We had a fair number of gender neutral clothes for the first few months, not so much after that, though DD wears some "boy" print jammies, so those are still being passed down. We bought new crib bedding, though some of the sheets from DD are still being used for DS' toddler bed. Both kids play with DD's pink play kitchen - I wouldn't worry about toys. Nobody bats an eye when DS plays with pink/"girly" toys, since he has a big sister.

ETA: Oops, didn't even notice the date. Thanks for the heads up, Ceepa.

Uno-Mom
02-05-2011, 11:03 PM
That's goofy. I was curiously reading and then ... hey presto ... came accross my own name!! WTH? Is that like the opposite of deja vu?

Well, since it was resurrected - "Ourbabygirl: - what did you end up doing? Is your little boy rolling around on a pink playmat?

ourbabygirl
02-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks, Everyone!

No, I actually was able to sell my play mat to a friend who had twin girls recently, and I bought a different one (Tiny Love Gymini) from someone nearby on CL... I actually met her about a month or so after, at ECFE, and she remembered that I had bought it from her. ;)
So I bought that, as well as a bunch of new burp cloths that were more neutral & go better with our home décor (greens & browns), and that's probably about it. Luckily our nursery was already gender neutral (in fact, it was a bit more boyish), and I haven't really bought much else. I didn't get any hand-me-downs from my SILs who recently had babies (one had another girl, so I gave her and the twin-mom friend most of my girl stuff- clothes, blankets, burp cloths, shoes & boots, etc.; the other had another boy, so she used the boy clothes she already had), but I've had fun buying some stuff at garage & consignment sales.

It's been soooooooo fun having our sweet little boy (he's 4 months now); I never imagined how much I would love having a son, and I love that he's not as high-maintenance as DD (in personality & clothing options). :)
We're very happy with our family and will probably stop at 2, so I'm starting to go through all the baby stuff and get it ready to consign in March.

elephantmeg
02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
my kids share the pink car and I wouldn't care about the kitchen (but I do have a gender neutral one). I used DS' burp clothes with DD around the house and kept pink ones in the diaper bag for use outside. She also wore boy PJ's as back ups (I had 3 or so pink ones and if she went through those she wore his old ones). I used the jeans that were fairly plain and jean shorts. But otherwise they wore seperate stuff etc.